Another shocking offensive tidbit from Saturday's game | Syracusefan.com

Another shocking offensive tidbit from Saturday's game

RF2044

Living Legend
As a team, we only scored FOURTEEN [14] field goals in Saturday's loss.

Once you've wrapped your head around that disheartening futility, consider that of those 14, Tyler Lydon made 5 of them.

Which means that the remaining 8 guys on the team combined to make 9 field goals... the entire game.

Oh Lord

That is a crazy stat. Hopefully we look to run more tonight to try and speed up the temp on Wiscy.

Horrid numbers, for sure. But I blame the disruptive SC defense and the shell shock we got from it. We still managed 9 assists on those 14 field goals. Michigan only mustered 10 field goals against SC and one single assist. I really think these poor numbers by both us and Michigan are more a result of how insane SC is on defense. Hopefully we stay FAAAAR away from them in the NCAA tourney.

Horrid numbers, for sure. But I blame the disruptive SC defense and the shell shock we got from it. We still managed 9 assists on those 14 field goals. Michigan only mustered 10 field goals against SC and one single assist. I really think these poor numbers by both us and Michigan are more a result of how insane SC is on defense. Hopefully we stay FAAAAR away from them in the NCAA tourney.
Can't wait to play Virginia, their m2m may be better.

As a team, we only scored FOURTEEN [14] field goals in Saturday's loss.

Once you've wrapped your head around that disheartening futility, consider that of those 14, Tyler Lydon made 5 of them.

Which means that the remaining 8 guys on the team combined to make 9 field goals... the entire game.

Oh Lord

We are shooting 44% from three on the year and we were 6-15 from three, yet somehow we were 8-29 from 2.

This happened last year a lot as well. We are very poor at finishing around the basket.

SC's defense was tremendous. But that said, nobody can ignore how incredibly poor of an offensive performance this was, and how disjointed we played as a team. No lipstick should be applied to this pig.

Right now, our ability to cohesively execute half court offensive sets is in shambles.

I really thought the shots we took were Ok, but we didnt make many of them.. The SC kids made a bunch of much tougher shots.

The biggest issue was the sloppy play with the ball around the basket and passes that were just lazy

That is a crazy stat. Hopefully we look to run more tonight to try and speed up the temp on Wiscy.
Can't run unless we force turnovers and close out possessions.

We are shooting 44% from three on the year and we were 6-15 from three, yet somehow we were 8-29 from 2.

This happened last year a lot as well. We are very poor at finishing around the basket.

Too many guys got away from those 15-footers they'd been calmly sinking and instead created more difficult shots for themselves in traffic. Lydon and Thompson especially need to be reminded to take the open shot and not dribble into trouble.

Too many guys got away from those 15-footers they'd been calmly sinking and instead created more difficult shots for themselves in traffic. Lydon and Thompson especially need to be reminded to take the open shot and not dribble into trouble.
I hope Taurean continues to take the 15 footer, he can hit it with regularity.

Couple thoughts:
1. We didn't run an offense against SC. Their defense put us on our heels and our guards didn't initiate much at all. So not shocked that we had poor shooting numbers - nobody worked to generate good shots.
2. We also seemed to be in "stall ball" for most of the game. Even down 8 or so with 6 minutes left, our guards seemed to pound the ball for 15 seconds about 8 feet behind the 3-pt line. Why, I'm not sure. They just seemed completely listless. This wasted much time and didn't generate shots.
3. All these wonderful 12-15 ft jumpers that TT, TR, and DC were hitting against cupcakes are not the shots we want. The need to go to the hole. So not shocking our 2-pt % was poor in this game. Settling for those shots was starting to become habit.

Some of the blame goes to FH and JG, but honestly against that type of defense, Tyler Ennis did basically the same thing (Dayton). Against Butler Andy Rautins, Scoop, and company did exactly the same thing. Rarely do we have a game like this so early in the season, so that bodes well - the team has seen they can't be staggered back by a defense like this and then default to one-on-one play. It might be a big positive for us to have had that experience at this point.

I hope Taurean continues to take the 15 footer, he can hit it with regularity.

Yep, all of them should, right down to Coleman. That's one of the things that impressed me most in the early games. We've got a ton of big men who have obviously worked hard on their shooting.

Boeheim must be tearing his hair out watching them forget that and instead drive their defender right into Chukwu under the basket.

Yep, all of them should, right down to Coleman. That's one of the things that impressed me most in the early games. We've got a ton of big men who have obviously worked hard on their shooting.

Boeheim must be tearing his hair out watching them forget that and instead drive their defender right into Chukwu under the basket.
Agreed. They must show it in practice because if they didn't, Boeheim would be flipping out when they take them in a game. Thompson's 15 footer reminds me of CJ, minus the left hand. It is smooth and I always expect it to go in.

SC's defense was tremendous. But that said, nobody can ignore how incredibly poor of an offensive performance this was, and how disjointed we played as a team. No lipstick should be applied to this pig.

Right now, our ability to cohesively execute half court offensive sets is in shambles.
Apparently you can ignore how Michigan fared even worse...and their offense has all of the movement you crave.

Apparently you can ignore how Michigan fared even worse...and their offense has all of the movement you crave.

I already acknowledged that SC played great defense--learn to read. That isn't mutually exclusive to us playing poorly--which we did, playing right into SC's hands.

I focus on what our team does, and what they need to improve. Standing around, not executing offensive sets, and reverting to all one-on-one play hampered our chances to make a comeback, no matter how you'd like to rationalize it. And we are capable of playing better, and will need to in order to make a deep postseason run. We need to figure some things out, because SC isn't the only tough defensive club that we're going to face this season.

But if you want to console yourself with the rationalization that Michigan played poorly too, be my guest.

I already acknowledged that SC played great defense--learn to read. That isn't mutually exclusive to us playing poorly--which we did, playing right into SC's hands.

I focus on what our team does, and what they need to improve. Standing around, not executing offensive sets, and reverting to all one-on-one play hampered our chances to make a comeback, no matter how you'd like to rationalize it. And we are capable of playing better, and will need to in order to make a deep postseason run.
"SC's defense was tremendous. But that said..."

I seem to remember cutting the deficit to three. I also seem to remember a lot of posters on here acknowledging that this team needed to jell and would go through some growing pains early. Nothing has changed.

Stating the offense is in shambles after one loss is not analysis, it's an overreaction.

"SC's defense was tremendous. But that said..."

I seem to remember cutting the deficit to three. I also seem to remember a lot of posters on here acknowledging that this team needed to jell and would go through some growing pains early. Nothing has changed.

Stating the offense is in shambles after one loss is not analysis, it's an overreaction.

No, it is an accurate assessment of how we have run our half court offensive sets all year. And it isn't just one game, it has been 5 [not including the two exhibition games, where it was more of the same] where we've seen the same issues / problems manifest--too much one-on-one, and not enough execution of the half court offense--we were just playing opponents that we could dominate despite not playing cohesive offense.

That is a problem, and will continue to be a problem until the issue is solved. Acknowledging that the team needs to jell does not change the FACT that right now, our team has issues and is relying too much on one-and-one play, despite not having the personnel for that style. Suggesting that we would go through some growing pains early isn't an explanation, it is merely an excuse for poor play.

What happened after we cut it to 3? Do you seem to recall us getting over the hump, or did we go on to miss free throws, turn the ball over, and blow miss inside chip shots--all of which prevented us from cutting into that lead further?

Do you seem to remember them stretching their lead back out after we cut it to 3, out to double digits--multiple times? But hey--we cut it to 3.

Last edited:
No, it is an accurate assessment of how we run our half court offensive sets. And it isn't just one game, it has been 5 where we've seen too much one-on-one, and not enough execution of the half court offense.

That is a problem, and will continue to be a problem until the issue is solved. Acknowledging that the team needs to jell does not change the FACT that right now, our team has issues and is relying too much on one-and-one play, despite not having the personnel for that style. Suggesting that we would go through some growing pains early isn't an explanation, it is merely an excuse for poor play.

What happened after we cut it to 3? Do you seem to recall us getting over the hump, or did we go on to miss free throws, turn the ball over, and blow miss inside chip shots--all of which prevented us from cutting into that lead further?

Do you seem to remember them stretching their lead back out after we cut it to 3, out to double digits--multiple times? But hey--we cut it to 3.
No, I completely forgot all of that. Thanks for reminding me.

We've now reached the point in the thread where you will repeat yourself every time someone disagrees with you.

No, I completely forgot all of that. Thanks for reminding me.

We've now reached the point in the thread where you will repeat yourself every time someone disagrees with you.

Which perfectly coincides with the part of the thread where you troll for no reason other than to be an instigator.

You're welcome.

Which perfectly coincides with the part of the thread where you troll for no reason other than to be an instigator.

You're welcome.
Nope, I'm just going to wait for you to provide a true counterpoint.

Nope, I'm just going to wait for you to provide a true counterpoint.

To what? Your irrelevant point about Michigan also struggling?

SC being strong defensively isn't mutually exclusive to us playing poorly, and our flaws sinking our chances to make a comeback. I already credited SC for playing well defensively in this thread 30 minutes before you decided to troll it into a straw man issue.

To what? Your irrelevant point about Michigan also struggling?

SC being strong defensively isn't mutually exclusive to us playing poorly, and our flaws sinking our chances to make a comeback. I already credited SC for playing well defensively in this thread 30 minutes before you decided to troll it into a straw man issue.
There you go again repeating yourself.

It's not irrelevant that Michigan also struggled, not if you truly believe that South Carolina is a great defensive team.

Troll...You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Same goes for straw man.

There you go again repeating yourself.

It's not irrelevant that Michigan also struggled, not if you truly believe that South Carolina is a great defensive team.

Troll...You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Same goes for straw man.

Holy pot calling the kettle black with the repeating stuff. I love that you pulled out the "truly believe" card, because you must inhabit fantasy land if you don't see that our team's haflcourt offense sucks right now.

Again--just so we're clear, since you seem to struggle with false attributions--SC is good defensively. They took it to both Michigan and us. However, Michigan's offensive performance is not related to ours. We wouldn't have struggled as much on Saturday if we'd even done just a few things better, and hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so frequently with miscues, or if one of the two talented point guards on this team had stepped up and done a better job of running the team.

If it makes you feel better to pretend that our offense is humming right now, and that what we saw Saturday was just a blip that was entirely attributable to SC's defense and not how we played, that's a grossly oversimplified view and I doubt you'll find too many posters who will agree.

Holy pot calling the kettle black with the repeating stuff. I love that you pulled out the "truly believe" card, because you must inhabit fantasy land if you don't see that our team's haflcourt offense sucks right now.

Again--just so we're clear, since you seem to struggle with false attributions--SC is good defensively. They took it to both Michigan and us. However, Michigan's performance is not related to ours. We wouldn't have struggled as much, if we'd done a few things better, and hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so frequently with miscues.

If it makes you feel better to pretend that our offense is humming right now, that the issues pointed out above are non-existent, and than what we saw Saturday was just a blip that was entirely attributable to SC's defense and not how we played, then I doubt you'll find too many posters who will agree.
Nope, never said that. Just disagree that the offense is in shambles. After tonight (and I'm not expecting a win), the game will slow down as they say. We'll have more success executing on offense because we won't be playing in mud. Then we can begin to improve.

What did I repeat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom