Anybody still disagree that Jerami Grant | Syracusefan.com

Anybody still disagree that Jerami Grant

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
equals a young John Wallace now? He had a great game last night. Asserted himself like never before. Rak did a great job generating offense inside, too. If those 2 guys can begin to produce like that on a regular basis, and there still might be life past the opening weekend for these guys after all !

Great, great win last night.

equals a young John Wallace now? He had a great game last night. Asserted himself like never before. Rak did a great job generating offense inside, too. If those 2 guys can begin to produce like that on a regular basis, and there still might be life past the opening weekend for these guys after all !

Great, great win last night.
Did anyone else watching the game on ESPN notice the shot of JS on the bench about 2-3 minutes left in the first half after Jerami made his fourth basket? He looked totally crestfallen, almost acknowleging he won't get as many minutes if he does come back.

Folks, John Wallace was an all-timer that carried the program to a Final Four when it should have been crippled.

I like Grant a lot and am really excited about his future, but let the guy accomplish a little more than being named a starter by circumstance and playing pretty well against a couple of Big East teams.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Did anyone else watching the game on ESPN notice the shot of JS on the bench about 2-3 minutes left in the first half after Jerami made his fourth basket? He looked totally crestfallen, almost acknowleging he won't get as many minutes if he does come back.

There will be plenty of time for JS. Have you seen our outside shooting?

You are completely misreading whatever you saw. I can't imagine any player would be thinking that, in the moment in a back and forth dog fight game with a conference opponent. Secondly, I suspect Dirty would be happy if he gets the opportunity to play again and probably isn't even thinking about role or number of minutes at the moment. Third, it is clear that we need the threat of his outside shooting in the lineup. If he returns I think there will be a relatively even rotation among CJ (30), Dirty (30) and Grant (25) with minutes rising or falling depending on opponent and who is bringing it that night. If anything Grant's emergence will relegate Xmas entirely to the 5 even upon Coleman's return which was really happening in any case.

Given his athleticism and potential there is a possibility that Grant is the one to leave after this season, not DC2 nor Rak.

I didn't see it but JS will get plenty of minutes if he comes back. We need his shooting. And as good as Grant has been, JS provides a key component that we are missing. Just look how much trouble we've had scoring since JS went out. Teams don't respect anyone on our team from outside except for JS and it shows.

Now granted, JS won't be playing 37 minutes a game. It will also be nice for CJ not to have to play 40 minutes every night. Oh and then there's the foul situation. See Nova. I see it something like this if JS comes back.

CJ - 33 minutes
JS - 30 minutes
JG - 17 minutes

It could also evolve into the situation we saw last year with Scoop, Dion and BT where JB will just play the 2 that are going better that game. Although I think CJ will more than likely always get his minutes

Given his athleticism and potential there is a possibility that Grant is the one to leave after this season, not DC2 nor Rak.
Unfortunately you are correct. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but it would be just one more side effect of the Dirty situation

Unfortunately you are correct. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but it would be just one more side effect of the Dirty situation

He has no ceiling... but its going to take more than a career high of 14 to make the jump.

I would be shocked if he went after this year... SHOCKED.

but I think any of our good '4 year player' delusions have been shattered.

You can put a big IF next to Xmas. If he would just continue to show this from game to game it would be nice, but having a game like this then pulling no-shows isn't good.

Grant has another season to rocket himself up the draft boards...he will getting a lot of pt next year...he stays.

I have never seen someone step on campus with athleticism like this since Stevie. But I think Jerami's gifts are much greater than his...

Lets just enjoy him this year and next...because he will be gone daddy gone with his pedigree and talent.

I have never seen someone step on campus with athleticism like this since Stevie. But I think Jerami's gifts are much greater than his...

Lets just enjoy him this year and next...because he will be gone daddy gone with his pedigree and talent.

Hakim Warrick comes to mind

Reactions: MCC
Don't go overboard! The kid had a nothing game just 2 days ago. Yeah, he looked good and I would love to see that every game but it isn't going to happen yet. Did you see/hear how he has a ways to go to fully understand on to play JB's defense?

Folks, John Wallace was an all-timer that carried the program to a Final Four when it should have been crippled.

I like Grant a lot and am really excited about his future, but let the guy accomplish a little more than being named a starter by circumstance and playing pretty well against a couple of Big East teams.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Meh. I'm not a fan of hyperbolic comparisons myself but honestly, does it have to be sacrilegious draw a comparison to JW? I know we all have a soft spot for that team but really, Cippola making a shot against an 8seed is the difference between a career underachiever and an untouchable God.

Meh. I'm not a fan of hyperbolic comparisons myself but honestly, does it have to be sacrilegious draw a comparison to JW? I know we all have a soft spot for that team but really, Cippola making a shot against an 8seed is the difference between a career underachiever and an untouchable God.

I agree with your point... to an extent.

But Wallace's game vs UGA was the stuff of legend. You can't say he is a Cippola jump shot away from being a career underachiever, because he was so good in that game. He played the last 15 minutes with 4 fouls and hit the game winner.

30 and 15 with the game winner and an amazing pass on the cipolla shot.

Hakim Warrick comes to mind
I think he has a bit more agility than Hakim. Length and hops are certainly comparable. It'll be interesting to see how he fills out over the next year or two.

I agree with your point... to an extent.

But Wallace's game vs UGA was the stuff of legend. You can't say he is a Cippola jump shot away from being a career underachiever, because he was so good in that game. He played the last 15 minutes with 4 fouls and hit the game winner.

30 and 15 with the game winner and an amazing pass on the cipolla shot.

I'm not saying it would be a fair label, but rather that's just what it would be because that's the way fans are. Nobody would care about a good game or a great pass or a heroic OT (that never would've happened). They would talk about "how were we a 7 seed in '95"? So instead of getting a raw deal with his legacy he gets a little too much credit for a favorable draw his Sr. year, imo. Good for him, seems like a good guy but yeesh, some folks 'round here act like he's Melo or Sherm.

Wallace wasn't at any point ever a career underachiever. Your response has me stumped a little bit.

I'm not saying it would be a fair label, but rather that's just what it would be because that's the way fans are. Nobody would care about a good game or a great pass or a heroic OT (that never would've happened). They would talk about "how were we a 7 seed in '95"? So instead of getting a raw deal with his legacy he gets a little too much credit for a favorable draw his Sr. year, imo. Good for him, seems like a good guy but yeesh, some folks 'round here act like he's Melo or Sherm.

Sherm may not be the best example... preseason #1 twice in his career. loads of talent on his teams.

runner up
2nd round
elite 8
sweet 16

wallace:
probation
sweet 16
2nd round
runner up

Quick stats (math might be bad) on Grant in the BE:

7.1 points per game
4.3 rebounds per game
.67 blocks per game
45% from the floor, 50% on threes (1 for 2), 76% FT shooting
.56 steals per game
.56 assists per game
24.8 minutes a game (but he's gone the distance the last too)

I don't know how you want to interpret those. To me he's a good college player that's better than Fair and Joseph were as a freshman, but not better than DG if we're looking at recent guys.

Just look how much trouble we've had scoring since JS went out. Teams don't respect anyone on our team from outside except for JS and it shows.

you don't think that has anything to do with the teams we are playing?