another recruit likes the ACC move | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

another recruit likes the ACC move

Good points... I just think we are continuing to see another unfair "grass is always greener" outlook around here. I don't think it is a coincidence that so many of GRob's big recruits didn't pan out. I think people naively act like it was a fluke that those personalities didn't result in impact players, and ridiculously use it as ammo against Marrone's recruiting ability. The second thing that bugs me is that people just talk about offense. Defense was the main concern when Marrone got here, and in just a couple years he got us a boatload of athletes for that side of the ball. We have just recently began focusing on adding playmakers to the O, and we still have a lot of veterans as it is. Just asking for people to be realistic.

I think you fail to realize the country club atmosphere that Grob promoted that led to a lack of discipline both on and off the field. Personalities? Maybe but Grob didn't help by letting them continue to be spoiled brats. As for your grass is greener comment, yes it is greener, it has to be if you want to compete for ACC championships because the prize recruits of the directional schools are not gonna get us there. I'm not looking for rolling pastures of green meadows, but we need more than crab grass and dandelions as well.

I think you fail to realize the country club atmosphere that Grob promoted that led to a lack of discipline both on and off the field. Personalities? Maybe but Grob didn't help by letting them continue to be spoiled brats. As for your grass is greener comment, yes it is greener, it has to be if you want to compete for ACC championships because the prize recruits of the directional schools are not gonna get us there. I'm not looking for rolling pastures of green meadows, but we need more than crab grass and dandelions as well.

I hear ya, but the excuses don't change the fact that those highly rated recruits usually ended up failing for some reason. Whatever he was doing to attract those slick recruits, wasn't really working, cause it does no good if they can't get on the field and perform. I'm not sure why you think this is crab grass, going down the roster, a lot of young talent... unfortunately, also a lot of bad luck.

I wonder what DM would have done with those guys though...but like you said, it could very easily have been his laid back, think i can, attitude that attracted the over bloated recruits too. Just wish we were getting more guys like Washington and Brantley, where it seems like the class is filling more with guys Glanton.

I wonder what DM would have done with those guys though...but like you said, it could very easily have been his laid back, think i can, attitude that attracted the over bloated recruits too. Just wish we were getting more guys like Washington and Brantley, where it seems like the class is filling more with guys Glanton.
But see, you aren't basing that on anything either. We are still in it with a lot of guys that are higher ranked. Glanton is not one of our top targets at this point. Relax, you'll be much happier come signing day.

Other offers for this kid: Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, FIU, Ball St.....seriously!

Other offers for this kid: Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, FIU, Ball St.....seriously!

Oh so you wouldn't want a kid like Page who is one of the top wideouts in the NCAA this season who plays at (gasp) a MAC school? And didn't FIU beat LVille ... something we haven't done in a couple of years? Look at some of the talent those schools still can grab ... Leftwich, Pennington, Moss oh and that QB for the Steelers isn't bad either. They might not get the quantity that other schools get but just because a kid is offered by these programs early and over looked by others doesn't mean he isn't worthy of an offer.

We have a few freshmen on our roster with less than stellar offer sheets who will end up being very very good players for us: Crume, Lynch and even Dyshawn Davis come to mind. And two of the three (Lynch and Crume) ended up having their doors knocked on by a lot of big name programs much later in the process after already committing to SU. Lynch verbaled in August before going out and winning the Georgia 5A defensive player of the year ... so can we please stop analyzing every offer list that flies across the screen?

Go back and look at some of the recruits we have had that have quite a lofty rating coming out of high school with nice offer sheets that just fall flat or never even make it here ... ala Baskin, Peterman or Pierce. Give me a kid with a high ceiling that wants to be here and will set foot on campus. The fact that we have significant playing time being doled out to Freshmen and Sophs tells me that our recruiting is on an uptick and will start paying dividends over the next few seasons. How many starters do we stand to lose to graduation? Not many ... we are young and those that we will lose will be replaced more effectively than in previous seasons. I contend that we will be very very tough to beat next season and much better than this season just because of the experience our underclassmen are getting. We are for all intents and purposes still a very young team.

Our recruiting is abysmal at this point, is anyone actually excited over a kid with these type of offers? I mean seriously, let's cut to the chase here, do people actually believe that Marrone is actually that much better at evaluating talent than other coaches. Enough is enough, people are kidding themselves here. If you recruit like a mid major you will play like one... Odds are

We need to get you some Paxil buddy. That Rutgers loss is really hurting you inside.

su
Oh so you wouldn't want a kid like Page who is one of the top wideouts in the NCAA this season who plays at (gasp) a MAC school? And didn't FIU beat LVille ... something we haven't done in a couple of years? Look at some of the talent those schools still can grab ... Leftwich, Pennington, Moss oh and that QB for the Steelers isn't bad either. They might not get the quantity that other schools get but just because a kid is offered by these programs early and over looked by others doesn't mean he isn't worthy of an offer.

We have a few freshmen on our roster with less than stellar offer sheets who will end up being very very good players for us: Crume, Lynch and even Dyshawn Davis come to mind. And two of the three (Lynch and Crume) ended up having their doors knocked on by a lot of big name programs much later in the process after already committing to SU. Lynch verbaled in August before going out and winning the Georgia 5A defensive player of the year ... so can we please stop analyzing every offer list that flies across the screen?

Go back and look at some of the recruits we have had that have quite a lofty rating coming out of high school with nice offer sheets that just fall flat or never even make it here ... ala Baskin, Peterman or Pierce. Give me a kid with a high ceiling that wants to be here and will set foot on campus. The fact that we have significant playing time being doled out to Freshmen and Sophs tells me that our recruiting is on an uptick and will start paying dividends over the next few seasons. How many starters do we stand to lose to graduation? Not many ... we are young and those that we will lose will be replaced more effectively than in previous seasons. I contend that we will be very very tough to beat next season and much better than this season just because of the experience our underclassmen are getting. We are for all intents and purposes still a very young team.

Sure, I would want all those kids and Syracuse will always have their share of unheralded kids that we take, however, I wouldn't want a roster full of MAC kids because that is what you have is a MAC level team. Good teams can play like and beat URI and Tulane by 35. I want kids that can play the rest is BS. You need depth and Syracuse needs to recruit better if they want to be a legit program. The fact that we are hoping that we can white knuckle 2-3 more wins in this pathetic conference should be proof enough. For the record, I think I have realistic expectations with recruiting but when I see almost every kid that we offer with no BCS type offers that is not good, IMO. Kids with other BCS offers this year seem to be the exception, not the rule. Like I said, if people want to bury their head in the sand and state as each one of these kids is someone that Marrone found first and that is the reason they have no other BCS offers then so be it. The fact is one can make an argument that recruiting has actually not improved one bit since Marrone showed up, maybe has tailed off a bit. maybe...

su

Sure, I would want all those kids and Syracuse will always have their share of unheralded kids that we take, however, I wouldn't want a roster full of MAC kids because that is what you have is a MAC level team. Good teams can play like and beat URI and Tulane by 35. I want kids that can play the rest is BS. You need depth and Syracuse needs to recruit better if they want to be a legit program. The fact that we are hoping that we can white knuckle 2-3 more wins in this pathetic conference should be proof enough. For the record, I think I have realistic expectations with recruiting but when I see almost every kid that we offer with no BCS type offers that is not good, IMO. Kids with other BCS offers this year seem to be the exception, not the rule. Like I said, if people want to bury their head in the sand and state as each one of these kids is someone that Marrone found first and that is the reason they have no other BCS offers then so be it. The fact is one can make an argument that recruiting has actually not improved one bit since Marrone showed up, maybe has tailed off a bit. maybe...

For the record our recruiting class won't be a bunch of MAC kids ... as stated above we have kids with better than MAC level offer sheets ... and a few others like Whitehurst starting now to get the attention of BCS level programs. I think it is way too early to evaluate the value of this recruit or some of the others we had ... hence my point about Crume and Lynch ... some kids just aren't noticed until they blow up their senior seasons ... and the fact that we have so many sophs and frosh on the field tell me we are recruiting better than what is in house and classes like this will continue to build our depth ... Usually a mid level BCS program is riding seniors and juniors and some sophs ... not relying so heavily on freshmen that alone should tell you we are on a recruiting up tick ...

Our recruiting is abysmal at this point, is anyone actually excited over a kid with these type of offers? I mean seriously, let's cut to the chase here, do people actually believe that Marrone is actually that much better at evaluating talent than other coaches. Enough is enough, people are kidding themselves here. If you recruit like a mid major you will play like one... Odds are

WHAT IS NOT ABYSMAL?...ABYSMAL THIS!.....ABYSMAL THAT?

This was already posted and discussed 3 times before you posted - so what was the point?

You also failed to mention how upset you are with the interest from Indiana, Iowa, and Iowa State.

Phillip Thomas: Central Michigan, Colorado St, FIU, WMU
Shamarko Thomas: L'Ville, UCONN, Akron, Kent St, Marshall
Chandler Jones: Buffalo
Marquis Spruill: Temple, James Madison
Keon Lyn (who I think is going to be the best corner out of SU in a decade): EMU, Marshall, Miami (OH), Northern Ill, Utah ST, USF

Notice one thing: They are all defensive players. Under Shafer's system, long athletes that can run are a must. Lynch is more exception than the rule. This is the mold TCU employed on their defensive side of the ball as well. Go back and look at TCU's classes in 20007, 2008 -- count how many BCS offers those kids have.

The issue IMO is on the other side of the ball -- where Marrone's offense needs explosive athletes in order to be effective. It relies on WR's that can stretch the field as well as players that can make a guy miss. We don't have that right now.