Another point of view | Syracusefan.com

Another point of view

ESPN helped create the entire $ situation while hypocritically reporting, profiting and promoting from the scenario they generated. Now they are going to have their reporters "moralize" over it? They sure didn't think of conference unity and loyalty when they offered Texas their separate contract. As the wicked witch from the Wizard of OZ said "what a world".

Don't know what (if any) his Big East connection is, but this sure sounds whiney.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...sy-spell-end-big-east-know-college-basketball
I'm mad I am even responding to this. So I'll make it short:

1. Riddled with opinion
2. Lacking any facts at all
3. Lacking any context at all
4. Written by the network that created the situation

Seriously, that was an awful article. I wish the BE was awesome. NE Football is not that good. Football drives conference revenue. Conference revenue drives facilities for schools our size. Facilities upgrades bring in better recruits. Basketball rivalries are emotional and fun. I get it. But i"m not willing to risk the future of basketball to hold onto some rivalries that we can reproduce in other ways.

44cuse

I'm mad I am even responding to this. So I'll make it short:

1. Riddled with opinion
2. Lacking any facts at all
3. Lacking any context at all
4. Written by the network that created the situation

Seriously, that was an awful article. I wish the BE was awesome. NE Football is not that good. Football drives conference revenue. Conference revenue drives facilities for schools our size. Facilities upgrades bring in better recruits. Basketball rivalries are emotional and fun. I get it. But i"m not willing to risk the future of basketball to hold onto some rivalries that we can reproduce in other ways.

44cuse
It's espn, what do you expect? journalism?

At least ESPN lets reporters state their OPINIONS. I thought that was a fun article.

Hey Pete, that rebuttal needs to go where all can see. Not just this board.

At least ESPN lets reporters state their OPINIONS. I thought that was a fun article.
Did you mean "fun" or "funny"? If that is the quality of her "opinion", then I don;t need to read her anymore. If she had written a piece focused on the history of the Big East and why it is sad to have SU and Pitt feel as if they need to leave...then I am 100% with her.

But to lay it at our feet as if we are doing something wrong...that's bullcrap.

44cuse

Did you mean "fun" or "funny"? If that is the quality of her "opinion", then I don;t need to read her anymore. If she had written a piece focused on the history of the Big East and why it is sad to have SU and Pitt feel as if they need to leave...then I am 100% with her.

But to lay it at our feet as if we are doing something wrong...that's bullcrap.

44cuse
I'm glad you picked up on my choice of words :)

It is an alternative viewpoint. This is America after all. In her world, FDR would have had his way.

Hey Pete, that rebuttal needs to go where all can see. Not just this board.

Thanks. I was going to post it in the comments under her article, but I forgot my ESPN password. So I naturally came here to vent my frustration.

The real reason why college athletics is being destroyed ... someone found an obscure rule in the NCAA Handbook which allows 12 team football conferences to stage a revenue generating championship game ... and ESPN is providing the revenue.

Why did the SEC invite Arkansas and South Carolina ... to stage a championship game.

Why did the Big 8 and half the SWC agree to a merger ... to stage a championship game.

Why did the ACC raid the BE for 3 teams ... to stage a championship game.

Why did the Pac10 invite Utah and Colorado ...

Why did the BiG invite Nebraska ...

ESPN and CBS put the word out that they will pay big $$$ to 12 team conferences, they they are SHOCKED that smaller conferences are gobbled up as the "big boys" race to a dozen, and beyond.

It's like 10 cent beer night at a White Sox game. What did the networks think was going to happen to the landscape?

I'm glad you picked up on my choice of words :)

It is an alternative viewpoint. This is America after all. In her world, FDR would have had his way.
;)

44cuse

She's giving her opinion & reacting like a fan of college basketball- whats the big deal?

Not for nothing, but we don't need to be so thin-skinned about this situation. Those who understand the circumstances realize what drove our defection, & whats been driving the moves to come. Those who read headlines & have no clue, we shouldn't worry about.
I spent years calling BC "traitors" but in retrospect they were proactive & made the smart move, regardless of how its turned out. These same folks whining now wouldn't care less if we'd been left in the dust, no matter how unlikely that scenario. Just ask KU how they feel tonite being such a prominent program & facing the possibility of "no room at the inn".

Let em think what they want. :blah:

---------------------

Article should be retitled: "A truly sad weekend for a Big East columnist":

Wonder how she would have covered the story when TCU joined the Big East?

Or when UL, USF and Cinn joined the Big East?
Death to Conference USA... I'll miss Memphis and Calipari's recruiting violations. USF just shunned the gate keeper. Louisville don made sweet love to its cuz one to many times and went and joined the Big East. Erosion in the Rust Belt leads to Cinci's crumbling values and doing "lines" with the Big East.

Picture of Marinatto:
ncf_a_marinatto_bl_300.jpg

Looks alot like the fat guy from Albert and Costello (I don't remember which one was which):
3697-118.gif

I can almost see him performing his very own "Who's on First" routine...

Pitt's on First...

Who?

Pitt

Who's on Second?

Syracuse

Who?

Who's on First?

Pitt

Pitt who?

...Where's Providence??!!??!!

I agree with her. It is a sad day for college basketball.

I agree with her too but it wasn't just Pitt and SU, it was all the schools that were looking to leave instead of fight - they created their own instability.

Love orangextremes statement of the facts. I understand if she like many is upset at the almost certain death of our former conference, I too feel that this is a sad time and will miss the BE. However to start pointing fingers, and getting personal about it as a journalist writing an article is unacceptable, and unnecessary. What did she want us to do? Stand and hold the "banner of the big east" against all odds as everyone else makes deals to leave? Sorry, been there done that. For once our university got out in front of the situation on their own. If anything this whole thing is a huge indictment of the BE's commish and his people. Never out front, never with a plan, not seeking any solutions that make sense. Yeah you can add teams from here to timbuktu, but if your league does not retain value enough to keep your bowl berth, your the MAC or possibly less. The whole mess of college athletics has been about escalating greed for the last 20 years at least. I will miss the BE. If we could have ever got it right (got Penn St., and kept the other defections from happening, even recently if we could have had some sort of BE/ACC merging) we wouldn't be where we are now. But this move is sad but necessary. Dana, get over it.

The article was compelling, in an opposing view sort of way, until I read:

"In defense of her university's move, Syracuse chancellor Nancy Cantor explained that leaving the Big East was in the university's best interest "as conference realignment gives some instability to the landscape." What she -- and everyone else who has taken their bag of toys and run -- failed to acknowledge is that by leaving, Syracuse and Pittsburgh are the ones creating the instability."

To opine that there's was no instability in conference alignment prior to last Friday is ridiculous. Nebraska left for the Big10; Texas A&M is leaving the Big12; the Pac10 is set to receive several others beside Colorado and Utah. The "next move" was in gestation, waiting for delivery.

Frankly, I'm proud that SU delivered the goods, and grabbed for its self-interest.

They were all looking to leave. Lucky for SU, they were most proactive. And they offered more than most of the other options. That's why they were the first to go.

I hate this, i really do. But the real fault can be found in the Big East office. The only reason schools have been ready to leave, is because the heads of the BE were not proactive enough to provide the schools with the security they needed. If that had been done, SU would still be in the BE.