and this is why WAR is so wrong so often | Syracusefan.com

and this is why WAR is so wrong so often

upperdeck

Living Legend
false output of WAR

in one single play so many people did the wrong thing and it rewards people based on some stats when it doesnt really know what the correct play should be and because a player slides poorly and makes an out even more people get rewarded.

large samples smooth outliers

It likely quantifies players into groupings but not into proper values.. And then when people try to go back and create WAR on older players to compare to which were dont with less info the comparisons break down..

if you do just a few parts right alot you WAR gets more value just because you had more attempts. It didnt remove any WAR for all the things done wrong that were not part of the play or reward players for doing things well that are not part of the play.

if the runner on first outruns the play and getst o 3rd because of outstanding base running but has to to back to 2nd because of poor baserunning thats not rewarded at all and that happens dozens of times a game.

bad positioning is rewarded if the ball ends up there because it doesnt know what to do.

i'm a stats guy.. but creating a false stat to quantify who is a better player than applying it poorly is just dumb.

Yes, stats like hits, errors, and batting average are the way to measure a player’s value. They never reward a player for doing the wrong thing or penalize a player for doing the right thing.

P.S. Even the most hardcore stat-head/sabermetric/analytics person would never sell WAR, WARP, or any other advanced stat as an ultimate be-all-end-all stat. They are additional tools and perspectives through which we can consider players’ values. I am always puzzled when people are adverse to additional information.

Last edited:
if its not correct.. and if you read the story you see they make up numbers and apply results to plays in ways that are inconsistent.

its a metric to compare players but its used to decide who is good and thats not the same thing.

if its not correct.. and if you read the story you see they make up numbers and apply results to plays in ways that are inconsistent.

its a metric to compare players but its used to decide who is good and thats not the same thing.
I read the story. Each site calculates these things differently. I don’t see where numbers were made up or applied inconsistently on each site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom