angry and sad or sad and angry | Syracusefan.com

angry and sad or sad and angry

T

tipphill

today i have witnessed the loss of yet another rival wvu, to whatever conference. it doesn't matter which one. this speaks to the loss of the old mans game of traditional eastern football. i speak for myself, once we lost psu and now wvu, the old rivalries are gone you're right if you say i am melonchany (sp), but this is the time as i said in another thread,that football and the old traditions have passed me by, and it is now a youngers persons game, rightfully so. after many years of waiting to be able to afford the season tickets, rather that going to game day tickets -- i may have to give them up--because it is not fun anymore. i guess i am with jimmy b on this one.someone will no doubt buy my seats, i'm not concerned ---but i hope they have the same bleed orange mentality---times change.--some times old timers do not---but in my own way--maybe i graduated--to saturday afternoon golf?

How are you with jimmy b on this one? He's not afraid of change and he is happy about moving to the ACC.

i don't think so,as i remember and correct me please, if i am wrong, he said it has not been same for many years when we were a 8 team b'ball conference ---he 's not happy about all of this, but will adjust because he has to, and will be successful---- i on the other hand have a choice---again, only my personal sentiments---no big loss to anyone
---

today i have witnessed the loss of yet another rival wvu, to whatever conference. it doesn't matter which one. this speaks to the loss of the old mans game of traditional eastern football. i speak for myself, once we lost psu and now wvu, the old rivalries are gone you're right if you say i am melonchany (sp), but this is the time as i said in another thread,that football and the old traditions have passed me by, and it is now a youngers persons game, rightfully so. after many years of waiting to be able to afford the season tickets, rather that going to game day tickets -- i may have to give them up--because it is not fun anymore. i guess i am with jimmy b on this one.someone will no doubt buy my seats, i'm not concerned ---but i hope they have the same bleed orange mentality---times change.--some times old timers do not---but in our own way--maybe we graduate --to saturday afternoon golf?

I see joining the ACC as continuing two football rivalries (BC and Pitt), reigniting former rivalries (Maryland, Miami, and VT) and adding exciting new ones (FSU, Clemson, and GT). The only thing that would have made it perfect is for PSU and WVU to be in the ACC with us. But one can't have everything.

Cheers,
Neil

today i have witnessed the loss of yet another rival wvu, to whatever conference. it doesn't matter which one. this speaks to the loss of the old mans game of traditional eastern football. i speak for myself, once we lost psu and now wvu, the old rivalries are gone you're right if you say i am melonchany (sp), but this is the time as i said in another thread,that football and the old traditions have passed me by, and it is now a youngers persons game, rightfully so. after many years of waiting to be able to afford the season tickets, rather that going to game day tickets -- i may have to give them up--because it is not fun anymore. i guess i am with jimmy b on this one.someone will no doubt buy my seats, i'm not concerned ---but i hope they have the same bleed orange mentality---times change.--some times old timers do not---but in my own way--maybe i graduated--to saturday afternoon golf?

Here's the cure for what ails you.

Be at the Dome for the first SU v. Duke basketball game and take in the whole scene.

Colgate used to be our biggest rival. Times change.

today i have witnessed the loss of yet another rival wvu, to whatever conference. it doesn't matter which one. this speaks to the loss of the old mans game of traditional eastern football. i speak for myself, once we lost psu and now wvu, the old rivalries are gone you're right if you say i am melonchany (sp), but this is the time as i said in another thread,that football and the old traditions have passed me by, and it is now a youngers persons game, rightfully so. after many years of waiting to be able to afford the season tickets, rather that going to game day tickets -- i may have to give them up--because it is not fun anymore. i guess i am with jimmy b on this one.someone will no doubt buy my seats, i'm not concerned ---but i hope they have the same bleed orange mentality---times change.--some times old timers do not---but in our own way--maybe we graduate --to saturday afternoon golf?

There's a video on youtube of just a photo montage that someone put together of some great Big East moments. I watched it last night and realized that we're giving up so much so I understand the sadness that you feel. But, I have to question how orange could your blood be if you're willing to give up your season tickets because instead of Louisville, USF, Cincy and UConn we're going to be playing Maryland, Virginia, FSU and Clemson along with our old friends Miami, BC, Pitt and Va Tech.

Depending how old you are, there were times when BU was a major rival. Colgate was a mortal enemy. We were only in the Big East for 30 years in 111 years of basketball. 20 years out of 120 years of football. The Big East was good to us and we were good to the Big East. Unfortunately the Big East was doomed to fail, and now, we get to move on to something bigger and better.

We'll forget all about the Big East that first time we upset Clemson in Death Valley in front of 80,000 screaming fans.

-------------------

As Coach B said, the current Big East is not the Big East he once knew.

The current Big East teams include UL, Cinn, USF, RU, UConn for the time being.

Possible new members include Houston, SMU, Boise, UCF and perhaps Temple and ECU as backups, if Navy and Air Force don't join.

The ACC is now a true north-south coastal conference with great schools, including 5 private schools, and great mid size Universities like UNC, UVA and football games against VT, Miami, Clemson, FSU among other teams.

The ACC secures SU's athletic future and most importantly hugely improves SU's brand as a university.

The only choice was whether SU wanted to remain in the current Big East, where either UConn or RU was offered instead.

send a thanks for nothing card to georgetown, seton hall and st johns.

they put this day in motion back in 1982.

those schools flucked it all up.

screw em. go join the a10.

MY bigeast was wounded in 91 when miami joined, the kill shot came in 95 when the 1st wave of riff-raff got in.

now its unrecognizable and its time TO GO.

Oh Lord

There's a video on youtube of just a photo montage that someone put together of some great Big East moments. I watched it last night and realized that we're giving up so much so I understand the sadness that you feel. But, I have to question how orange could your blood be if you're willing to give up your season tickets because instead of Louisville, USF, Cincy and UConn we're going to be playing Maryland, Virginia, FSU and Clemson along with our old friends Miami, BC, Pitt and Va Tech.

Depending how old you are, there were times when BU was a major rival. Colgate was a mortal enemy. We were only in the Big East for 30 years in 111 years of basketball. 20 years out of 120 years of football. The Big East was good to us and we were good to the Big East. Unfortunately the Big East was doomed to fail, and now, we get to move on to something bigger and better.

We'll forget all about the Big East that first time we upset Clemson in Death Valley in front of 80,000 screaming fans.
old enough to have sat in archbold stadium since 1960. do not need a history lesson,---but you are right due to the leadership --the big east was doomed to fail--- it goes back to the psu days had they come the landscape would be diffrent.talk to me about orange blood after a "few years"--"quite a few years"!!!! you talk about the "big east" i speak of eastern football. not saying i'm right, just saying how i see it--again strictly personal view.

As in other threads, I'm sympathetic, but I'll just say this: I root for Syracuse. Who we play is secondary. I bleed Orange because of Syracuse, not because of our opponents.
Well put!

As in other threads, I'm sympathetic, but I'll just say this: I root for Syracuse. Who we play is secondary. I bleed Orange because of Syracuse, not because of our opponents.
excellent post!!!

here a thought that somes up how i feel...Im just glad im not Rutgers!

New day, new rivals. Some day soon, some kid will hate Duke and North Carolina as much as I hate Georgetown.

this speaks to the loss of the old mans game of traditional eastern football.
What does this have to do with being an old man?
I'm hugely disappointed because my dream has always been a true northeastern football conference. That would be my dream if I were 12 years old or 82 years old.
We're going to be a square peg in a round hole conference. We were a founding member of the Big East and now we're going to be northern johnnie come latelys in somebody else's world.
But we just need to arrive with impact in this new world and have some fun.

3 constants in life my friend. Death and taxes are the two everybody knows. "Change" is the third and I tell all the young ones around me over the years (students, family, etc.) to remember that and get used to it and go by the credo. "Adapt or die". And try to be ahead of the curve with respect to that and be a Swofford and not a Marinatto.

Theres a book with respect to this you might like called "who moved my cheese" Might help.

Reactions: 007
New day, new rivals. Some day soon, some kid will hate Duke and North Carolina as much as I hate Georgetown.

This will be my kids... I grew up hating Gtown and all they stood for... you hit the nail on the head with this post! I will miss the Big East but I am I look forward to the future.

Oh the drama.....

I see joining the ACC as continuing two football rivalries (BC and Pitt), reigniting former rivalries (Maryland, Miami, and VT) and adding exciting new ones (FSU, Clemson, and GT). The only thing that would have made it perfect is for PSU and WVU to be in the ACC with us. But one can't have everything.

Cheers,
Neil
I see it the same way Neil. Except for Pitt and WV there were no BE games that I looked forward to seeing. Can't wait to get to the ACC.

3 constants in life my friend. Death and taxes are the two everybody knows. "Change" is the third and I tell all the young ones around me over the years (students, family, etc.) to remember that and get used to it and go by the credo. "Adapt or die". And try to be ahead of the curve with respect to that and be a Swofford and not a Marinatto.

Theres a book with respect to this you might like called "who moved my cheese" Might help.
Mike, you need to stick by this when we're told we need to leave the Fine Lot. Change happens.

I don't get it. What long history do we have playing Louisville, USF, Uconn, and Cincinnati in football? And if you're truly an old man I keep reading about all of these assorted teams that were SU rivals long before the Big East came around. Were you as melancholy when those relationships ended? Change just like s@#t happens. You make the best of it.

Bingo. Good post.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil is spot on and I have posted the same thing previously. We are going to have more traditional football rivals where we are going than where we currently are. If you look at our schedule from the late 60's, there will be more of those teams on it where we are going than where we currently are.

Traditional Eastern football went the way of the dinosaur when Colagte, Cornell, and Holy Cross dropped off the slate eons ago. PSU was really the only other one left and that ship sailed when they joined the B10.

Other than that, Louisville, Cincy, and USF aren't traditional rivals. BC is, and we're getting them back. Miami is and we're getting them back. Maryland actually is and we're getting them back. VT was a rival for a long time in the "old Big East" and we're getting them back. And of course, Pitt is going with us.

WVU and Rutgers are the only longterm rivals not in the package (UConn is not a longterm rival). Who knows...as much as I don't like the idea, Rutgers could even end up in the ACC.

So when you get right down to it, we're actually moving to a more traditional list of eastern foes than what we have had in recent years. It's more Back to the Future than first meets the eye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom