Any lingering doubts about expansion ? | Syracusefan.com

Any lingering doubts about expansion ?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Then take a look at this chart:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/06/Colleges/ACC-TV.aspx

The difference in money is jaw dropping.

Aside from that, interesting that the Big East announced adding Memphis and pushing Boise for a year earlier. That would seem like smoke signals to me that WVU will indeed be leaving. And we might be a year behind them rather than two.

Also interesting to see that both the Rhode Island court AND the West Virginia court hearing the competing lawsuits have asked the parties to mediate.

All sounds to me like WVU is gonzo and we are lining up right behind.

Discussed the other day and there is a lengthy thread.

Sent from my DROIDX

Discussed the other day and there is a lengthy thread.

Sent from my DROIDX

Far as I know, the Memphis part, and the part about the WVU court also pushing mediation are new topics that weren't in that other thread about Boise. Appreciate your effort to keep the board easy to read, but those are a couple big new bits of news, IMO.

Far as I know, the Memphis part, and the part about the WVU court also pushing mediation are new topics that weren't in that other thread about Boise. Appreciate your effort to keep the board easy to read, but those are a couple big new bits of news, IMO.

Pretty sure the article was linked before.

I wouldn't read too much into the courts pushing mediation - that's what they always do in situations like these to try to get the parties to settle out of court and also as a favor to supplement former judges' pensions.

I wouldn't read too much into the courts pushing mediation - that's what they always do in situations like these to try to get the parties to settle out of court and also as a favor to supplement former judges' pensions.

Well, to me Rhode Island has a more tentative claim on jurisdiction, since (a) it is not the official jurisdictional home of the conference, Washington, DC is, and (b) West Virginia University is an arm of the state, and a state cannot be sued in another state's court, only in its home state or federal court. Neither action has been removed to federal court, I believe, and I think this portends that WVU is going to get out. By West Virginia state court saying, "yes, mediate", they're saying, "OK, you've got your window, make the deal."