..and what do the Presidents of ACC Universities think of the GOR... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

..and what do the Presidents of ACC Universities think of the GOR...

@slmandel: ACC's new deal w/ ESPN that increases from $17M per school to $20M is separate from a possible ACC Network
but this tops that...and it is what Swofford said today about the GOR:
Stewart Mandel ‏ @ slmandel 52s
John Swofford on the ACC Grant of Rights: "Our presidents and ADs got tired of the rumors out there, which were unfounded."

so i guess a big round of applause to thank the DudeWVU, MHver3, Swaim and Doc...good job...hope you are looking for some $$$ from the ACC.

Never been a big fan of the pod system, but it makes too much sense to ignore. You play everyone so much more than you would. I think you make the same pods for football and basketball and hope that Louisville is in Syracuses pod because I believe that is starting to become a real rivalry.

Honestly, I couldn't be more opposed to the ACC adding two of what's currently available. Doesn't need any more mouths to feed.

But I'll be damned these 7-team divisions don't cut it. Seven mandated games are more than any team in league need. There are too many games that take place every single year that don't serve any purpose. I've been starting to think like you think. Pods of four, or even five in a 20 team league, mean you're only married to three or four mandated games. That means you can rotate through the rest so much more quickly. I mean, does Syracuse REALLY need to play Wake Forest every damn year at the expense of virtually never seeing Miami or Virginia Tech?

I honestly hope somehow WVU and someone else of at least passable gridiron performance comes available. I think pods are the best solution for the ACC, maybe better than any other conference.

In 2026-2027 when we are old if WVU and ND end up as 15 and 16.
The ACC should adapt this

North
BC
Pitt
SU
ND

Mid-Atlantic
UVA
VPI
WVU
Louisville

Tobacco
Wake
NC State
Duke
North Carolina

Sunshine
Clemson
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech

Each year you play your pod and 1 other pod and the teams that finished in the same position as you did the previous year a la the NFL. This way as soon as the season ends you know who your opponents are for the next year. If Florida State wins the Sunshine and North Carolina wins the Tobacco they will play more frequently and generate better TV matchups. You would play each pod every 3 years and see all the teams atleast once over 3 years.
Year 1 Northeast plays Mid-Atlantic and Tobacco plays Sunshine
Year 2 Northeast plays Tobacco and Mid-Atlantic plays Sunshine
Year 3 Northeast plays Sunshine and Tobacco plays Mid-Atlantic
and it rotates.

In 2026-2027 when we are old if WVU and ND end up as 15 and 16.
The ACC should adapt this

North
BC
Pitt
SU
ND

Mid-Atlantic
UVA
VPI
WVU
Louisville

Tobacco
Wake
NC State
Duke
North Carolina

Sunshine
Clemson
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech

Each year you play your pod and 1 other pod and the teams that finished in the same position as you did the previous year a la the NFL. This way as soon as the season ends you know who your opponents are for the next year. If Florida State wins the Sunshine and North Carolina wins the Tobacco they will play more frequently and generate better TV matchups. You would play each pod every 3 years and see all the times atleast once over 3 years.
Year 1 Northeast plays Mid-Atlantic and Tobacco plays Sunshine
Year 2 Northeast plays Tobacco and Mid-Atlantic plays Sunshine
Year 3 Northeast plays Sunshine and Tobacco plays Mid-Atlantic
and it rotates.

The NCAA doesn't allow pods. You have to have 2 seperate divisions, and you have to play everyone within your division in order to have a Conference Championship Game,

In order for your idea to work, the ACC would have to have 8 teams officially swap divisions every year. I'm not sure the public would buy it. Too much confusion.

Not sure this is NCAA-legal but could the ACC just have one single division and the top 2 teams at the end of the year play each other for the ACC 'ship? That way a 6-6 GT team doesn't get a shot to play in the Orange Bowl.

Not sure this is NCAA-legal but could the ACC just have one single division and the top 2 teams at the end of the year play each other for the ACC 'ship? That way a 6-6 GT team doesn't get a shot to play in the Orange Bowl.

That won't fly either.

Of course, if Miami and UNC weren't naughty, GaTech wouldn't have been in play.

So is this GOR better than the Bevo 12 one that we always mock the 'neers fans about?

So is this GOR better than the Bevo 12 one that we always mock the 'neers fans about?
Its the same exact thing that the Big XII signed except the ACC GOR are in effect till 2026-2027 and the Big XII's expire after the 2016-2017 season.

Honestly, I couldn't be more opposed to the ACC adding two of what's currently available. Doesn't need any more mouths to feed.

But I'll be damned these 7-team divisions don't cut it. Seven mandated games are more than any team in league need. There are too many games that take place every single year that don't serve any purpose. I've been starting to think like you think. Pods of four, or even five in a 20 team league, mean you're only married to three or four mandated games. That means you can rotate through the rest so much more quickly. I mean, does Syracuse REALLY need to play Wake Forest every damn year at the expense of virtually never seeing Miami or Virginia Tech?

I honestly hope somehow WVU and someone else of at least passable gridiron performance comes available. I think pods are the best solution for the ACC, maybe better than any other conference.

