Another shocking offensive tidbit from Saturday's game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Another shocking offensive tidbit from Saturday's game

They need to get out in transition and were unable to do so the last two games. That should change for the remainder of the non-conference schedule. Cohesiveness in the half court will take more time.

Getting out in transition is easier said than done with this squad. In order to do so, you either need to get stops, force turnovers, or get a lot of defensive rebounds. We do none of those things well right now, which makes relying upon transition scoring an iffy proposition BEYOND the remainder of the non-conference schedule.

Half court execution is a major, major problem for this team right now, for a variety of reasons that go beyond just cohesiveness. But at least you're coming around and starting to recognize that there are some systemic flaws hampering our offense right now.

I don't disagree with any of that, but this doesn't take into account the fact that Boeheim's running simple stuff that doesn't put his talented players in a position to succeed.

Think about what our players would do with Wisconsin's ball movement and cutting. Our efficiency would go through the roof.

Wisconsin put on an absolute clinic during yesterday's game. Nearly every shot they took was wide open. They scored easily despite not getting out much in transition and converting easy scoring opportunities.

Compare that to our half court execution, and what our players are trying to do out there. The difference is stark.

Wisconsin put on an absolute clinic during yesterday's game. Nearly every shot they took was wide open. They scored easily despite not getting out much in transition and converting easy scoring opportunities.

Compare that to our half court execution, and what our players are trying to do out there. The difference is stark.
To be fair, I think we would be more effective in the half court if we were playing against something resembling our current defense.

Wisky was making 6-8 passes before taking a shot. In and out, side to side, high to low.

Syracuse would try 1-2 passes, then chunk up a brick. The only time they were effective was passing inside to Coleman who could use his size to move Happ out of the way.

Wisky was making 6-8 passes before taking a shot. In and out, side to side, high to low.

Syracuse would try 1-2 passes, then chunk up a brick. The only time they were effective was passing inside to Coleman who could use his size to move Happ out of the way.

In the second half, the vast majority of our possessions fell into one of the following three categories:
  • One pass, quick shot, miss, one-and-out as Wisconsin secures the defensive rebound
  • Player decides to try to force something to happen, takes ill advised quick shot, miss, one-and-out as Wisconsin secures the defensive rebound
  • Turnover

They need to get out in transition and were unable to do so the last two games. That should change for the remainder of the non-conference schedule. Cohesiveness in the half court will take more time.

Even our attempts at transition were pathetic last night. Gillon couldn't get the ball over the defender to feed White on a break, White chose not to feed Howard for an easy dunk on the break, and Gillon went up for a contested layup when an easy alley oop to Battle was readily available.

What's still so shocking to me after our second straight loss is that we looked so good against our cupcake platter. At least with last year, we never really seemed to obliterate the cupcakes like we always do with our better teams, and you could see that the team was going to struggle a bit through the season. This year, we crushed the first four teams and managed to put up 100 points for the first time in four seasons. I don't think I've ever seen an SU team look so good against cupcakes but so bad against legit competition before.

What's still so shocking to me after our second straight loss is that we looked so good against our cupcake platter. At least with last year, we never really seemed to obliterate the cupcakes like we always do with our better teams, and you could see that the team was going to struggle a bit through the season. This year, we crushed the first four teams and managed to put up 100 points for the first time in four seasons. I don't think I've ever seen an SU team look so good against cupcakes but so bad against legit competition before.
I think that pretty much encapsulates both the talent of this team and how much they need to work on.

I'm hesitant to call Monmouth a cupcake. They're more or less the same team as last year.

I'm hesitant to call Monmouth a cupcake. They're more or less the same team as last year.

Very true. And it showed when we had a slightly tougher time putting them away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom