Any shot at being ranked next week? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Any shot at being ranked next week?

I'd love to be ranked in the AP or Coaches Poll, but I don't see it. Short of beating a top 5 team, it's hard to go from not receiving any votes (or 3 votes) to ranked. I think we get back to where we were before the Pitt loss...#28-#30.

We actually have a better shot IMO at getting ranked in the CFP poll, because there should be a lack of bias regarding any previous ranking (or lack of). Our record and SOS, standing on their own, are Top 25 caliber. People underestimate how hard it is to crack the AP Top 25 starting from a position of being unranked and not receiving any votes.

#15 Washington LOST to Cal
#16 Tex A&AM LOST to Miss St
#18 Iowa LOST to #17 Penn St
#19 Oregon LOSING to Arizona 44-15
#20 Wisconsin LOST to NW
#21 USF LOST to Houston
#22 NC St LOST to Us
#25 App St LOST to Ga Southern

It's a matter of how many fall out completely (Wash, A&M and Iowa will stay), and I think OK St and UVA get spots...and think there is room for us at late #20's.

Here is projection from one website having us at #18...but they also said we won 44-41 so not putting much faith in them!

Let not forget #24 Stanford lost. And top team in other votes Texas Tech lost as well. Miami and San Diego State losing is also great for us because they were in top 5 for other receiving votes

You think the team gets better by playing tinkerbells?
We've done this before...even if we play them close...we usually suffer bad effects afterwards with injured players.

It will be interesting to see the rankings: Cuse, UVA, BC and NC St all very similar in record. Voters are looking at too many ACC teams and will wonder if the ACC is just overall mediocre. Throw in VT and Miami too.

I'd love to be ranked in the AP or Coaches Poll, but I don't see it. Short of beating a top 5 team, it's hard to go from not receiving any votes (or 3 votes) to ranked. I think we get back to where we were before the Pitt loss...#28-#30.

We actually have a better shot IMO at getting ranked in the CFP poll, because there should be a lack of bias regarding any previous ranking (or lack of). Our record and SOS, standing on their own, are Top 25 caliber. People underestimate how hard it is to crack the AP Top 25 starting from a position of being unranked and not receiving any votes.

I normally would agree. But all the teams that lost. Not just top 25 teams but teams that were just outside the top 25 that received votes lost as well. We should be very close.

you'd think so, but nobody seems to be concerned about the teams in the "others receiving votes" category. How did they do? They would all get into the top 25 before us if they won. As of last week, I think we had only 3 votes in the coaches, and none in the A.P. A lot of teams ahead of us in the pecking order.
A bunch other receiving votes lost.

Plus we were on prime time national television

I believe we should be there, but probably end up 27-28

ESPN thinks 23

College football Power Rankings: Kentucky moves into the top 10

Their logic is flawless.. :)

How close is Syracuse to being unbeaten right now? The Orange's only two losses were both on the road, in overtime to Pitt and to No. 2 Clemson in a game that Syracuse led most of the way. After losing seasons in his first two years at Syracuse, Dino Babers has the Orange in line for a bowl game in Year 3, and they're scoring points in bunches after Eric Dungeyaccounted for four touchdowns in holding off the Wolfpack.

Last edited:
We've done this before...even if we play them close...we usually suffer bad effects afterwards with injured players.

It will be interesting to see the rankings: Cuse, UVA, BC and NC St all very similar in record. Voters are looking at too many ACC teams and will wonder if the ACC is just overall mediocre. Throw in VT and Miami too.

Not even close. SU did not get blown out by Clemson like most others.

23rd in ESPN Power Rankings and recognized for being 2 minutes and a better OT performance from being undefeated. The lack of pre season respect is only reasons we wouldnt be ranked yet. Let them snub us, add another chip to knock off next week.

I think we get in naturally around 23. It is interesting to look at the poll posted earlier, I think it was cbs. That has us at 22. It was looking at our future schedule as well. It makes me wonder if some voters on the bubble of voting for us will with eyes on pumping up that game. They may be thinking get Syracuse in now in the 20-25 range after beating a ranked team. Then see if Syracuse can get a quality win at WF and handle business at home. That would give the press a nice top15 Syracuse at 3 Notre Dame game in New York City!

Freaking Pitt...

We would easily be top 20 (7-1 with a ranked win and a very close loss Clemson) if Pitt’s kicker was just a little worse.

Instead, we’re hoping for a miracle to be ranked at all.

We better handle Wake(unlike Pitt). Need our O to be on their A game and put up 50-60 and leave no doubts.

Then we need to drub Louisville at Home. Do that and we’re 8-2 and probably somewhere between #15 and 20 going into the ND game. That would be a lot of fun.

Get business done at wake (which will be very tough) and we're in

ESPN thinks 23

College football Power Rankings: Kentucky moves into the top 10

Their logic is flawless.. :)

How close is Syracuse to being unbeaten right now? The Orange's only two losses were both on the road, in overtime to Pitt and to No. 2 Clemson in a game that Syracuse led most of the way. After losing seasons in his first two years at Syracuse, Dino Babers has the Orange in line for a bowl game in Year 3, and they're scoring points in bunches after Eric Dungeyaccounted for four touchdowns in holding off the Wolfpack.
I agree with their take... we are two freaking plays from being undefeated. We just beat a top 25 team. There aren’t 25 teams better than us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom