Any updates on the lake effect snow for tonight? | Syracusefan.com

Any updates on the lake effect snow for tonight?

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I've seen anywhere from 4 inches to up to 2 feet total. Hate to put a damper on tonight's game.

I've seen anywhere from 4 inches to up to 2 feet total. Hate to put a damper on tonight's game.
Looks like the fun starts this afternoon. I think most of it is supposed to happen tonight. Looks like the ride home will be harder than the ride in but the ride to work tomorrow is going to be the most interesting.

Yes, the snow is supposed to pick up tonight. That’s okay for me, since I am less than 3 miles from the Dome. But it is not going to be good for those who have to drive, especially on the highways.

Now here’s my sidebar rant: what the hell is up with these 8 p.m. games??? Do we have 3 or 4 of them? This is the fault of the ACC, right? You have an 8 p.m. game on a weeknight, snow or no snow, and it is going to affect attendance. Makes me so mad!

Now back to our regularly scheduled snow complaining.

Yes, the snow is supposed to pick up tonight. That’s okay for me, since I am less than 3 miles from the Dome. But it is not going to be good for those who have to drive, especially on the highways.

Now here’s my sidebar rant: what the hell is up with these 8 p.m. games??? Do we have 3 or 4 of them? This is the fault of the ACC, right? You have an 8 p.m. game on a weeknight, snow or no snow, and it is going to affect attendance. Makes me so mad!

Now back to our regularly scheduled snow complaining.
I hate the 8 pm games too.

The good news is that with the advent of the ACC Network, the Raycom games will be ending (I think the ACC bought back rights to any content they had post 2018-19).

It is my understanding that the ACC Network will run in the same fashion as the SEC Network. If so, here is what they have been showing on a day by day basis:

Monday: men's hoops game at 7 pm
Tuesday: men's hoops doubleheader at 7 and 9 pm
Wednesday: men's hoops doubleheader at 7 and 9 pm
Thursday: women's basketball doubleheader at 7 and 9 pm
Friday: olympic sports
Saturday: men's hoops games at 1, 3:30, 6 and 8:30 pm
Sunday: women's basketball doubleheader at 1 and 3 pm

That is 4 games a week played starting at 8:30 pm or later.

I don't think this is good news.

I have the good fortune of driving from Rochester to Erie, PA tomorrow morning. That'll be fun.
Good luck! I commuted weekly to Erie from Rochester for about three years. Lots of white-knuckle trips!

Well, lake effect bands are about as fickle as SU fans, especially the casual ones. So, who knows how much snow will hit, or how many of those casuals will hit the Dome tonight. :)

This casual fan from the Southern Tier will be there.

Worst weather I can recall was for a St. John's game back in the 80's. Took 4 1/2 hours to drive home in an ice storm with dozens of cars off the road on 81-S. By the time we got home my wiper blades looked like spaghetti. After a 90 minute drive to get from the Dome to the Tully exit we almost got off the road and stayed at the Best Western but my colleague said "I am not spending a Saturday night of my life in Tully, N.Y!"

This casual fan from the Southern Tier will be there.

Worst weather I can recall was for a St. John's game back in the 80's. Took 4 1/2 hours to drive home in an ice storm with dozens of cars off the road on 81-S. By the time we got home my wiper blades looked like spaghetti. After a 90 minute drive to get from the Dome to the Tully exit we almost got off the road and stayed at the Best Western but my colleague said "I am not spending a Saturday night of my life in Tully, N.Y!"

I agree

lafayette_tradition_since_1960.jpg

You know this winter has been quiet when we're getting worked up over 5-10" over a 36 hour period.

yeah ever since that awful weather in mid November and frigid cold around thanksgiving at has been really rather mild but I am sure it's coming, usually whenever I am travelling out of town whether it be driving or flying

yeah ever since that awful weather in mid November and frigid cold around thanksgiving at has been really rather mild
Yep winter should've been flagged for an offsides in November.

I had planned on making the drive from north of Scranton, PA but the snow definitely has me nervous. The drive up appears to be rather headache free but the journey home could be a completely different story. I have until a little before 5 to make a final decision. Thankfully this is only the start of conference play...

I personally don't mind the 8 PM starts. With a 2 hour commute to the dome the later starts give me a little extra time during rush hour to make it up. I'm getting home late either way. The later it is the fewer cars/trucks which means smoother sailing on 81...

Last edited:
Heavy snow, winds could make tough driving tonight in Central NY

Snow could fall at a rate of 1 to 2 inches an hour, the weather service said in a briefing released this afternoon. The heaviest snow is expected from 7 tonight until 7 a.m. Thursday.
The combination of heavy snow and wind gusts of 30 mph or more could make driving treacherous.
I feel I made the right decision so for those of you hardy souls going you need to be extra loud in my absence. I want to hear you on TV. You all need to BE LOUD, BE PROUD AND BE ORANGE!!!

be_orange.jpg

From the NWS...

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow and blowing snow expected. Total snow accumulations 5 to 10 inches, with local amounts up to 12 inches expected. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph will cause areas of blowing and drifting snow. Snowfall rates up to 1.5 inches per hour at times tonight, then less than 1 inch per hour
on Thursday.

* WHERE...Onondaga, Madison and Southern Cayuga counties.

I miss the days of a good snow in upstate NY. I don't miss the drivers in it though.

I opted to stay home and watch it on TV. By 10-10:30 it might be really sketchy. Especially for my FWD S60. Plus, Temple hosts #15 tonight as well. I'll be up for either the Miami or FSU game. Maybe both...

For those that make it, be safe!!

I stayed home as well. Be safe everyone

I feel I made the right decision so for those of you hardy souls going you need to be extra loud in my absence. I want to hear you on TV. You all need to BE LOUD, BE PROUD AND BE ORANGE!!!

be_orange.jpg
Okay, but I don’t want to get no sass if we don’t meet your expectations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom