another recruit likes the ACC move | Syracusefan.com

another recruit likes the ACC move

That's what I thought but I didn't want to say too much since someone is bound to complain about his offers. At least he has offers, lol.

Our recruiting is abysmal at this point, is anyone actually excited over a kid with these type of offers? I mean seriously, let's cut to the chase here, do people actually believe that Marrone is actually that much better at evaluating talent than other coaches. Enough is enough, people are kidding themselves here. If you recruit like a mid major you will play like one... Odds are

Our recruiting is abysmal at this point, is anyone actually excited over a kid with these type of offers? I mean seriously, let's cut to the chase here, do people actually believe that Marrone is actually that much better at evaluating talent than other coaches. Enough is enough, people are kidding themselves here. If you recruit like a mid major you will play like one... Odds are

Do you overreact to everything, nevermind I know the answer. You can't deny he has good size, plays in a good location, and has good numbers this season. I never made the statement that happens on here a lot... "this would be a great pick-up". All I said is that recruits are noticing we are going to the ACC.

But if we want to talk about recruiting. How many guys has Marrone sent offers to that everyone complains What this kid sucks, is too small, has no offers and all the other complaining that goes on. Then 1 - 2 months before LOI day some of these kids start to get contacted from some bigger schools and all of a sudden people who were complaining about the kid start hoping we keep the commit. Maybe the kid is nobody - maybe he's a decent player who knows. Indiana, Iowa, and Iowa State have interest in him as well according to Rivals

This kid's a plan B. We have so many better prospects on the board right now that we are still in it with. I can't believe they'd take this kid if he called them tomorrow and asked to commit. They'd tell him to wait a bit.

This kid's a plan B. We have so many better prospects on the board right now that we are still in it with. I can't believe they'd take this kid if he called them tomorrow and asked to commit. They'd tell him to wait a bit.

and I don't doubt that for a second. My real point was that it's good to hear any recruit say they like that we are going to be in the ACC, especially recruits from any southern state.

I'm just sick of everything having to turn to a negative. Who knows if this kid or some other under the radar kid we've offered awhile ago doesn't blow up in recruiting in the next month or so. There is a precedent by our staff to identify some talent early in the process.

It's good to hear that the ACC makes a difference, but you can't compete in the ACC with all under the radar type of kids. I'm really starting to wonder if we are even being considered by top players. This is the first time I've actually heard that Tim Daoust is even involved with recruiting. We seem to have some dead weight recruiting coaches on this staff. This staff is not very charasmatic. The only name we consistently hear is Wheatley.

It's good to hear that the ACC makes a difference, but you can't compete in the ACC with all under the radar type of kids. I'm really starting to wonder if we are even being considered by top players. This is the first time I've actually heard that Tim Daoust is even involved with recruiting. We seem to have some dead weight recruiting coaches on this staff. This staff is not very charasmatic. The only name we consistently hear is Wheatley.
And you're basing this on...?

From the list of players and who they are recruited by.
So judging by that list, some players aren't recruited by anyone. Without knowing how our system works, you can't make baseless observations like that. Each member of our staff has a role in recruiting, Wheatley's is more pronounced because of the inroads and instant credibility he has in Michigan.

Either you don't know what your talking about or you don't really follow recruiting that much but pretty much every sentence here is off or wrong.

SU just needs 1 diamond in the rough recruit who can help us in a major way to get a 8 or 9 win season and then I believe recruiting will be fine. It takes 4-5 years to rebuild unless your a blue blood program or cheat. Syracuse has been killed by the injury bug for atleast 5 years and haven't had a 1st or 2nd round NFL pick since Adam Terry. We need our coaching staff to maximize the talent we got till somebody busts out.

What I wouldn't give for a couple recruiting threads that don't have to take a negative twist into "oh God we will never compete," land. This isn't like dogging the coaching staff over a play call, or debating the order of the depth chart. Those are all decisions that could go multiple different ways... complaining about recruiting is not the same. Sure we all might rant every now and then when we find out that we lost out on a guy, but day in and day out it serves no purpose. The coaches do as well as they can. So far we have increasingly been in on more and more good players early, but haven't gotten to the point where we have been able to seal the deal... and until the program has established itself as a consistent winner, it won't happen.

I would like to see some more highly recruited players as well but competing in the ACC shouldn't be any different than what we are currently doing in the BE. The ACC hasn't been any better of a football conference in comparison to the BE. Heck, check the Sagarin Ratings right now for this season and the ACC is one spot behind the BE.

This kid has offers from directional michigan, FCS directional kentucky, and directional florida and it takes a move to the ACC to sway him? There are so many problems with this it's ridiculous.

Against this competition the kid should have jumped at the offer to attend a private university. Why can our staff not simply land a kid with an offer this big in front of him? Why are we recruiting against MAC schools? I know the arguments, I used to make them but evidence on the field is showing us otherwise. The fact that an under the radar guy can turn into Mike Williams is certainly true. But a whole roster full of them leads to scorched secondaries, lack of a running game, drops by WRs, undersized LBs, and DL that can't generate pressure against an FCS caliber OL.

Im all about giving the coaches their chance to run the team, but as a fan I can't help but hope for the best always, our top players from last year were not under the radar when Grob landed them. PSU was recruiting Hogue to be a LB and Carter was Mr. Football Ohio. The fact is there are 4 major components to being a head coach imo, you have to be able to manage the game on gameday, you have to be able to put together the best staff possible, you have to be able to motivate your players and get the most out them, and you have to be able to recruit. DM in 3 years has passed the litmus test on the first 3, but the fact is we wouldn't have been 8-5 last year if Grob had not landed some top notch talent before turning them into creampuffs. DM took that raw talent and molded it into a bowl team.

Expectations before this season were that the OL would be a strength, Nassib would excel after having so much experience, our WR group would be very deep, and that if Bailey could be a quality back that our offense would carry the defense. I think those expectations are falling flat.

Sorry for making this so long, I've been biting my tongue alot this year, basking in Lions glory instead. But I have serious concerns about our ability to compete against the likes of FSU, VT, Clemson, etc recruiting players like this. If we are stuck in the BE until 2014 then this kid will be on that roster. A few ok, a team built on under the radar guys is going to be a team that for most part stays under the radar.

This kid has offers from directional michigan, FCS directional kentucky, and directional florida and it takes a move to the ACC to sway him? There are so many problems with this it's ridiculous.

Against this competition the kid should have jumped at the offer to attend a private university. Why can our staff not simply land a kid with an offer this big in front of him? Why are we recruiting against MAC schools? I know the arguments, I used to make them but evidence on the field is showing us otherwise. The fact that an under the radar guy can turn into Mike Williams is certainly true. But a whole roster full of them leads to scorched secondaries, lack of a running game, drops by WRs, undersized LBs, and DL that can't generate pressure against an FCS caliber OL.

Im all about giving the coaches their chance to run the team, but as a fan I can't help but hope for the best always, our top players from last year were not under the radar when Grob landed them. PSU was recruiting Hogue to be a LB and Carter was Mr. Football Ohio. The fact is there are 4 major components to being a head coach imo, you have to be able to manage the game on gameday, you have to be able to put together the best staff possible, you have to be able to motivate your players and get the most out them, and you have to be able to recruit. DM in 3 years has passed the litmus test on the first 3, but the fact is we wouldn't have been 8-5 last year if Grob had not landed some top notch talent before turning them into creampuffs. DM took that raw talent and molded it into a bowl team.

Expectations before this season were that the OL would be a strength, Nassib would excel after having so much experience, our WR group would be very deep, and that if Bailey could be a quality back that our offense would carry the defense. I think those expectations are falling flat.

Sorry for making this so long, I've been biting my tongue alot this year, basking in Lions glory instead. But I have serious concerns about our ability to compete against the likes of FSU, VT, Clemson, etc recruiting players like this. If we are stuck in the BE until 2014 then this kid will be on that roster. A few ok, a team built on under the radar guys is going to be a team that for most part stays under the radar.

Parris had offers from BC, VA, USF, Ole Miss and Vandy. Brantley had a PSU Offer, McFarlane has got PSU coming after him now, we're up there for Tyrone Neal, who has a who's who of offers. We beat out a couple B1G and Big XII schools for James Washington, and almost all the BE schools. Tashon Whitehurst is getting a lot of looks from major programs now.

The ACC move will help us more in the next 2 years than this year, as will the bowl victory. I still meet people in New York City that ask me where I go to school, I tell them Cuse and they say good basketball but the football team sucks, right? That dark cloud over our program isn't completely lifted yet. We still haven't gotten that big win on national TV that elevated our program yet.

