Any special superstitions through this streak | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any special superstitions through this streak

Many. I am a complete wacko with superstitions.

I have a box of kleenex on my desk at work. I had one kleenex in it to start the season and refuse to use the last one. I almost had to fire an employee last week when they reached for it.
Man, I thought you were going to say that you were blowing your nose in that same tissue every game. Yikes...

It seemed like last year when I'd wear my Cuse hoodie on game day, they lost a few times. So, then I stopped wearing it and they seemed to win more. So this year I didn't wear it. But I tempted fate and wore it a few tough games including Duke, and they still won. Last couple games I didn't have it on, and they barely squeaked by. So, either it doesn't matter if I wear it or not, or I better start wearing it religiously so these buzzer beaters stop.

Believe it or not... I'm nowhere near as neurotic as I used to be. But here goes:
Always stand. The entire game, location is set so that remotes, coaster, coffee cup and coffee table are in the same spot. To prove to my wife I'm not superstitious I never wear Orange. Ever. Of course, if I see a game in person, sure; because I'm not superstitious.

I never touch anything green on game day. It started with Cleveland State. I correctly deduced that we have lost to a disproportionate numbers of team with the color green as one of their colors. Red's next but 2003 wiped 1987.

My 26 year old can't be anywhere around. She's bad luck. She graduated from Michigan. Once earlier this year, she wandered in, and to push my buttons sat in the chair in the far corner of the dining room. I informed her that if we went ahead while she was sitting there that she would not be permitted to move from that spot... ever. She left.

Last but certainly not least. I have a pair of SU socks that I have only worn five times: two births, two college graduations and the 2003 Nat'l Championship. Do I wear them again this year?

Last edited:
Believe it or not... I'm nowhere near as neurotic as I used to be. But here goes:
Always stand. The entire game, location is set so that remotes, coaster, coffee cup and coffee table are in the same spot. To prove to my wife I'm not superstitious I never wear Orange. Ever. Of course, if I see a game in person, sure; because I'm not superstitious.

I never touch anything green on game day. It started with Cleveland State. I correctly deduced that we have lost to a disproportionate numbers of team with the color green as one of their colors. Red's next but 2003 wiped 1987.

My 26 year old can't be anywhere around. She's bad luck. She graduated from Michigan. Once earlier this year, she wandered in, and to push my buttons sat in the chair in the far corner of the dining room. I informed it that if we went ahead while she was sitting there that she would not be permitted to move from that spot... ever. She left.

Last but certainly not least. I have a pair of SU socks that I have only worn five times: two births, two college graduations and the 2003 Nat'l Championship. Do I wear them again this year?

Of course, you wear them when we make it to the National Championship game this year.

If it has anything to do with underwear I'm not interested but I have a couple simple ones. One, I haven't shaved off my beard that I started in the beginning of the season. Of course old man winter might have something to do with that also, but I'm not shaving it until we win the NC. The second is a no brainer. Same outfit for every game, plus I got one of those free white Chevy Cuse hats in the backcourt which has been very lucky so far.
I'm good with just about everything else: food, beverage, choice of pee troughs. No superstitions involved.
Every gameday I wear an Ohio St basketball hoody. Being the nonconformist that I am , it makes perfect sense.

A mini story... In the 09-10 season, a season that I thought could not get any better during it, the whole season I would think of the worst possible thing that could happen to us in tight situations (letting up a 3, fouling a 3 pt shooter, and-1, etc.) and I would immediately knock on wood multiple times. As if I was saying "God forbid." It basically worked the whole season, until the Butler game. Lord knows I knocked on wood the hardest I ever have that night, but it didn't change the result one bit.

That is when I realized that superstition is BS.

Is NOT! Aaaaaahhhhhhhh! <heart palpitations>

Let's see.
  1. If I call social or say I'm doing a shot, I can't bail.
  2. I don't post often during game time, same goes for chat. I usually throw in "LGO!" when we're down just for spirits.
  3. Mojo. I have to use this word before the game.
  4. The last one usually needs a House of Pain Jump Around youtube post, or Stop by Jane's Addiction.
  5. Movement from room to room. I don't do this if we've got the game locked up early. :) Obviously, I've been moving around a lot.
  6. Usually text cusetown1 a LGO. Sometimes iommi, sometimes my cousin. But that superstitious texting starts with cusetown1.
There are probably a few more but this will do for now.

A mini story... In the 09-10 season, a season that I thought could not get any better during it, the whole season I would think of the worst possible thing that could happen to us in tight situations (letting up a 3, fouling a 3 pt shooter, and-1, etc.) and I would immediately knock on wood multiple times. As if I was saying "God forbid." It basically worked the whole season, until the Butler game. Lord knows I knocked on wood the hardest I ever have that night, but it didn't change the result one bit.

That is when I realized that superstition is BS.
Ha, I knock on wood when we need a score on an important possession, also reverse knock when I don't want the other team to score. I sort of knock an odd amount of times and wipe away the knock, I try to make it jagged and awkward for the other team, a shifty little kaybash. Boom!

I have a pair of SU socks that I have only worn five times: two births, two college graduations and the 2003 Nat'l Championship. Do I wear them again this year?
Yes, please. :)

I wear my neon orange Miller Lite trucker hat for every home game, and for road games it has to be positioned in front of me on the right side of my coffee table

so yes if anyone sees a mad man with a neon orange hat in the 1st row of section 308 that is me

Last edited:
I have not shaved my beard since the start of the new year. I have 2 outfits I wear. 1 when we are home and 1 when we are away. Right down to my socks and hat. I have to listen to the same songs on gameday and I have to post the same saying on Facebook each game.

I'm going to continue drinking beer only on days that end in a "y." It's been working all season long ...