Any word on MCW's ankle? | Syracusefan.com

Any word on MCW's ankle?

alibrat66

2nd String
He was noticeably limping walking out the tunnel after the L'ville game. I hope he's 100%. If so, I think he's going to have a strong tournament.

I also hope the guys are not taking Montana too lightly. Based on some of the posts I've read here, the Cuse are going to demolish the Griz. It would be nice, but I think that's a bit of hyperbole. Montana is a good team, one that can light it up from three. MCW, Triche, Cooney, and the wings need to get out on the shooters, or it could be a long night for us Cuse fans. Plus, we need to establish the heretofore largely absent inside game. Time for RAK and Baye to shine.

Go Cuse. Absolutely nothing like March Madness. And, Manley, think of me when you're eating at Original Joe's.

Based on some of the posts I've read here, the Cuse are going to demolish the Griz. It would be nice, but I think that's a bit of hyperbole.s.

Cuse is favored by 14. So, yes, the "demolish" camp may be hyperbolizing, but the "we need to really worry about Montana" camp is similarly hyperbolic.

I thinkk you always need to worry in the NCAAs but this is the type of team that doesn't generally give us trouble. Sure, they can shoot, but the zone tends to neutralize that, especially when they don't have to worry about an inside threat. Moreso, I believe it sounds like defense is somewhat optional for them and rebounding is nonexistent so it reminds me somewhat of a Seton Hall type team. Not takingthem lightly, just trying to make logical comparisons.

He was noticeably limping walking out the tunnel after the L'ville game. I hope he's 100%. If so, I think he's going to have a strong tournament.

I also hope the guys are not taking Montana too lightly. Based on some of the posts I've read here, the Cuse are going to demolish the Griz. It would be nice, but I think that's a bit of hyperbole. Montana is a good team, one that can light it up from three. MCW, Triche, Cooney, and the wings need to get out on the shooters, or it could be a long night for us Cuse fans. Plus, we need to establish the heretofore largely absent inside game. Time for RAK and Baye to shine.

Go Cuse. Absolutely nothing like March Madness. And, Manley, think of me when you're eating at Original Joe's.

"...a long night for us Cuse fans."

I guess you'll be watching it over an early breakfast.

There are probably a couple of tattoos on his ankles, but not sure if they have words.

Tom, I've been sitting at the Joe's counter for 40 years, best seat in the house. I'm thinking of a between-games veal milanese with a side of spaghetti. Would be a whole lot of fun if you were here.

You expect injury info from the SU AD? The last word was that Arinze will be fine. JB guards that info tighter than his bank account.

I don't think our players will be taking anyone lightly given they have only handily beaten 3 teams since the New Year and I think Montana would beat Rutgers, DePaul, and possibly Providence.

I don't think our players will be taking anyone lightly given they have only handily beaten 3 teams since the New Year and I think Montana would beat Rutgers, DePaul, and possibly Providence.

Montana would not beat Providence.

If we don't pound Minnesotta, something is seriously wrong.

They can shoot for sure. However, they are slow, and have very slow releases. Watch some highlights.

If our decorated and much adulated guards do not cover every shot, it will be because they are not trying hard enough.

There should be no bet hedging on this game.

He came right back in the game. I was watching with an orthopedic surgeon who said it was a sprain right away, and nothing to worry about. He had just sprained it, and then played on it, so of course he would have a limp. Now he has had several days of treatment, and less stress on it. So probably ok unless he turns it again.

They can shoot for sure. However, they are slow, and have very slow releases. Watch some highlights.

If our decorated and much adulated guards do not cover every shot, it will be because they are not trying hard enough.

I agree. This should be a mismatch big time

We should also do the same to Montana ;)

If we lose there is something seriously wrong.
If we win I believe we might get another game and still be in it. I'll check on this and get back to you.

Seriously, thanks for the scout report. I don't watch anyone but SU so I have no idea what others bring to the table. To much else to do out of doors here in southern Gulf Coast Florida.

If we lose there is something seriously wrong.
If we win I believe we might get another game and still be in it. I'll check on this and get back to you.

Seriously, thanks for the report. I don't watch anyone but SU so I have no idea what others bring to the table. To much else to do out of doors here in southern Gulf Coast Florida.

Watch the replay on ESPN3 of the Montana-Weber State Tournament championship game last weekend. Montana is a competent team with some very good players. Their guard Cherry is excellent. They play deliberately and smartly. They will give us a run for our money- particularly if if we're over-confident. In 40 minutes anything can happen as we saw in past years when we lost in early rounds to Richmond and Vermont. If their outside shooting is on and ours is off, we could be in for a long night. Additionally, their guard Cherry is an excellent penetrator. Although we have much better height, our centers haven't distinguished themselves offensively and may not be able to exploit a height advantage by having a strong inside game.

Watch the replay on ESPN3 of the Montana-Weber State Tournament championship game last weekend. Montana is a competent team with some very good players. Their guard Cherry is excellent. They play deliberately and smartly. They will give us a run for our money- particularly if if we're over-confident. In 40 minutes anything can happen as we saw in past years when we lost in early rounds to Richmond and Vermont. If their outside shooting is on and ours is off, we could be in for a long night. Additionally, their guard Cherry is an excellent penetrator. Although we have much better height, our centers haven't distinguished themselves offensively and may not be able to exploit a height advantage by having a strong inside game.

I watched the game on replay on Sunday night and then posted an assessment.

--Big Sky Conference teams are 4-28 (12.5% winning percentage) in the NCAA first round (Round of 64) game since 1981. And the conference is 4-32 overall (11% winning percentage) because the 4 upset winners obviously lost their second game. So this is not a conference with a great upset pedigree, unlike leagues such as the MVC, CAA, Horizon, MAC etc.

--Montana’s strength of schedule is #275. The Grizzlies went 20-1 in conference play, but 18 of those games were against teams with RPIs between #229 and #339.

--Montana played 2 games this year against programs that I would call major programs or close to it. The Grizzlies lost by 7 at Colorado State (an NCAA Tourney team), and by 25 at BYU (an NIT team).

--Montana not only struggles with rebounding inside but they also have a tough time stopping dribble penetration. Weber was killing them off the bounce in the first half, getting layups or trips to the foul line. The Grizzlies got into foul trouble real quick. They eventually were forced to go with a 2-3 zone and it worked well enough to get them through. MCW and Triche need to attack off the bounce big time.

--#5 Will Cherry and #32 Kareem Jamar are everything to this team now and need to be on the floor. These 2 good athletes are really the only guys that can create their own offense and set up their teammates with scoring opportunities. Cherry, a senior point guard, is one of the greatest players in Montana history, people around the program say. And the junior Jamar, who plays a point-forward kind of role is right there with him. These two work very well together and take turns setting up the offense. In the Big Sky, Jamar is able to score down on the blocks by posting up smaller, weaker guards. This aspect of his game I would expect we’d be able to take away. #20 Keron Deshields is being groomed to be like Cherry & Jamar for next year’s team when Cherry departs. He contributes 7 points a game off the bench and can create off the bounce.

--The loss of #40 Mathias Ward, starting PF, was very damaging to Montana’s ability to compete with a power-conference team. Ward was the leading scorer & was their one low-post scorer. Opponents had to respect him because he could also step out and hit threes. And Ward was the one guy who could defend a power-conference big. He looked like a Grizzlie with his beard and played with passion and heart. He was their Taylor Coppenrath. Huge loss. The Grizz were able to sneak out the Big Sky title without Ward because it’s a weak league and they played at home. But against a BCS team, forget about it.

--This Grizz team can make threes. They find the open man and have 5 or 6 guys who can hit. #10 Jordan Gregory, Soph., is their best percentage shooter. He’s a smallish, frail looking 2-guard that entered the starting lineup after the power forward Ward got hurt. And Jamar shifted from 2G to SF, and #24 Spencer Coleman shifted from SF to PF. Anyway, Gregory has a very nice shot and shoots over 40 percent from trey-land.

--#33 Michael Weisner is Montana’s version of Luke Hancock. He’s a 6’6 SF/PF that comes off the bench and hits dagger threes. He’s good at finding the open spot on the floor and can pass it if the defender rushes at him.

--Montana’s two centers, #45 Eric Hutchison, the starter, and #41 Eric Martin, the backup, are total stiffs. They don’t really score or rebound. They just foul people, especially quicker, more athletic players.

--I expect Montana to start the game with the 2-3 zone from the beginning. They prefer man to man defense, but zone is the only way for them to try to compete against us or any BCS team for that matter.

--Bottom line: Unless Montana hits like 12-14 threes I don’t see a way they can stay in this game against us. We should be able to get what we want inside, get to the line, and put them into major foul trouble fast. If Cherry or Jamar have to sit because of fouls, look out. I actually think 16 seed UNC Asheville last year presented us with more danger than this Grizz team does because of that Atkinson guy they had inside. And that was a 1-16 contest instead of a 4-13.