Another Win. Another Drop in the NET? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Another Win. Another Drop in the NET?

The NET understands that an 8 point loss/win isn’t really any different than a 20 point loss/win, right?

How does it actually work? The criteria should be whether or not it was a game within reach or a game not within reach. It shouldn’t be incremental, like a 5 point loss is marginally worse than a 2 point loss. Those losses are the same.

Thanks in advance to whomever can clear this up for me.
I will say the NET is very flawed. How is St. Bonaventure 70 and we are 84?

I know the reason is margin of victory ( our losses are usually beatdowns)

But Bonnies have 2 Q3 Ls, 2 Q4 Ls and ZERO Q1 W

Make it make sense to me

One thing to keep an eye on too is that the committee has looked at wins over the tourney field too. If Colgate and Cornell are both in via auto bid, UNC we know is in, Pitt snags a bid and we beat Clemson- that’s 6 wins over the field or the two wins over Pitt give us two wins over a fellow bubble team too plus the other 4 wins over tourney teams. Find a way to beat Duke or UVA in the ACCT too and boom

Make it make sense to me
“The NET includes more components than just winning percentage. It takes into account game results, strength of schedule, game location, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses.”

getting blown out kills your efficiency numbers. Close wins you’ll typically have similar efficiency numbers to your opponent. It’s not a mystery why NET hates us. And it’s not something we can make up this late in the season anyway.

It’s an extremely flawed ranking but it’s obvious why we have a low NET.

Our RPI is 28 and our SOS is 6. If this was 2017 we’d be on the right side of the bubble, IMO. But with NET being the focus we are an afterthought.

I do think we are in a better spot than most people think and we could end up being the worst NET ever to get an at large.

Ok, if you guys think the ACC is better than the Big 10 & 12, I don't even know what to tell you. The ACC sucks

Ok, if you guys think the ACC is better than the Big 10 & 12, I don't even know what to tell you. The ACC sucks
Yeah I mean the eye test really says it all. Not sure how you can watch any number of B12 teams and think the ACC compares - outside of Duke, UNC and Wake.

One thing to keep an eye on too is that the committee has looked at wins over the tourney field too. If Colgate and Cornell are both in via auto bid, UNC we know is in, Pitt snags a bid and we beat Clemson- that’s 6 wins over the field or the two wins over Pitt give us two wins over a fellow bubble team too plus the other 4 wins over tourney teams. Find a way to beat Duke or UVA in the ACCT too and boom
Exactly. Thought I said this somewhere else too. There’s teams out there that didn’t even attempt a real noncon. Big12 but also other ACC teams as well. There is no reason to be playing 350+ Net ranked teams at home as p5 team let alone 2 like Nc state did.

I was told we should be happy because we won the game lol
We should be happy we won rather than lost. Absolutely.

The second half was very difficult to watch.

If we had maintained the 29 point margin through the second half, we probably would have jumped substantially in the one metric where our resume is weakest.

While the missed opportunity yesterday pales in comparison to our two bad losses, it still hurts.

Blowing out bad teams has become more important than narrowly defeating decent teams with the current criteria for admission to the NCAA Tournament.

The casual/normal fan just wants us to win.
But that's not what gets you into the Tournament.
I get the common sense, but it doesn't hold any more.
So I am upset that Red fails to coach to a) not getting blown out, and b) holding the ball to maintain the large lead at the end of a half.

And Colgate losing to American doesn't help us.

I cant freaking stand that margin of victory or defeat is factored into this. How much does the committee look at NET rankings? Is it a big factor? If a team is up 15 with 3 mins left, and the other team hits a couple meaningless 3’s and goes on a 12-2 run to end the game and its a 5 point margin, that should have zero effect on a team’s ranking.

Anyway heres how im looking at it. If we lose any 1 of the final 3 games, we need to win acc tourny to get in. If we win our final 3 then i think we’ll be a legit bubble team and how many wins we need in acc tourny will depend on what other bubble teams do. But we’ll have a good chance with a couple wins.

Make it make sense to me
Because the programmer hates us. He must have been rejected by Syracuse when he applied college.

We had a chance to really blow out an inferior team to make a big positive move in the NET.

It seems we have a very hard time sustaining momentum.
What I don't understand is how, with very similar records, and sweeping NC State and Pitt our NET is lower. Not sure how that is a reliable indicator of anything.

What I don't understand is how, with very similar records, and sweeping NC State and Pitt our NET is lower. Not sure how that is a reliable indicator of anything.
Blowout losses.
And we have greater luck - called out in Kenpom but comes through in NET.

I cant freaking stand that margin of victory or defeat is factored into this. How much does the committee look at NET rankings? Is it a big factor? If a team is up 15 with 3 mins left, and the other team hits a couple meaningless 3’s and goes on a 12-2 run to end the game and its a 5 point margin, that should have zero effect on a team’s ranking.

Anyway heres how im looking at it. If we lose any 1 of the final 3 games, we need to win acc tourny to get in. If we win our final 3 then i think we’ll be a legit bubble team and how many wins we need in acc tourny will depend on what other bubble teams do. But we’ll have a good chance with a couple wins.
Scoring margin is not factored into the NET. Offensive/defensive efficiency is a large part of the equation. We have not done great in those areas this year.

Margin of victory is a joke, and it'd bad REALLY bad for the game. No team should ever be rewarded for pouring it on. EVER. F...ING disgrace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom