Another NIL Meltdown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Another NIL Meltdown

This is just stupid crazy now…harbaugh saying they can probably do 26 million? Oy vey, we went from free college and a stipend to $30 million war chests in like 2 years…kind of funny though seeing the Ohio States of the world get nervous

Last edited:
This is just stupid crazy now…harbaugh saying they can probably do 26 million? Oy vey, we went from free college and a stipend to $30 million war chests in like 2 years…kind of funny though seeing the Ohio States of the world get nervous
I think Saban (not exactly an unbiased source) said that Jimbo Fisher‘s payroll at Texas A&M this year was $40MM.

If the players have NIL money for services that are not yet rendered (scheduled appearances, filmed items that haven't aired, etc.), I'd guess they have to return that if they're forced to leave the team. Which could put them in a pickle if they've already spent it.

I think that's the problem for the boosters. It would not look great to future recruits if boosters took a kid to court over NIL money.

First, as has been reported, most of these NIL huge deals are like NFL contracts, the full number will never be reached. This was reported back pre-season, just to be clear.

Second, there are a gajillion NIL deals, there will be cracks in something that is still relatively new and being done at a large scale that is growing insanely quickly.

If anyone is hoping for the system to break, good luck. I'd rather just get better at it.

You hate to see it.

Not surprising at all that this chit (NIL) is out of hand, as this was about as foreseeable and predictable as Punxsutawney Phil and the February 2nd shenanigans that take place annually.

The funniest thing I read in all of that was: "We are at a fork in the road and just saying, "well then they didn't deserve to go to Ohio State!" is the fastest way to end up the new Notre Dame." :)

I can;t wait until the first tax season after some of these NIL deals. It's gonna be a mess.

1) It will be fine.

2) You realize we are taking part in this, right? You realize we have two 4 star QBs in our QB room and just landed a bunch of high profile portal players coming in for next year? You realize we should want this to work and SU to be good at it and our players benefiting from it as seamlessly as possible?

Rooting for the red tape and bureaucracy of the US tax code and system over the benefit to college athletes is a new one, for sure.

1) It will be fine.

2) You realize we are taking part in this, right? You realize we have two 4 star QBs in our QB room and just landed a bunch of high profile portal players coming in for next year? You realize we should want this to work and SU to be good at it and our players benefiting from it as seamlessly as possible?

Rooting for the red tape and bureaucracy of the US tax code and system over the benefit to college athletes is a new one, for sure.
I'm not rooting for anything. all I said is I can't wait to see what happens when it comes time to pay and will people have planned appropriately just like you and I need to plan for tax bill

For me personally, it's ruined the sport regardless of who's doing it. But at this point whatever, cat is out of bag

What do you think is going to happen?
Depends if the NIL payment withhold taxes, if so then likely less of a mess. If the NIL payment does not withhold taxes, there might be a bunch of guys surprised to find out they owe a big nut with no money to pay it.

1) It will be fine.

Yeah weird flex to tell these kids "Hey you wanna make money off your blood sweat and tears?...get ready for Uncle Sam muhahaha!"

I also think this is why SU and other programs have set up NIL offices iirc... To help these students navigate the financial and accounting side. That's where I'd be selling my school to recruits.

This is stupid money.

I'm not rooting for anything. all I said is I can't wait to see what happens when it comes time to pay and will people have planned appropriately just like you and I need to plan for tax bill

For me personally, it's ruined the sport regardless of who's doing it. But at this point whatever, cat is out of bag

What's ruined about it? Honestly?

Players getting paid? They've been getting paid and having benefits forever, just against the rules that we all ignored. Just to be clear, that's inclusive of Syracuse.

Players transferring? Players always transferred. Yes, they had to sit out a year. Now they don't. I get why this might be frustrating, but it benefits us, as a mid tier P5 program, more than hurts so far. Again, we have two four star QBs in our QB room. Did you see who we just landed through the portal for next year?

if you feel that making kids stay for at least three years and sitting out a year if they want to transfer makes the sport awesome to watch, that's fine. I disagree. I'm going to root for our portal QB in this upcoming bowl game. I'm going to root for all our portal players next year without an issue.

Again, if you don't like it, that's your perogative. All good. Fair game. But I would ask that you give it a little runway and see how it benefits us as a program and just keep rooting for the name on the front of the jersey, because we're looking GOOD for next year.

Players getting paid? They've been getting paid and having benefits forever, just against the rules that we all ignored. Just to be clear, that's inclusive of Syracuse.

Players transferring? Players always transferred. Yes, they had to sit out a year. Now they don't. I get why this might be frustrating, but it benefits us, as a mid tier P5 program, more than hurts so far. Again, we have two four star QBs in our QB room. Did you see who we just landed through the portal for next year?

if you feel that making kids stay for at least three years and sitting out a year if they want to transfer makes the sport awesome to watch, that's fine. I disagree. I'm going to root for our portal QB in this upcoming bowl game. I'm going to root for all our portal players next year without an issue.

Again, if you don't like it, that's your perogative. All good. Fair game. But I would ask that you give it a little runway and see how it benefits us as a program and just keep rooting for the name on the front of the jersey, because we're looking GOOD for next year.

I think the reality is the kids that come here and explode may leave. But we should do well on the portal market in general. A lot of those kids already went somewhere for the money and weren't happy. Their next stop likely wont be for the money. Look at A&M. Think those kids have any loyalty to the highest bidder?

I genuinely love the added complications this system brought.

Edit: and to see some of these coaches who have moved from job to job chasing the buck; the administrators who made it so UCLA and USC are in the Big 10; and the media personalities who will parrot the views of their corporate masters for money complain about all of this is comical.

Last edited:
I think the reality is the kids that come here and explode may leave. But we should do well on the portal market in general. A lot of those kids already went somewhere for the money and weren't happy. Their next stop likely wont be for the money. Look at A&M. Think those kids have any loyalty to the highest bidder?

Syracuse can be a leader in this, btw. There will be agents that get really good at these deals.

Again, a lot of the "announced" huge NIL deals were for PR for the school and to pump up the player and those dollars were never going to be maxed.

This is a FACT.

I bet Cuse will be a leader for non-factory school recruits or post-factory school transfers to max money, publicity and getting them in the NFL.

Syracuse can be a leader in this, btw. There will be agents that get really good at these deals.

Again, a lot of the "announced" huge NIL deals were for PR for the school and to pump up the player and those dollars were never going to be maxed.

This is a FACT.

I bet Cuse will be a leader for non-factory school recruits or post-factory school transfers to max money, publicity and getting them in the NFL.

Exactly! We were never really in the hunt for 4 and 5 star guys, but now it's so much easier for us to get those guys who either sat the bench or were recruited over.

For me, college was the sport where a guy came in a developed into something after several years in a program making the program better. If we caught lighting in a bottle with a freshman, talk of going pro after 3 years was the big discussion.

Now folks will be coming and going. Totally agree there is a chance it could work out. But I’ve drifted from pro sports due to free agency and guys moving around. Again, that’s just the way my fandom has evolved. There was no such thing as free agency during my formative years.

I’d hate to drift from my last sports love, my alma mater. We’ll see how it works out

Edit: and to see some of these coaches who have moved from job to job chasing the buck; the administrators who made it so UCLA and USC are in the Big 10; and the media personalities who will parrot the views of their corporate masters for money complain about all of this is comical.

Speaking of A&M, one of their stud freshmen that they bought is leaving. Someone commented to him on twitter that he took the money and is now going where he actually wanted to. The player gave it a thumbs up.