Anomaly? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Anomaly?

It’s quite simple looking back was that they messed up the game planning on this one and dug themselves too deep to reverse course. Pitt practiced and prepared aggressively to undercut our short to medium passing routes. Up until this point we had success playing that way. Our coaching staff didn’t anticipate this and that was the issue in that we continued to gamble starting out the game that way. In hindsight, they probably wished to have switched things up and anticipate that the same game plan would bite us at some point and went run heavy in the first quarter before bringing out the passing attack once we settled into the game more.
It may have been BS, but Brown said that Pitt didn't surprise us. Rather than we just didn't play well.

He spoke some platitudes about letting people down and all that, but he definitely did not admit that Pitt out X's and O'd us.

Agree. Far from the only issue last night, but they aren't good. This is finally the last year I'm going to believe the board when people say the OL will be improved. We suck at evaluating OL (not directed at you specifically)
Welcome to the disbelief club! I founded it in 2002 when some folks suggested that team would be *better* than the 2001 team!

There's a special wing for the "this is the deepest QB room we've had in years!" group.

You can also visit the "I feel great about our WR corps!" room down the hall to the left.

:)

Because the OL ain't good.

Hasn't really been all year.

Wohlabaugh hasn't been a factor. Reed is hobbled.

We brought in a lot of transfers from name schools. Now we see why they weren't playing in the first place.

Buying QB's and WR's is easy. We need the beef too.

Tale as old as time...

I know all coaches say it, but why do coaches say I need to coach better next week.

Look coach, you have a game next week. Start coaching as hard as you can now. When a coach says that, it's like they are acknowledging they left some coaching in the tank. I'd rather the coach say, we did all we could, we prepared the team, it just didn't work out. They were better than us tonight.
It's coach speak. Don't read too much into it. He knows where the team is lacking in talent, where guys didn't do their job the way they were coached, and where he was out coached. He's the kind of coach that takes the blame in public and probably holds guys accountable behind closed doors.

Anomaly?
Yes in the sense that:
-McCord is better than that and tipped passes don't always go for pick sixes. Our defense was playing well and if we just tackle the interceptors we'd have been in the game.
-Our best receivers don't usually drop td passes and get/play hurt. You knew Trebor was hurt when he could not get in at the goalline. He is a guy who almost always gets the extra yards.

No in the sense that:
Our ol simply got manhandled and if Kyle doesn't play crazy great and cover up their weaknesses we are in huge trouble.
The defense was not the problem obviously but our tackling continues to be a disaster.

Anomaly?
Yes in the sense that:
-McCord is better than that and tipped passes don't always go for pick sixes. Our defense was playing well and if we just tackle the interceptors we'd have been in the game.
-Our best receivers don't usually drop td passes and get/play hurt. You knew Trebor was hurt when he could not get in at the goalline. He is a guy who almost always gets the extra yards.

No in the sense that:
Our ol simply got manhandled and if Kyle doesn't play crazy great and cover up their weaknesses we are in huge trouble.
The defense was not the problem obviously but our tackling continues to be a disaster.
Kyle has to learn that sometimes sacks are OK. Protecting the ball in games matters. I appreciate he wants to get rid of it but he just can’t turn the ball over so carelessly.

It may have been BS, but Brown said that Pitt didn't surprise us. Rather than we just didn't play well.

He spoke some platitudes about letting people down and all that, but he definitely did not admit that Pitt out X's and O'd us.
I don't know that they did, at least not entirely. At some point players have to win individual battles.

Kyle has to learn that sometimes sacks are OK. Protecting the ball in games matters. I appreciate he wants to get rid of it but he just can’t turn the ball over so carelessly.
I think he sometimes takes too many chances, but he also fits balls into tiny windows. It's a fine line and every window was tiny last night. Without a deep threat and running game to keep defenses honest, it'll be tough the rest of the way.

Anomaly? I don’t know.
I think it was Pitt's night, plain and simple.
The roughing the (Pitt) passer call, those tips for TD's, player lying on his belly catch says it all, preordained.
SU will rebound you watch and see.

I think he sometimes takes too many chances, but he also fits balls into tiny windows. It's a fine line and every window was tiny last night. Without a deep threat and running game to keep defenses honest, it'll be tough the rest of the way.
He tries to force everything through tight windows and does not have a strong arm.

Fine against HC.

Not a good combination against Pitt.

He tries to force everything through tight windows and does not have a strong arm.

Fine against HC.

Not a good combination against Pitt.
The problem was that last night aside from a play here or there, tight windows were all we had. Nobody was getting separation and there was no time for anything more complex to develop. What does he do with that? There were a few bonehead throws, but he also completed a bunch where guys were blanketed.

The problem was that last night aside from a play here or there, tight windows were all we had. Nobody was getting separation and there was no time for anything more complex to develop. What does he do with that? There were a few bonehead throws, but he also completed a bunch where guys were blanketed.
Throw some into the ground and tell coaches this isn't working, we need to do something different.

Easy to say after the fact, of course.

The play calling wasn't creative, strategic enough. As others said, our coaches didn't try anything new.

Throw some into the ground and tell coaches this isn't working, we need to do something different.

Easy to say after the fact, of course.

The play calling wasn't creative, strategic enough. As others said, our coaches didn't try anything new.
We just see it differently. I don't think it was as much of a strategy issue as it was a talent and execution issue.

If we played Pitt 10 times I think that's the worst permutation that could possibly happen. I think we probably win like 3 of them.

And the inverse is true in games where we blow other good teams out, like that Thursday night in 2011 vs WVU.

If we played Pitt 10 times I think that's the worst permutation that could possibly happen. I think we probably win like 3 of them.

And the inverse is true in games where we blow other good teams out, like that Thursday night in 2011 vs WVU.
And that would be on the road. I think on a neutral field it’s more 5 out of 10. At home 7 out of 10.

Pressure the QB with bump and grab corners. It’s what Pitt does. The real mess tonight was pretty much just McCord. I’m disappointed that Nixon and the O staff weren’t more ready for it and I don’t think Nixon called a particularly good game to help. But then again, we saw guys open, particularly RBs and check downs but McCord was intent on his primary guy and jamming into him no matter what. McCords performance was pretty wild. All of the picks were terrible decisions on the throw and he didn’t seem to care they were covered. Even his misses were brutal.

Pitt’s a good team to run mis direction, jet sweeps, boots, out and up double moves etc but we saw none of that..
Nixon was schooled by Nard last night

You know why Meeks didn’t play at Georgia? Last night was why. He’s just one example. We don’t have the proper mix or enough talent across the board, in almost every unit to really be competitive against the better teams. McCord has been great, but his flaws are obvious too. Football really is the ultimate team game. When there are weak links across every team unit, it’s bound to break down. We got smacked by better players last night. That’s what happened.

Completely agree with that. If we are every ball that could have been in a tight window then the scoreboard would have been just as lopsided

Honestly think it’s a simple as they knew if they played press coverage and overplayed the short routes that that would take away our offense. That’s all we’ve got, no ability to take deep shots and certainly no run game.
And until we get back to having a running back who can occasionally break a long run, teams will continue to play a lot of players in the box.
Last year Shrader was that guy who could break a play.

I really dont think they did. Any guy or gal knewit was all pressure run or pass. Come on they had to know.

Not bad breaks. Kyle was forcing bad throws into coverage that Pitt was sitting on. He needs to learn when to throw it away!
I would like to know how many practices Pitt had while we were doing community service. Fran said something in the presser like they had two practices to prepare. That seems crazy. I’m all for these guys giving back but do it in the off season

You know why Meeks didn’t play at Georgia? Last night was why. He’s just one example. We don’t have the proper mix or enough talent across the board, in almost every unit to really be competitive against the better teams. McCord has been great, but his flaws are obvious too. Football really is the ultimate team game. When there are weak links across every team unit, it’s bound to break down. We got smacked by better players last night. That’s what happened.
I won't give Meeks a hard time. He's made plays for us. He just isn't a true #1 guy. He doesn't have the speed for that and he isn't a real big guy. That's not to say he isn't good. He is. He and Pena are probably better than any of the WRs we've had out there since Trishton Jackson. Unfortunately, we're lacking that deep threat that would let him play to his strengths. Hopefully, Fran is recruiting that (those) guy(s) right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom