Anybody else feel tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anybody else feel tonight

I'm gonna watch tonight. More out of obligation than joy. I'd feel guilty missing a Syracuse/Duke game. Hope they win and/or keep it close. Feeling kinda meh about Cuse hoops.

That the team keeps the game close until the very end. I haven't watched much Duke basketball this season. But I don't believe their defense is going to be giving us fits like the G Tech rotating zone we've never seen before.
Duke can't shoot from outside but they could score a lot inside and kill us on the glass. I think it will be competitive. We need BS to play like he did against Clemson.

Duke has been held under 80 just twice this year, Auburn (78) and Texas Tech (69). The fewest points Duke has scored in a home game this year? 84 to Eastern Michigan and Hartford.

Syracuse has scored over 80 just thrice this year, Morehead State (84), Arkansas State (82), St. Bonaventure (81).

It is going to take a herculean defensive effort and offensive production Syracuse hasn't shown against a P5 opponent this year to do it. Oh yea and do it on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country.

Duke has been held under 80 just twice this year, Auburn (78) and Texas Tech (69). The fewest points Duke has scored in a home game this year? 84 to Eastern Michigan and Hartford.

Syracuse has scored over 80 just thrice this year, Morehead State (84), Arkansas State (82), St. Bonaventure (81).

It is going to take a herculean defensive effort and offensive production Syracuse hasn't shown against a P5 opponent this year to do it. Oh yea and do it on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country.

I think we have a somewhat decent chance to hold them under 80, but it more has to do with our horrifically slow pace of play and lack of an offensive gameplan than it does with anything else. Even so, it probably still results in a double digit loss.

I want to win this game but I think its
Duke 85 Syracuse 62

Maybe unpopular but I feel like JB has lost the team. You can see it in their effort and in their interactions with him. It will be real easy to see if they mailed it in tonight.

Yeah, most seasons our defense is capable enough to slow the game down to a crawl, and maybe make a run. I'm not sure that's who we are this year - defense is too weak. We may make a game of it for like 10 minutes. I'd be surprised if it's much more than that. Who knows though. LGO!

I think we’re gonna get raced tbh.

If GA Tech did what they did to us in the dome, I think Duke will do all that and more at cameron, sadly...

Door+Blow.gif

Last edited:
I think this is a horrible bounce-back type of game -- especially @ Duke.

I like what you're suggesting, but Saturday's second half performance was abysmal -- seemed like we quit. I'd like to think that our players would show some pride / fight, but after that second half... I don't know. I don't expect us to rise to the occasion tonight, but I hope you are right.

Yes, I think team looked very lethargic. Even putting on the press did not seem to help the overall energy level.

Forget all the debate about the Zone and the O schemes, the coach is responsible for making sure they play (good or bad) with high energy every single game. When the coach can't get that done, it is time to move on.

I am not saying Jimmy should have to go based upon one game, but I dare say that is not the first time that has happened this season, and I doubt it will be the last.

If GA Tech did what they did to us in the dome, I think Duke will do all that and more at cameron, sadly...

Door+Blow.gif
If Tech did that at the Dome, is it possible for us to do that at C.I.

I’ve seen about 7 or 8 Duke games this year. They just have way more talent, speed, strength, and explosiveness than SU. The only way we keep this close is if it turns into the Mich St game of last year where we just completely pack it in and they shoot 20% or lower from 3. But I think that’s unlikely because 1) their PG Tre Jones is pretty good at running an offense and getting the right players into the right spots for shooting, and 2) if they kill us with offensive rebounds it will hurt us more than Mich St because their guys are athletic enough to go back up for putbacks unlike the Spartan players who mainly turned around and sent the ball back up top for resets.

I just want to preemptively say that even if we shock the world tonight and win this game, there are still things that are fundamentally broken with our program. One game wouldn't somehow erase our 5 years of mediocrity.

Duke isn’t a great 3 point shooting team. If we can pack it in and force them to shoot 3’s anything can happen. We need to muddy the game up. Don’t think it will happen, but a close game isn’t unrealistic.
Like the term "muddy'" drive, draw fouls like 40 attempts and make them, they can leave NO points at the line in a game like this, stick a few 3's and see what happens.
I never go into a game thinking they can't win, you would think after Saturday that they have no chance, but that's why you play, and maybe, just maybe those young guns will struggle against the zone.

Pack the zone like never before and send all 5 guys to every board. We need duke to take as many 3s as possible

Like the term "muddy'" drive, draw fouls like 40 attempts and make them, they can leave NO points at the line in a game like this, stick a few 3's and see what happens.
I never go into a game thinking they can't win, you would think after Saturday that they have no chance, but that's why you play, and maybe, just maybe those young guns will struggle against the zone.

Does anyone honestly want to see muddy games anymore? I don't. They're too predictable, and not
fun to watch. You know, go score 84, you lose cuz you give up 90, ok, but at least you're fun to watch
and make for a good game. Who likes going into a game against a team that's scoring 80+ and
basically conceding it, hoping to be within 15... unless you can make the game into garbage. What
a great team to root for. We're hoping for SU to force a team to shoot 25% to even be competitive?
Sad.

Kev

Duke is going to kill us in the paint. I feel bad for our centers.

White will kill us from the corner. He’s very underrated. Barnett and Redish made several threes against FSU. They are taller than any of our wings and will shoot over us. Williamson will get the ball in the high post and just drive it to to basket. He will foul out our entire front line. Jones will drive Howard, Battle and Carey crazy all night. If this isn’t a blow out I will be shocked. This team has not shown the ability to make plays or make each other better.
The only thing I think you missed in your putdown is Coach K thumbing his nose at JB.

I hope you don't get too upset if some or all of those things don't come true.

I got Duke by 35. We can't score with them or even near them.

I’ve seen about 7 or 8 Duke games this year. They just have way more talent, speed, strength, and explosiveness than SU. The only way we keep this close is if it turns into the Mich St game of last year where we just completely pack it in and they shoot 20% or lower from 3. But I think that’s unlikely because 1) their PG Tre Jones is pretty good at running an offense and getting the right players into the right spots for shooting, and 2) if they kill us with offensive rebounds it will hurt us more than Mich St because their guys are athletic enough to go back up for putbacks unlike the Spartan players who mainly turned around and sent the ball back up top for resets.[/QUOTE
Agree about Tre Jones. If we can somehow make life difficult for him, it will make a huge difference in the game.
People love to talk about the big three at Duke but they need Tre to make them what they are.