"And then having a dual-threat quarterback makes it way easier." | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"And then having a dual-threat quarterback makes it way easier."

Do you remember when Ben would actually substitute for Wally on a third and ten? What was the other QB's name - Rich King or something like that?

Yep, Rick King I believe is correct. Ran into him once on a Friday night at a bar when I was trying to get lucky. Seemed like a nice guy. Ben did not exactly run a wide open offense that featured a passing game.

I just looked it up. Wally had a completion pct of 38.8 is 1964 and King 45.6%. Floyd threw 6 passes and completed 4! But Wally RIP had an average of 4.2 ypc.

PassingRkPlayerCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate1Walley Mahle338538.83353.90.72763.22Rich King265745.62925.12.72486.23Floyd Little4666.7172.86.210145.5

They haven't done much with it (methinks mainly because the wrs are not deep threats) but I've seen no prob with hunts arm so far. He isn't Allen but there aren't a lot of those guys. His biggest arm strength issue won't be a 45 yard vertical anyway. It will be a 15-20 out from the opposite hash. That's where arm strength plays a much bigger role. Look if drew Brees can get by...I think hunt can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

i dont think its even close. nunes made bad decisions but it wasnt that he had a terrible arm.

you have seen the coaches choose Allen.. you have seen Allen make bad decisions, not be moveable in the pocket, and slow to get the plays set.. why did he get the job over Hunt then?

Your evidence is a play where he gets a 10 yd run before launching it as proof of arm strenght. Yeesh.

i think you might want to ask the coaches about arm strength.. there is a reason the play calls have changed with Hunt in..

To me is that he hits his targets in stride for maximum YAC. Allen's receivers had to come back or slow down as he wasnt as accurate.

I really wonder what Hunts receiver's average YAC is - maybe Im proven wrong statistically but it sure seems like it.

They haven't done much with it (methinks mainly because the wrs are not deep threats) but I've seen no prob with hunts arm so far. He isn't Allen but there aren't a lot of those guys. His biggest arm strength issue won't be a 45 yard vertical anyway. It will be a 15-20 out from the opposite hash. That's where arm strength plays a much bigger role. Look if drew Brees can get by...I think hunt can

-

I never saw Allen make any throws to lead me to beilieve he has a stronger arm than Hunt. Perhaps that myth was formed out of expection of a 6'5 230 lb qb?

i think you might want to ask the coaches about arm strength.. there is a reason the play calls have changed with Hunt in..

Allen had one deep ball. The rest were bubble screens and check downs and quick slants. If anything the passes down the field have increased since Hunt came in.

Allen had one deep ball. The rest were bubble screens and check downs and quick slants. If anything the passes down the field have increased since Hunt came in.

Allen threw at least two deep passes OOB and a couple of other were several yards over the receiver. He has many opportunities to show what he could do and as I recall he threw one 55 yarder to Kobena that would have been a TD had it not been under-thrown.

Allen is apparently just not a gamer and Hunt is.

Allen's "Big Arm" got us in "Big Trouble".

Hunt's field vision and decision making are light years better. My question is, how the coaches thought that Allen had better "command" of the team/offense.

Not comparing Hunt to Montana by any means but Montana always was a gamer and didn't have a rocket arm. He always made the right decisions, saw the field, had some escapability, etc.

Similar traits that Hunt has, just on an entirely different level.

I never saw Allen make any throws to lead me to beilieve he has a stronger arm than Hunt. Perhaps that myth was formed out of expection of a 6'5 230 lb qb?

i'm with ya. i've seen a couple strong throws that were out of bounds up the sidelines by Allen. It doesn't matter if you can throw it 60 yards if you can't get it to the person. count my in the camp of having no clue what won Allen the job

i'm with ya. i've seen a couple strong throws that were out of bounds up the sidelines by Allen. It doesn't matter if you can throw it 60 yards if you can't get it to the person. count my in the camp of having no clue what won Allen the job

He probably looked great in skelly drills. The youtube video of his offseason passing work at OU looked fantastic. With a pass rush in his face he wasn't stepping into any throws.

Ball comes out of Allen's hand faster...no q about it.

-

When he steps into throws perhaps. He was short arming too many throws due to only using his arm strentgh to get to ball out thus I thought pass rush in his face (real or perceived) may have been the issue. Doesn't matter much at this point though and hopefully won't again.

That's probably why so many of his passes got batted down, throwing without checking for defenders.
Different game when defenders are coming at you...

Ball comes out of Allen's hand faster...n

I don't thimk so at all.

Allen tends to rotate his grip before he releases.

In my opinion Hunt has a much quicker release.

The deep ball is so over rated. Way more big plays from intermediate passing game where a wr can make a guy miss and then pick up big yardage. Higher percentage play.

Explain that to Baylor.

Allen threw at least two deep passes OOB and a couple of other were several yards over the receiver. He has many opportunities to show what he could do and as I recall he threw one 55 yarder to Kobena that would have been a TD had it not been under-thrown.

Allen is apparently just not a gamer and Hunt is.

You proved my point. He had one completed deep ball of 55 yards. He threw a few others that we incompletions - the rest we're dump downs and designed screens, short passes. Hunt hasn't thrown as deep, but has hit a boat load more intermediate throws to guys in stride. His longest was to West I believe and he hit him in stride, while Kobena had to come back for the ball.

Hunt seems to have his OC's trust. Why is Allen running the ball in the Tulane game?!?

I don't thimk so at all.

Allen tends to rotate his grip before he releases.

In my opinion Hunt has a much quicker release.
It's not the speed of the release I'm talking about, it's the velocity of the ball. Hunts the better qb but Allen has superior arm strength

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1