Anybody excited about the Champions League Final on Saturday ?? | Syracusefan.com

Anybody excited about the Champions League Final on Saturday ??

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Liverpool's exciting attacking trio under Coach Jurgen Klopp vs. two-time defending champ Real Madrid, with Cristiano Ronaldo getting toward the end of his time at the very top. Should be an exciting, goal filled game.

Which strike trio will win the Champions League?

I’m so sick of Real Madrid. My Bayern boys completely blew the semis with Rafinha gifting them a goal in the first leg and Ulreich gifting them a goal in the second leg. I like Liverpool’s chances. It’s crazy to watch Ronaldo now because his entire game plan was to cherry pick and try to break the offside trap. He almost never attacks people or drops back into midfield to pick up possession. That said, Real Madrid’s experience and ability to get the most out of every decision from the referee will be tough to overcome.

I’m so sick of Real Madrid. My Bayern boys completely blew the semis with Rafinha gifting them a goal in the first leg and Ulreich gifting them a goal in the second leg. I like Liverpool’s chances. It’s crazy to watch Ronaldo now because his entire game plan was to cherry pick and try to break the offside trap. He almost never attacks people or drops back into midfield to pick up possession. That said, Real Madrid’s experience and ability to get the most out of every decision from the referee will be tough to overcome.

People forget, but Real Madrid didn't get past the Round of 16 for many years before Mourinho took over back in 2011, when they reeled off 3 straight semifinal appearances, but couldn't get over the hump. Once Ancelotti took over, he delivered the 10th, and now they are looking for their 4th in 5 years.

I'm sick of the preferential treatment that the Spanish super teams get, but I think Barcelona is the "Duke" of European soccer - they get the most calls by a wide margin. RM and Ronaldo get more than their fair share, too, but I think the luster is off "BBC" - two of whom might not even play.

I think the key is whether Mo Salah (former Chelsea boy) consistently gets behind Marcelo, and finds himself in one-on-one's with Sergio Ramos on the counter-attack. Ramos has had so many red cards over the years.

But on the other end, Ramos is an amazing offensive threat on set pieces, and Liverpool is a bit weak in that area, although big Virgil Van Dijk has helped a lot in that regard. But Ramos is almost more of a big game presence than Ronaldo, who I don't think has hit a free kick in a couple years now. Madrid has so much class in their midfield, though. That's where this game will be won - in midfield, and on the counter.

I'm pulling hard for the Liverpool upset. I will not be shocked. I think they are going to really give Madrid a great game. I would be a lot more worried about the referees if this was a home-and-home tie in the semifinals. It will be hard for RM to get too much of an advantage with the refs in Russia. There won't be the same crowd pressure.

A chance to watch Liverpool lose? I won’t say I’m excited, but I would be happy.

Definitely going out to throw some suds back and watch the match.

This would be a good thread for ImperialOrange .
As he is a diehard Liverpool fan.

The Reds have a great offense but suspect defense. I think they will play a game that appeals to Madrid.
Problem for Liverpool is Madrid has solid defenders. I think Madrid will score 2-3 on Liverpool. The only chance Liverpool has is if Salah just goes crazy and he could.
Salah is probably the only player on Liverpool who could start for Madrid.

People forget, but Real Madrid didn't get past the Round of 16 for many years before Mourinho took over back in 2011, when they reeled off 3 straight semifinal appearances, but couldn't get over the hump. Once Ancelotti took over, he delivered the 10th, and now they are looking for their 4th in 5 years.

I'm sick of the preferential treatment that the Spanish super teams get, but I think Barcelona is the "Duke" of European soccer - they get the most calls by a wide margin. RM and Ronaldo get more than their fair share, too, but I think the luster is off "BBC" - two of whom might not even play.

I think the key is whether Mo Salah (former Chelsea boy) consistently gets behind Marcelo, and finds himself in one-on-one's with Sergio Ramos on the counter-attack. Ramos has had so many red cards over the years.

But on the other end, Ramos is an amazing offensive threat on set pieces, and Liverpool is a bit weak in that area, although big Virgil Van Dijk has helped a lot in that regard. But Ramos is almost more of a big game presence than Ronaldo, who I don't think has hit a free kick in a couple years now. Madrid has so much class in their midfield, though. That's where this game will be won - in midfield, and on the counter.

I'm pulling hard for the Liverpool upset. I will not be shocked. I think they are going to really give Madrid a great game. I would be a lot more worried about the referees if this was a home-and-home tie in the semifinals. It will be hard for RM to get too much of an advantage with the refs in Russia. There won't be the same crowd pressure.
There’s no doubt in my mind that Salah will get behind Marcelo often. Real’s wing play has been suspect and Marcelo is their best provider and might even be their best winger even when he’s called a “defender.” Ramos was immense at the back against Bayern and should neutralize Firmino. If Salah is allowed the space that Bayern had (James bossed the game up front) I can see Liverpool giving them fits. I miss having Klopp in the Bundesliga and I’m pulling for them tomorrow.

I thought Liverpool playing Milner/Hendo/Gigi Wijnaldum would get run over by Roma and I was way wrong. Kroos and Modric will be a totally different beast.

I want to see a different team win, I'm definitely pulling for the Reds. Salah/Mane/Firmino is so entertaining to watch. Plus they have Naby Keita coming in the summer. Watch out for them.

Reds all day. Klopp is master tactician and motivator. Been Liverpool Fan since I was a kid. This probably the biggest game in 15 years. We need this cup

Last edited:
This would be a good thread for ImperialOrange .
As he is a diehard Liverpool fan.

The Reds have a great offense but suspect defense. I think they will play a game that appeals to Madrid.
Problem for Liverpool is Madrid has solid defenders. I think Madrid will score 2-3 on Liverpool. The only chance Liverpool has is if Salah just goes crazy and he could.
Salah is probably the only player on Liverpool who could start for Madrid.

I take your point, although I believe Van Dijk would start for Madrid over Varane, as elegant a player as he is. I think Liverpool's defense improved enormously after they signed him in January.

It hurts that Matip is out (who I think is better than Lovren), plus they have something like 6 other guys who are injured, really sapping their depth. Late in the match is going to be a challenge for Liverpool.

I love that catchy "we got Salah" fan song. soccer fans are the best. original chants, full voice during the game. Atmosphere is always top-notch!

Liverpool 3 Real Madrid 2 is my final prediction.

Klopp with a great pre-match interview. "Nobody expected us to be here, but we are here because we are Liverpool. We are not only a really good football team. This club has it in its DNA that it can really go for the big things. Nobody expected us to be here, but we are here because we are Liverpool."

Would you jump off a bridge for this guy? I'm SO pumped for tomorrow's game!!

Klopp: Reds can bring Real down 'to our level'

looks like a separated shoulder for Salah. Ramos hooked his arm and pulled him down.

looks like a separated shoulder for Salah. Ramos hooked his arm and pulled him down.

Classic move. Freak injury.

Don’t feel bad for Liverpool. However, as a soccer fan, I feel robbed. I wanted to watch the best. Salah is among the best. Hate that he is off. Hope for a dramatic 2nd half.

Really would have enjoyed Salah for 90. Fine with the result. But unjust for us as fans... disappointing.

Got to the Syracuse edition of Wolf's Biergarten at 2:10 pm excited about watching the game with other soccer fans only to discover a full house. Tried Kitty Hoynes and for some odd reason they don't get Fox sports. Oh well, the beer and the Green Spot were good.

Absolutely. Dirty bastard. Should have been a red card for intentionally trying to injure an opponent.
Real was on the ropes early, as Liverpool had 9 shots in the first 30 minutes, before he mugged Salah.

Despite the fact that the last hour should have been 11 v 10, if it weren't for those 2 mistakes from Karius, this still goes to extra time.
Bale's kick was brilliant, in perhaps his final game for them.

Liverpool had enough to overcome one goal keeping error, but not two.

Klopp is building a terrific team. Naby Keita is already signed, and will be their N'Golo Kante. They need a creative midfielder (Seri?), a winger and another centerback.

Well, and a goal keeper, of course.

Ramos is a scumbag.
He hooked Salah as you said and he elbowed the Liverpool keeper and got away with it.
Dbag moves.

I hope Ronaldo forces a transfer and Madrid take a hit.

Ramos is a scumbag.
He hooked Salah as you said and he elbowed the Liverpool keeper and got away with it.
Dbag moves.

I hope Ronaldo forces a transfer and Madrid take a hit.
This happens every game in every professional league... just stop it. Freak occurrence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom