..and what do the Presidents of ACC Universities think of the GOR... | Syracusefan.com

..and what do the Presidents of ACC Universities think of the GOR...

arbitragegls

All Conference
well its all good news...and going to be the driving force in bringing the ACC Network to fruition.
Interestingly, some of the comments directly link the GOR to the ACC Network (see link below). This has been alluded to previously. ESPN was prepared to move forward so long as the ACC teams would commit to a GOR--simply put ESPN was tired of shelling out dollars every year that a new team was added and/or a team left a conference (don't be surprised if the SEC follows suit with a GOR of its own in the near future).
There is much left to reveal over the next several months. One that I believe will be interesting is to see a possible reorganization of the ACC football divisions--as posted yesterday this was one of the negotiation points to get FSU to sign the GOR--another is what "look and feel" the ACC Network will have...and whether it will be competitive to or in part partner with the SEC Network in some way down the road. Remember ESPN is involved in both.
And third, what of the Big 12 and its GOR that will end prior to the ACC's GOR ending. Does this open up possibilities of a Texas move to the ACC in next several years...(this is being thought about due to the recent prognostications of Oklahoma to B1G...(pay side thread).

It is good to be 'Cuse!!!!

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com...eact-to-mondays-grant-of-rights-announcement/

Oklahoma is the lynchpin. As soon as the BiG announces, Texas has to make a decision. Everything I heard about the impending Oklahoma announcement, from solid sources, is in the pay thread for those interested.

Sucks to be the Dude.

Love it...wonder if the folks at UMD are suffering sellers remorse?

well its all good news...and going to be the driving force in bringing the ACC Network to fruition.
Interestingly, some of the comments directly link the GOR to the ACC Network (see link below). This has been alluded to previously. ESPN was prepared to move forward so long as the ACC teams would commit to a GOR--simply put ESPN was tired of shelling out dollars every year that a new team was added and/or a team left a conference (don't be surprised if the SEC follows suit with a GOR of its own in the near future).
There is much left to reveal over the next several months. One that I believe will be interesting is to see a possible reorganization of the ACC football divisions--as posted yesterday this was one of the negotiation points to get FSU to sign the GOR--another is what "look and feel" the ACC Network will have...and whether it will be competitive to or in part partner with the SEC Network in some way down the road. Remember ESPN is involved in both.
And third, what of the Big 12 and its GOR that will end prior to the ACC's GOR ending. Does this open up possibilities of a Texas move to the ACC in next several years...(this is being thought about due to the recent prognostications of Oklahoma to B1G...(pay side thread).

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com...eact-to-mondays-grant-of-rights-announcement/

Arb... Have you heard of these rumblings of UT and the ACC at all, albeit down the road? Seems like with ND in the fold, Texas would be interested in looking this way, no??

It's going to be challenging to realign and keep everyone happy. At a minimum, I assume GT and FSU will be in the same division. Maybe they should just put FSU, Miami, GT all in the same division. That league has survived this long without that dream of a annual FSU-Miami rematch in the conference championship game. At this point, I'm not even sure that's such a great idea anyway.

Putting VT and UVA in with BC, SU, Pitt, Louisville, one other in some type of Northern division is going to be met with a lot of resistance. May have to guarantee them a little more ND access as a negotiating point. Plus who is the one other. Clemson for balance? That puts them on a bit of a geographic island based on trying to go North/South. Loading up Clemson, FSU, Miami in the same division is a tough sell too.

It's going to be challenging to realign and keep everyone happy. At a minimum, I assume GT and FSU will be in the same division. Maybe they should just put FSU, Miami, GT all in the same division. That league has survived this long without that dream of a annual FSU-Miami rematch in the conference championship game. At this point, I'm not even sure that's such a great idea anyway.

Putting VT and UVA in with BC, SU, Pitt, Louisville, one other in some type of Northern division is going to be met with a lot of resistance. May have to guarantee them a little more ND access as a negotiating point. Plus who is the one other. Clemson for balance? That puts them on a bit of a geographic island based on trying to go North/South. Loading up Clemson, FSU, Miami in the same division is a tough sell too.

If this was done to meet a request by Florida State, then it means swapping Georgia Tech for either Boston College or Syracuse. Florida State will want Miami in the other division as long as they are their designated rival to play every year. Florida State has complained for a decade about not being able to play Georgia Tech more often, so I imagine that whatever is done will accomplish that. The other thing they haven't liked is Boston College in their division. They don't have anything against BC, but the two schools are from different worlds literally, geographically and culturally. At the same time that Florida State doesn't want BC, Miami does want BC. Miami and BC have history. So I can easily see a Georgia Tech for Boston College swap.

It will be interesting to watch, but this move will make FSU happy.

mason/dixon line conf divisions is not a good idea, needs to be a melting pot.

id prefer old NFL like scheduling, coupled with this pod system everyone thinks is all the rage. you play your pod every year, but other than that, its just 5 random games to make up the conf slate. there is not divisions, just 1 big group of 15 or 16. after that either the top 2 teams play with a tiebreaker system, or its a vote by the ADs.

this divisions needed for a champ game rule is antiquated already.

Georgia Tech with Florida State can be done easily without destroying the status quo much, but we will have to wait as it relates to divisional realignment.

Straight swap with Louisville is the easiest. They'll have no ACC history to upset.

this divisions needed for a champ game rule is antiquated already.

I completely agree with this. How do they go about unwinding it with the NCAA? I never really understood the NCAA's tough guy position with Conference Championship games, even back when they denied the ACC having one with 11 teams.

Let the leagues decide how they want to do it, whether or not they want a conf championship game, and how to decide who plays in it. It doesn't need NCAA regulation. And it could resolve a lot of scheduling issues in the newly expanded conferences like the ACC, B1G, SEC.

I completely agree with this. How do they go about unwinding it with the NCAA? I never really understood the NCAA's tough guy position with Conference Championship games, even back when they denied the ACC having one with 11 teams.

Let the leagues decide how they want to do it, whether or not they want a conf championship game, and how to decide who plays in it. It doesn't need NCAA regulation. And it could resolve a lot of scheduling issues in the newly expanded conferences like the ACC, B1G, SEC.
all it takes is the ACC, b1g, pac & SEC going to the NCAA and telling them that they are going to crown a champion that way.

what they should also do, is add that you must have 12 teams to do this...thus putting the screws to the bevo.

Oh Lord

The NCAA's insistence on enforcing the 12-team-minimum rule to hold conference championships, which was a DIVISION THREE rule applied to the SEC back in the early 90s, was a HUGE catalyst for all of the realignment that's occured over the past two decades.

Such an overlooked point. The NCAA caused so much pain over enforcing an arbitrary, unnecessary rule. Which of course is their M.O.

DAMNIT!! What is the #1 Rule of the Pay Side!?!?!?...We don't talk about the Pay Side!!! You are awarded no Tee's for this post and may God have mercy on your soul!!!

Oklahoma is the lynchpin. As soon as the BiG announces, Texas has to make a decision. Everything I heard about the impending Oklahoma announcement, from solid sources, is in the pay thread for those interested.

Sucks to be the Dude.

See post above this one...same goes for you!!

all it takes is the ACC, b1g, pac & SEC going to the NCAA and telling them that they are going to crown a champion that way.

what they should also do, is add that you must have 12 teams to do this...thus putting the screws to the bevo.

Oh Lord

With the ACC's GOR news, I think we'll know soon whether or not the Bevo is interested in a conf championship game. Before ACC news, probably held out some hope of landing some ACC teams. Now we'll see if someone from the group of Boise, BYU, Cincy gets invites to bring Bevo to 12. If not, then I think they're comfortable avoiding that game, and its potential barrier for the Texas/OU winner to be in the national championship game if they otherwise run the table in the league. No conference championship knocked more teams out of the title game than the Big 12 back in the day.

DAMNIT!! What is the #1 Rule of the Pay Side!?!?!?...We don't talk about the Pay Side!!! You are awarded no Tee's for this post and may God have mercy on your soul!!!
You missed an obvious Fight Club analogy as well 1st RULE: You do not talk about Pay Side. 2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about Pay Side. 3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the pay side is over. 4th RULE: Only two opinions to a post. 5th RULE: One post at a time. 6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes. 7th RULE: Posts will go on as long as they have to.
8th RULE: If this is your first night atPAY SIDE , you HAVE to post.
There ya go.:)

With the ACC's GOR news, I think we'll know soon whether or not the Bevo is interested in a conf championship game. Before ACC news, probably held out some hope of landing some ACC teams. Now we'll see if someone from the group of Boise, BYU, Cincy gets invites to bring Bevo to 12. If not, then I think they're comfortable avoiding that game, and its potential barrier for the Texas/OU winner to be in the national championship game if they otherwise run the table in the league. No conference championship knocked more teams out of the title game than the Big 12 back in the day.
agree.

and thats why i think the 'Core 4' or this Group of 4 with 12+, should enforce this Champ game requirement or weigh it heavily for deciding who gets into the playoff.

if everyone else is doing it, why should the bevo send the winner of texas/oklahoma from the 2nd weekend in Oct or whatever to the F4??

shlit.

You missed an obvious Fight Club analogy as well 1st RULE: You do not talk about Pay Side. 2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about Pay Side. 3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the pay side is over. 4th RULE: Only two opinions to a post. 5th RULE: One post at a time. 6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes, no problem. 7th RULE: Posts will go on as long as they have to.
8th RULE: If this is your first night atPAY SIDE , you HAVE to post.
There ya go.:)

Fixed for ya...contributes to the relaxed atmosphere over there...

mason/dixon line conf divisions is not a good idea, needs to be a melting pot.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Mason/Dixon divisions are the ONLY way to set up the league. Besides creating natural geographic rivalries, it would play right into the natural history of this area. I understand the racist undertones here, but we are nearly 150 years removed from the civil war.

I say play it up. Mason/Dixon……North/South……Red States/Blue States……Yankee/Reb……MSG/Greensboro……Big East/ACC

It would make for fantastic story lines throughout the year.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Mason/Dixon divisions are the ONLY way to set up the league. Besides creating natural geographic rivalries, it would play right into the natural history of this area. I understand the racist undertones here, but we are nearly 150 years removed from the civil war.

I say play it up. Mason/Dixon……North/South……Red States/Blue States……Yankee/Reb……MSG/Greensboro……Big East/ACC

good lord, it has nothing to racist undertones, it has EVERYTHING to do with the northern teams should be able to play often in the south and vice versa.

Yeah and the first time a Southerner/Reb brings a Confederate flag to a northern school stadium and riot starts, we will have another division realignment...

Never been a big fan of the pod system, but it makes too much sense to ignore. You play everyone so much more than you would. I think you make the same pods for football and basketball and hope that Louisville is in Syracuses pod because I believe that is starting to become a real rivalry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom