Another NIL Meltdown | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Another NIL Meltdown

Players transferring? Players always transferred. Yes, they had to sit out a year. Now they don't.
So, one thing related to this that doesn't get talked about a lot... it wasn't that long ago that football transfers were an extremely rare thing. Teams and players kinda locked into each other for the duration of the player's career, and that was kinda that.

So what changed? Well, I think the NCAA rule change that players could play in up to 4 games and still take a redshirt looms large. Before, if guys weren't on the two deep, there just wasn't game film of them. Transferring was risky - what did your new coach have to evaluate to feel any confidence that you were worth a scholarship? High School tape? And hope that you still projected well after whatever time you already spent in a college program you couldn't get off the bench for?

I don't know if anyone has looked at a real correlation here, but I'm convinced that the 4 game redshirt was a sneaky big contributor to how common transfers now are in college football.

I’m convinced that the current state of college football is temporary and will be modified eventually. What we’re seeing isn’t the be all and end all of college football in our lifetime. Especially with so many people complaining.

Growing pains.

That's awesome.

Sucks to be an aTm booster.

They will not care. They will spend more on the next guy.

BTW, they were doing this before NIL.

Wash, rinse, repeat. It's not about losing out on a stud frosh, it's about making enough smart bets that it pays off in terms of overall success.

We may think we're laughing at them, but this is part of the process for them.

They know they have gajillions and a team like Syracuse, well, we don't. They may miss the party a year or two, but we were never invited.

Speaking of A&M, one of their stud freshmen that they bought is leaving. Someone commented to him on twitter that he took the money and is now going where he actually wanted to. The player gave it a thumbs up.

This is the best consequence of NIL.

A&M thinks they can buy their way to a championship. It's so strange that there are so many posts here about Dino not being able to coach. Can you imagine how good we would be with those resources, assuming the boosters didn't meddle as much as A&M's do.