Im all about giving the coaches their chance to run the team, but as a fan I can't help but hope for the best always, our top players from last year were not under the radar when Grob landed them. PSU was recruiting Hogue to be a LB and Carter was Mr. Football Ohio.

I love that people end up praising GRob in their recruiting posts. Not only is it a low-blow, but it's blatantly false that our impact players from this year and last year, were big recruits. Pardon me if I have left out a couple names, but here are most of the GRob guys that Marrone has been using this year and last to turn this program around. I see two 4-stars, and the funny part is, in AAM and Dy Davis, we have two freshman already on the roster who could end up giving us what those two did (not saying AS good, but potentially capable of doing their jobs).

QB- Nassib (2 Star)
RB- Carter (4 Star), Bailey (2 Star)
WR- Chew (2 Star), Graham (2 Star)
TE- Provo (3 Star), Stevens (2 Star)
OL- Bart (2 Star)
DL- Tribbey (2 Star), Perkins (2 Star), Jones (2 Star), Stache (3 Star)
LB- Smith (2 Star), Hogue (4 Star)
DB- Holmes (2 Star), Merk (2 Star), Scott (2 Star), Suter (3 Star)

So not only does GRob get false credit in this area, he wasn't even the one to develop these guys into solid players... Marrone was. So that speaks even more loudly about the staff we have in place. They have proven capable of developing players, and yet the star-watchers out there continue to show little faith.

I love that people end up praising GRob in their recruiting posts. Not only is it a low-blow, but it's blatantly false that our impact players from this year and last year, were big recruits. Pardon me if I have left out a couple names, but here are most of the GRob guys that Marrone has been using this year and last to turn this program around. I see two 4-stars, and the funny part is, in AAM and Dy Davis, we have two freshman already on the roster who could end up giving us what those two did (not saying AS good, but potentially capable of doing their jobs).

QB- Nassib (2 Star)
RB- Carter (4 Star), Bailey (2 Star)
WR- Chew (2 Star), Graham (2 Star)
TE- Provo (3 Star), Stevens (2 Star)
OL- Bart (2 Star)
DL- Tribbey (2 Star), Perkins (2 Star), Jones (2 Star), Stache (3 Star)
LB- Smith (2 Star), Hogue (4 Star)
DB- Holmes (2 Star), Merk (2 Star), Scott (2 Star), Suter (3 Star)

So not only does GRob get false credit in this area, he wasn't even the one to develop these guys into solid players... Marrone was. So that speaks even more loudly about the staff we have in place. They have proven capable of developing players, and yet the star-watchers out there continue to show little faith.

That's not true. Bailey played as a true frosh under G-Rob, as did Van Chew and Provo. Suter was good before G-Rob got here, Hogue was showing promise as a RB. I remember talk about Nassib looking really good my freshman year, which was 2008. Like it or not, his recruiting classes were good. They were his recruits and he did help a fair amount of them develop. Marrone's will get there in time, but the damage from being a doormat for 4 years hurt us alot.

That's not true. Bailey played as a true frosh under G-Rob, as did Van Chew and Provo. Suter was good before G-Rob got here, Hogue was showing promise as a RB. I remember talk about Nassib looking really good my freshman year, which was 2008. Like it or not, his recruiting classes were good. They were his recruits and he did help a fair amount of them develop. Marrone's will get there in time, but the damage from being a doormat for 4 years hurt us alot.

I really think you are oversimplifying. I'm not talking about just playing, and I am not saying the classes weren't good. Just that the impact players who were holdovers and helped us reach this new level this year and last, were not normally high recruits like some want you to believe. And they were nowhere near the players that Marrone turned them into, again, in most cases.

G-Rob had the energy to recruit, but his on the field results killed any chance for him to be successful on the recruiting trail. You gotta give G-Rob credit for the recruiting he was able to do. Hogue was a 4star recruit who picked SU over Penn State because G-Rob let him play RB when Marrone came in the first thing he did was move Hogue and Smith from RB to LB. Also, Delone Carter was Mr. Ohio in football over Beanie Wells and G-Rob went into Ohio and got him. He also beat Virginia Tech for Bud Tribbey. If G-Rob ever had 6-7 win seasons I believe he could have recruited players to SU, but he was so bad at game planning and preparing the team to play he had no chance for success. I got to see more from Marrone on the recruiting trail, but I will give him through next year (4 years) before I will say he can't recruit. It does seem like he strikes out on his A-listers and moves on to people he wants early and gets it over with. Cam Lynch, Dy Davis, Marcus Sprull, Sharmko Thomas all seem like solid defensive players, but I haven't seen anybody on the offensive side of the ball that makes go that guy can be an all conference player. Jarrod West has shown flashes and I like Robert Trudo at center for next year, but not enough talent on offense. Prince Tyson Gulley had some bursts against Toledo, but he is out for the year. I just hope with another bowl season this year Marrone gets it done for 2012-2013 recruiting.

I never once mentioned stars. If you also read my post closely you will see that I specifically mention that Grob recruited them but development stunk. DM developed them, but the 2 best players on our team last year were Hogue and Carter and both had significant offers. Grob couldn't shine a diamond to sparkle under flourescents, however DM can try to shine coal all day and it still may not sparkle. That's all I'm trying to say. As for me praising Grob as a recruiter let me be clear, I was no fan of his classes, they were seriously top loaded with little to work with on the backside of the class. Grob could land the guys like Lobdell, Carter, Collier, Cantey, etc. But then the classes were backfilled with guys like the one we are currently discussing, offers from non-aq and FCS schools.

G-Rob had the energy to recruit, but his on the field results killed any chance for him to be successful on the recruiting trail. You gotta give G-Rob credit for the recruiting he was able to do. Hogue was a 4star recruit who picked SU over Penn State because G-Rob let him play RB when Marrone came in the first thing he did was move Hogue and Smith from RB to LB. Also, Delone Carter was Mr. Ohio in football over Beanie Wells and G-Rob went into Ohio and got him. He also beat Virginia Tech for Bud Tribbey. If G-Rob ever had 6-7 win seasons I believe he could have recruited players to SU, but he was so bad at game planning and preparing the team to play he had no chance for success. I got to see more from Marrone on the recruiting trail, but I will give him through next year (4 years) before I will say he can't recruit. It does seem like he strikes out on his A-listers and moves on to people he wants early and gets it over with. Cam Lynch, Dy Davis, Marcus Sprull, Sharmko Thomas all seem like solid defensive players, but I haven't seen anybody on the offensive side of the ball that makes go that guy can be an all conference player. Jarrod West has shown flashes and I like Robert Trudo at center for next year, but not enough talent on offense. Prince Tyson Gulley had some bursts against Toledo, but he is out for the year. I just hope with another bowl season this year Marrone gets it done for 2012-2013 recruiting.

Good points... I just think we are continuing to see another unfair "grass is always greener" outlook around here. I don't think it is a coincidence that so many of GRob's big recruits didn't pan out. I think people naively act like it was a fluke that those personalities didn't result in impact players, and ridiculously use it as ammo against Marrone's recruiting ability. The second thing that bugs me is that people just talk about offense. Defense was the main concern when Marrone got here, and in just a couple years he got us a boatload of athletes for that side of the ball. We have just recently began focusing on adding playmakers to the O, and we still have a lot of veterans as it is. Just asking for people to be realistic.

I never once mentioned stars. If you also read my post closely you will see that I specifically mention that Grob recruited them but development stunk. DM developed them, but the 2 best players on our team last year were Hogue and Carter and both had significant offers. Grob couldn't shine a diamond to sparkle under flourescents, however DM can try to shine coal all day and it still may not sparkle. That's all I'm trying to say. As for me praising Grob as a recruiter let me be clear, I was no fan of his classes, they were seriously top loaded with little to work with on the backside of the class. Grob could land the guys like Lobdell, Carter, Collier, Cantey, etc. But then the classes were backfilled with guys like the one we are currently discussing, offers from non-aq and FCS schools.

Well if this is mainly just about two players, then I still don't see the hubbub, because like I said, we have two freshman on the roster who could very well give us what those two four-stars did. And I agree with your assessment of GRob's top-heavy classes, but what I don't agree with is your assessment of this year's class. Almost every kid that Marrone brings in has a much higher ceiling than what he is currently doing. That wasn't the case with GRob's classes. Will every one of them be successful, I am guessing no. But with the exception of maybe one or two, can you really look at a Marrone recruit and say he WON'T be an impact player?