I agree, but the NCAA is, for reasons known only to them, adamant about their arbitrary rules on how a conference has to be constructed in order to hold a championship game. It's so amazing that they abdicate any potential authority on so many important issues, but dammit if they don't lay down the law when it comes to pods!

I'm not sure it works, but probably the best thing the ACC could do is radically realign and drop the fixed divisional cross-over games. Just make sure you get as many "necessary" annual games into each division. Sadly there's no perfect way of doing it, the league just doesn't lend itself to it from a geographic and competitive balance standpoint.

Would need something to the effect of...

Division A:
FSU
Miami
Clemson
GaTech
Syracuse
BC
Pitt

Division B:
UVA
VaTech
UNC
NC State
Duke
Wake
Louisville

You could then just have teams play 2 of their non-division opponents every year on a rotating basis, and at least you'd see everyone every 3 1/2 years. Far from ideal, but better than seeing them every 6 years.

Atlantic
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
NC State
Syracuse
Wake Forest

Coastal
Boston College
Duke
Miami
North Carolina
Pitt
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Crossovers
Syracuse-Boston College
Florida State-Miami(Fl)
NC State-North Carolina
Clemson-Virginia Tech
Wake-Duke
Louisville-Pitt
Georgia Tech-Virginia

This puts BC with old Big East rivals Miami, Virginia Tech, Pitt and playing Syracuse each year and Florida State gets Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Miami each year and Lou_C's fanbase can't complain.

Its the same exact thing that the Big XII signed except the ACC GOR are in effect till 2026-2027 and the Big XII's expire after the 2016-2017 season.

I'm not sure this is true. I think the big 12 gor lasts longer. At least that's what Wikipedia implies.

I'm not sure this is true. I think the big 12 gor lasts longer. At least that's what Wikipedia implies.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...g-media-rights-deal-worth-at-least-26-billion
When WVU joined in 2011 the conference agreed to a 6 year GOR.
The schools agreed in September(2012) to a six-year grant of rights. That means if any school left for another conference during that time period, the conference would still own the school’s TV rights.

Thus, unless the Big XII has agreed to longer GOR which hasn't been be made public they can be poached in 5 more season which is a closer than the ACC's expiration of 2026.

I think that is an out dated deal (again not positive)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8346345/big-12-announces-media-deal-abc-espn-fox

The Big 12 Conference announced Friday it has reached an agreement on a 13-year media rights deal with ABC/ESPN and Fox.

The deal is worth $2.6 billion, an average of $200 million per year and worth $20 million per school, industry sources told ESPN.

The package will run through the 2024-25 school year. ABC/ESPN and Fox will share the league's football inventory, while ABC/ESPN will be the exclusive provider for Big 12 men's basketball.

ESPN spokesperson Josh Krulewitz declined comment.

"The stability of the Big 12 Conference is cemented," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "We are positioned with one of the best media rights arrangements in collegiate sports, providing the conference and its members unprecedented revenue growth, and sports programming over two networks."

The deal includes a "grant of rights" agreement, meaning if a Big 12 school leaves for another league in the next 13 years, that school's media rights, including revenue, would remain with the Big 12 and not its new conference.

If so, all hell may break loose in 2025-26. :)

The NCAA doesn't allow pods. You have to have 2 seperate divisions, and you have to play everyone within your division in order to have a Conference Championship Game,

In order for your idea to work, the ACC would have to have 8 teams officially swap divisions every year. I'm not sure the public would buy it. Too much confusion.
Why the hel! does the NCAA care one way or the other about pods? Why the hel! did they care about needing 12 teams to have a championship game? I don't get it.

It might be a bit confusing at first, but people would get used to it.
Divide the teams into pods. Each year two pods are assigned to a logical division.
The ACC's official standings would show which pods are included in the divisions, e.g.:

Atlantic (North and Carolina)
Syracuse 7-1
Notre Dame 5-3
UNC 5-3
Pitt 4-4
Wake Forest 4-4
NC State 3-5
Boston College 2-6
Duke 1-7

I wholeheartedly disagree. Mason/Dixon divisions are the ONLY way to set up the league. Besides creating natural geographic rivalries, it would play right into the natural history of this area. I understand the racist undertones here, but we are nearly 150 years removed from the civil war.

I say play it up. Mason/Dixon……North/South……Red States/Blue States……Yankee/Reb……MSG/Greensboro……Big East/ACC

It would make for fantastic story lines throughout the year.
This idea, of course, is not lost on ESPN.

South: Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami
Central 1: Duke, UNC, UVa
Central 2: NCST, VT, Wake
North: BC, LVille, Pitt, Syr

Alternate divisions by flipping the central pods north and south:

Odd Years
South: Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami, Duke, UNC, UVa
North: BC, Louisville, Pitt, Syr, NCST, VT, Wake

Even Years
South: Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami, NCST, VT, Wake
North: BC, Louisville, Pitt, Syr, Duke, UNC, UVa

Out of Division Games:
Central 1 and Central 2 get one fixed OOD game (VT-UVA, UNC-NCSU, Duke/Wake), and play the other two cross podders every other year

North and South play two of the other teams every other year with no fixed opponent.

And voila, all 14 teams will play 3 opponents every year, and the other 10 members every other year, plus everybody plays the majority of their games in their own region.

The southern division will usually be stronger, but let it be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom