Class of 2016 - Andrew White iii... the third | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White iii... the third

Status
Not open for further replies.
That the team is national title caliber sans adding White.

They're probably a borderline top 25 team without White.

Sorry but this is a borderline post.

You don't go from Top 5 to out of the Top 25 due to one player. He's good and would fill a hole, but there are plenty of good players on the roster (Battle, Lydon and your boy Gillon to name a few). First two of those have a chance to be 1st round draft picks next season.

Top 25 with or without him. Title contender with him.

Oh good. So you have a place to stay when we play the Final Four here. My house is getting full quickly!!
If you ever are in town, we have great SU game watches here.
Unless he gets reassigned :(

Sorry but this is a borderline post.

You don't go from Top 5 to out of the Top 25 due to one player. He's good and would fill a hole, but there are plenty of good players on the roster (Battle, Lydon and your boy Gillon to name a few). First two of those have a chance to be 1st round draft picks next season.

Top 25 with or without him. Title contender with him.

Complete bunk. Happens all the time.

There are other good players on the roster, too. That part I agree with. Apparently, you agree with my position, as well, as I've stated numerous times that we were a borderline top 25 team without him, and a title contender with him.

Complete bunk. Happens all the time.

There are other good players on the roster, too. That part I agree with. Apparently, you agree with my position, as well, as I've said that we were a borderline top 25 team without him.

Yeah, it happens all the time with lottery picks! Not 2nd Team All-Big 12 guys who played on a terrible team and have already been evaluated as a 2nd round choice by NBA scouts.

Think White is a very good piece to our puzzle and would love to have him, but we are not a borderline Top 25 team without him. We are squarely within those parameters.

Yeah, it happens all the time with lottery picks! Not 2nd Team All-Big 12 guys who played on a terrible team and have already been evaluated as a 2nd round choice by NBA scouts.

Think White is a very good piece to our puzzle and would love to have him, but we are not a borderline Top 25 team without him. We are squarely within those parameters.

Nonsense. This board gets so hung up on NBA draft status, some fail to recognize that players can be outstanding college basketball players and be just as impactful / valuable AT THIS LEVEL without being lottery picks. White averaged ~17 ppg in the big 10--him being rated as a second round pick doesn't change the fact that he'll step right in and provide stability, shooting, and veteran scoring / leadership on a team that on paper lacks it. His scoring / shooting efficiency has already been documented, and the advanced stats speak for themselves. To say nothing of how his superlative three point shooting would help space the floor and create space for guys inside and Battle / Gillon / Howard to drive.

Adding a shooter to a team that already has Battle, Lydon, and Gillon, but no legitimate 3 and only Lydon as a proven shooter would be a huge "get."

And I'm not going to split hairs with you over one word. Christ. I am 100% certain that if we don't land White, that we won't start out the season in the top 25, having lost our top three scorers, and two senior guards. Those are the parameters that we are squarely within.

Maybe the team would prove to be better than that, maybe they won't. But the latter is no guarantee. With White, they shatter that and should be one of the top teams in college ball--regardless of how the NBA views him.

Last edited:
Nonsense. This board gets so hung up on NBA draft status, that they fail to recognize that players can be outstanding college basketball players and be just as important, and just as good. White averaged ~17 ppg in the big 10. He'll step right in and provide stability, shooting, and veteran scoring / leadership on a team that on paper lacks it. His scoring / shooting efficiency has already been documented, and the advanced stats speak for themselves. To say nothing of his superlative three point shooting.

Adding a shooter to a team that already has Battle, Lydon, and Gillon, but no legitimate 3 and only Lydon as a proven shooter would be a huge "get."

And I'm not going to split hairs with you over one word. Christ. I am 100% certain that if we don't land White, that we won't start out the season in the top 25, having lost our top three scorers and two senior guards. Those are the parameters that we are squarely within.

Maybe the team would prove to be better than that, maybe they won't. But the latter is no guarantee. With what, they shatter that and should be one of the top teams in college ball.
Right now, Athlons didn't have us in the top 25.

Nonsense. This board gets so hung up on NBA draft status, some fail to recognize that players can be outstanding college basketball players and be just as impactful / valuable AT THIS LEVEL without being lottery picks. White averaged ~17 ppg in the big 10--him being rated as a second round pick doesn't change the fact that he'll step right in and provide stability, shooting, and veteran scoring / leadership on a team that on paper lacks it. His scoring / shooting efficiency has already been documented, and the advanced stats speak for themselves. To say nothing of how his superlative three point shooting would help space the floor and create space for guys inside and Battle / Gillon / Howard to drive.

And I'm not going to split hairs with you over one word. Christ. I am 100% certain that if we don't land White, that we won't start out the season in the top 25, having lost our top three scorers, and two senior guards. Those are the parameters that we are squarely within.

Maybe the team would prove to be better than that, maybe they won't. But the latter is no guarantee. With White, they shatter that and should be one of the top teams in college ball--regardless of how the NBA views him.

No kidding we won't start in the Top 25 - hell, we may not start in the Top 25 with him, honestly. But to me, that's not what "borderline Top 25" means. What that means to me is we're a 6-8 seed in the tournament.

The talent on this team without White is better than that. As I have said a billion times, I hope we get him and we can have the "who's starting where" argument again. But if we don't, it's a Top 20 team.

Right now, Athlons didn't have us in the top 25.

Preseason, yes. Not Top 25. Agreed. That's not what "borderline Top 25 team" means... at least that's not how I took it.

No kidding we won't start in the Top 25 - hell, we may not start in the Top 25 with him, honestly. But to me, that's not what "borderline Top 25" means. What that means to me is we're a 6-8 seed in the tournament.

The talent on this team without White is better than that. As I have said a billion times, I hope we get him and we can have the "who's starting where" argument again. But if we don't, it's a Top 20 team.

Now they're top 20?

Sans White, we would be a team that projects in the bottom of the top half of the ACC. We'd probably be looking at a 20-ish win / mid tier seed type of regular season. That isn't necessarily a top 25 team. That is a borderline top 25 team--which means that they could climb into the rankings. Hence, "borderline." Applying personal definitions is splitting hairs.

There is definitely talent on this team, but we would be imbalanced, frontcourt heavy, and lack a true 3. That doesn't necessarily sound like a recipe for top 20--which is why as Dasher points out above that we won't be perceived that way, certainly not at least initially.

Preseason, yes. Not Top 25. Agreed. That's not what "borderline Top 25 team" means... at least that's not how I took it.
You are inferring something that wasn't implied. Because what those words mean is a team that is on the cusp, and could be ranked or might not be ranked--the definition of the word "borderline."

Words mean things.

Oh good. So you have a place to stay when we play the Final Four here. My house is getting full quickly!!
If you ever are in town, we have great SU game watches here.
Man I gotta figure out a way to get to one of those...

Now they're top 20?

Sans White, we would be a team that projects in the bottom of the top half of the ACC. We'd probably be looking at a 20-ish win / mid tier seed type of season. That isn't a top 25 team. That is a borderline top 25 team--which means that they could climb into the rankings. Hence, "borderline." Applying personal definitions is splitting hairs.

There is definitely talent on this team, but we would be imbalanced, frontcourt heavy, and lack a true 3. That doesn't necessarily sound like a recipe for top 20--which is why as Dasher points out above that we won't be perceived that way, certainly not at least initially.

"Projects" means squat. I have a different opinion of what the team is, especially with Battle, who is vastly underrated like Malachi, and Chukwu, who will add a whole new dimension defensively. Call it splitting hairs or whatever you want to call it, I don't think the team is that flawed without White. Could they use him? Absolutely. I never said in any post that he wouldn't be a big addition. But there are pieces and there is enough shooting to get by with Gillon/Lydon and Battle/Howard improving. Will it be a strength? No, but they'll adjust and that's what Boeheim does best is adjust.

I think we're all hopeful that we are talking about something that doesn't even need to be discussed. But I don't care who perceives who what way. With the talent we have we should be a Top 20 team next year, and that is my opinion. You can disagree if you want, that's perfectly fine.

"Projects" means squat. I have a different opinion of what the team is, especially with Battle, who is vastly underrated like Malachi, and Chukwu, who will add a whole new dimension defensively. Call it splitting hairs or whatever you want to call it, I don't think the team is that flawed without White. Could they use him? Absolutely. I never said in any post that he wouldn't be a big addition. But there are pieces and there is enough shooting to get by with Gillon/Lydon and Battle/Howard improving. Will it be a strength? No, but they'll adjust and that's what Boeheim does best is adjust.

I think we're all hopeful that we are talking about something that doesn't even need to be discussed. But I don't care who perceives who what way. With the talent we have we should be a Top 20 team next year, and that is my opinion. You can disagree if you want, that's perfectly fine.

Right--different opinions. Would love for you to be right. Would love even more to land White, and then let things sort themselves out after having added him.

I'm just pointing out that opinion isn't fact. And it isn't off target to suggest that your opinion might not hold true, and that the team might be a mid-tier type of seed if the pieces [without White in the fold] don't mesh, or aren't as offensively complimentary as we hope.

Keep in mind that last year, Washington had a lottery pick [PF] and another guy [combo guard] who went in the first round, too, and made the NIT. I'm not suggesting that this is what is in store for our team with Lydon / Battle, but it happens.

Silence has to speak volumes here, no? If he was blown away by the U, he could've (would've?) committed by now. He hasn't - so he wasn't. At this point the longer the wait the better for us. Daddy has to step aside at some point like TT's mommy had to.

Silence has to speak volumes here, no? If he was blown away by the U, he could've (would've?) committed by now. He hasn't - so he wasn't. At this point the longer the wait the better for us. Daddy has to step aside at some point like TT's mommy had to.

Fingers crossed.

HOPEFULLY we'll hear something one way or another this week. We are literally running out of time before fall semester--can't drag out too much further.

Even if he was blown away by his visit I hope he would hold off a little out of respect for at least the work S.U has given towards him...

Even if he was blown away by his visit I hope he would hold off a little out of respect for at least the work S.U has given towards him...
Given the apparent "respect" he's shown Red I wouldn't use that argument. Nor did i ever buy the same reason (respect) for not eliminating MSU sooner. Please, he's an adult dealing with adults - not a wide eyed highschool kid. Don't believe he or dad are playing games either. Sounds like he wants to come here, but his father was insisting on dotting the i's and crossing the u's. Nothing wrong with that actually.

^^^ Houston going with old school reference...nice man...former military or history buff? Just curious...was stationed out at Hill once upon a time...and my apologies moderators did not mean to go off thread subject...just dropping a quick question in...thx

I'm just a buff. I've read enough on the subject to know pilots, at least in the 80s, hated the fighting falcon name and much preferred viper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom