Another big opportunity Saturday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Another big opportunity Saturday

Why? If they can get home with three or four that’s always better than blitzing
This rings true. I think that anticipation is the key. If an offense knows what's coming, they can beat it. Same for a defense prepping for a play. Thinking that all we need do is blitz 75% of the time or more to be effective is too simplistic an approach.

Can you say “Diggs”
booker t wwe GIF

There loss to Wake Forest looks pretty identical to ours vs Stanford so I'm not so sure they suck and this is an automatic win like people seem to expect anytime we don't play someone undefeated.

OK but I wouldn't put a wounded NCSU in the same bucket as Clemson or even UNC with Drake Maye. JMO.
I see what you’re saying and I dont want to list every meaningful road game we lost under Dino. I just think this is an important one to handle business with and improve national perception.

I see what you’re saying and I dont want to list every meaningful road game we lost under Dino. I just think this is an important one to handle business with and improve national perception.

Agreed and didn't intend to be last-wordish!

There loss to Wake Forest looks pretty identical to ours vs Stanford so I'm not so sure they suck and this is an automatic win like people seem to expect anytime we don't play someone undefeated.
They 78th in total offense, 72nd total defense nationally, 15th and 13th in the ACC. SU is 14th/61st; 3rd/8th.

They’ve had two games of less than 200 yds Total offense. They almost lost to LaTech and N Ill at home.

They aren’t good. There are reasons to be confident

NCS on the road is going to be very tough
They have lots of talent. More on paper than Cuse.
Yes and in fact probably the 2nd most talented team on paper on the schedule behind Miami. NC State is due to play up to their potential and if they do, we will probably need the best game of the year so far to win.

They 78th in total offense, 72nd total defense nationally, 15th and 13th in the ACC. SU is 14th/61st; 3rd/8th.

They’ve had two games of less than 200 yds Total offense. They almost lost to LaTech and N Ill at home.

And yet not good teams beat good ones every weekend.

Their FR QB has been better than McCall and they were ranked preseason. I think this is going to be a tougher game than Pitt who has just been lucky every week.

and yet they should probably be 1-5. or 2-4.

They can wake up next week when they head to Cal.

We better tackle better, they have athletes and the FR QB can throw pretty well.

Teams have thrown on them so lets continue that trend and give Kyle his shots

I didn’t read any post saying this is an automatic win. We’ve been better than them , we should win…… doesn’t always work out the way it supposed to.

And yet not good teams beat good ones every weekend.

Their FR QB has been better than McCall and they were ranked preseason. I think this is going to be a tougher game than Pitt who has just been lucky every week.
Are you saying upsets happen?

Wow, who knew?

Some context on the run game so far. SU has played the 22nd, 11th, 12th, and 18th run defenses. Didn’t include HC.

In three of four games SU exceeded average yds allowed and had the second highest total against. Only game under was Stanford, and that was 26 vs average of 88, not good.

Part of that is Ohio - 109, Stanford - 105, and UNLV- 120, give up a lot of passing yds, but that’s not the whole story.

It certainly fits taking what the defense gives you based on pass/run ratio.

NCSt is 78th in run defense, 72nd in Pass defense. If SU can boost the run game from the 130 range to 170 with 300 plus passing, game over.
Here are a few more stats. We are #2 in the nation in first downs not including penalties, (and just 1 first down from leading the nation).

And we are #2 in the nation in 3rd down conversions vs FBS Teams.

Our run games are very similar (15 fewer yds per game on 5 fewer runs)
But we are +150 over them in the air.

this should be the best quarterback advantage we have had.

All that sets up for a long day for the statistically worst defense we have played.

take the crowd out of it early and don’t commit any turnovers and it should be comfortable. Let the crowd get into it, and turn it over a few times,and we could have a problem..

Vs Pitt since 1984 20-19-1. 8-11 on the road.

SU has beaten Pitt twice in seasons where Pitt finished with 8 wins, ‘87 and ’04.

Right now they are on track to win at least 8.

Would be huge.
What’s the record since 2004?

No.
Yes. Make a true freshman make quick reads and get the ball out, force him into mistakes. Don’t sit back and give him time to go through his reads. We don’t get home with 3.

Why? If they can get home with three or four that’s always better than blitzing
We haven’t gotten home with 3 or 4 consistently all year. QBs have however consistently had multiple seconds to throw. Pass rush is an issue for this team. Bring pressure and force a true freshman into mistakes. We have 11 sacks on the year and 8 of those came against completely overmatched opponents in Ohio and Holy Cross. 1 sack total against P4 teams (1 against Stanford 0 against GT)

Their pass defense is very good. Our defense has to control the game. They’ve struggled to score.

We haven’t gotten home with 3 or 4 consistently all year. QBs have however consistently had multiple seconds to throw. Pass rush is an issue for this team. Bring pressure and force a true freshman into mistakes. We have 11 sacks on the year and 8 of those came against completely overmatched opponents in Ohio and Holy Cross. 1 sack total against P4 teams (1 against Stanford 0 against GT)
GT just gave up their first sack last week vs Duke.

This defense has given up only 7 passes of greater than 25 yds, it gets off the field on 3rd and long. They don’t need to bring pressures all the time.

Agreed. But there are at home at night and on paper have more higher rated players than we do by a long shot. I agree we have this game as long as we play it straight up Make the kid beat us with long drives as he wont.

Are you saying upsets happen?

Wow, who knew?
Not even sure it should be considered upset. Regression to the mean of course preseason ranked team at home gets on track. BC of course once again we get to play a better QB than the starter that was replaced.

Ever year NC State loses to someone like Marshall, struggles against an FCS, and drops one vs a bad ACC team. They also play the middle and top of the ACC well. I think we'll play well but its a coin flip type game to me vs running all over an inept team.

Pitt is the overrated trash squad I expect to smoke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom