Anybody else feel tonight | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anybody else feel tonight

You’re a sage
Happy to be really wrong. Helped that Duke was missing two starters basically the whole game. Jones leaving threw my prediction out. Dude is a game changer.

That the team keeps the game close until the very end. I haven't watched much Duke basketball this season. But I don't believe their defense is going to be giving us fits like the G Tech rotating zone we've never seen before.
Anybody else feel like this thread aged well? For me?

Anybody else feel like this thread aged well? For me?

Mea culpa -- I didn't see this type of performance coming in a million years.

Huge win, no matter what the circumstances [no doubt, our cause was aided by Jones getting injured / Reddish missing the game], but nobody is going to remember that on selection sunday. Just a massively bad ass performance by our kids.

Lot of posts that didn't age well, but most were fairly reasonable. The stars aligned and we outworked the Duke squad. And Frank is tougher than their guy.

It'd sound stupid for me to say that Boeheim's better than K...but I usually feel good about our chances with Duke. Just like I don't want to see Boeheim coach against Dixon or Pitino, for whatever reason he seems to have an advantage against Duke's coaching staff. They always have more talent and we usually give them a game.

Helps that Hughes dropped in an absolute prayer, though.

It'd sound stupid for me to say that Boeheim's better than K...but I usually feel good about our chances with Duke. Just like I don't want to see Boeheim coach against Dixon or Pitino, for whatever reason he seems to have an advantage against Duke's coaching staff. They always have more talent and we usually give them a game.

Helps that Hughes dropped in an absolute prayer, though.
Match-ups matter in sports.

For some reason, we seem to match up better with Duke than we do against, say, North Carolina. I think that the main reason is that Duke isn't a physical defensive team -- they're kind of a finesse team, which is why our games against them are higher scoring than how we typically perform. Not that they don't play hard, just that they aren't one of those physical goon it up squads that we typically struggle with.

Match-ups matter in sports.

For some reason, we seem to match up better with Duke than we do against, say, North Carolina. I think that the main reason is that Duke isn't a physical defensive team -- they're kind of a finesse team, which is why our games against them are higher scoring than how we typically perform. Not that they don't play hard, just that they aren't one of those physical goon it up squads that we typically struggle with.

Agree, and this is funny, because that's exactly how I'd characterize North Carolina. And I always predict that we'll beat them, because Boeheim > Roy, and the finesse game should play to our strengths.

But they've clobbered us for five straight years. I guess that's got to do with a) tremendously skilled big men, and b) solid half-court scheme and excellent ball movement.

I am still stunned by that performance. Duh-k missed Jones and Reddish. But I couldn't believe that we could match them point for point. They score in bunches and have talent all over the court. We just wouldn't quit. Tyus and Frank - the OTHER PG who was recovering from his OWN INJURY - took over the game, and without Chukwu we come out of Cameron with a W. I was stinging from the G-T game and refused to watch, didn't tape the game, etc. And then ... I watched. Glad I did. Wow.

Duke jacked up 43 3s last night! 43!!! And they are not a good outside shooting team by any measure. The Zone D worked as well as we could have hoped last night!

And I also think it goes to show you that well-coached teams (because I don't think any posters would argue that Coach K is anything other than a great coach) will sometimes be stymied/frustrated by an opponent's defense and will take bad shots that they are probably coached not to take. It helps put some of our miserable performances (especially the Ga Tech game) into perspective, in my humble opinion.