Anybody still disagree that Jerami Grant | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anybody still disagree that Jerami Grant

Grant isn't a senior yet. He's a freshman. And if you look at his game, he has all the same tools Wallace had. As a frosh, John was still skinny and got pushed around a bit. We needed him more than we needed Grant (until recently). John was good for 11 points and 7 rebounds as a frosh.

What we saw from Grant last night is the kind of contributions we got from the young John Wallace - at least in my opinion. I see a lot of Wallace's game in the young Mr. Grant. Give him time; he will be a terrific player for us.
I don't really see it. The guy I see is a young Harvey Grant. Jerami really plays just like him (though not as good yet...but Harvey was 3 years older by the time he got to Oklahoma)

The big difference with Wallace is he had a post game, even as a freshman, and was just overall a much more polished offensive player. And a big man with a post game that demands a double team is pretty much the rarest thing in college ball...most guys with that skill are in the NBA pretty quickly or are Craig Smith types (6'5 power forwards).

I have never seen someone step on campus with athleticism like this since Stevie. But I think Jerami's gifts are much greater than his...

Lets just enjoy him this year and next...because he will be gone daddy gone with his pedigree and talent.
DC was as athletic as you want, he played center his junior year , and blocked 127 shots. He also made John Thompsons press go away, because he could break the press by dribbling or throwing a fullcourt pass over the top.

Patently false. The JW you remember is senior year JW. Freshman year JW had less than or, if anything, equal ball-handling skills to freshman year JG.
Tough who to compare JG with . Not JW, Terence Roberts maybe, but better. A tall Stevie Thompson? A fleeting thought made me think Raf Addison freshman year, before he found out he had a jump shot vs Georgetown. Makes me think JG is one of a kind. Right now he is a springy kid who freelances , the best part is he usually plays smart. CJ is easier to compate to former players. Moten really come to mind. Maybe even Erich Santifer going back a ways.

Patently false. The JW you remember is senior year JW. Freshman year JW had less than or, if anything, equal ball-handling skills to freshman year JG.

The first time I saw J-Dub he did a behind the back dribble and went up for a jump shot and swished it easily. The guy next to me looked back at me and rolled his eyes. This guy had the goods.

Real - why assume the worst? By all previous signs, JS has been a stand up team mate. It seems out of character for him to wish any ill will towards JG.

If I were guessing why he looked crestfallen, I would guess he heard some of those boos from the student section. That would hurt the JS that I have read about.

Was at a party on south campus a few years ago and mookie, dashonte riley, and southerland were there. James started dougieing at the party. I was slammed and loved it.

I will get shot and ridiculed for this, but I see a poor mans DC in him. Not as tall and maybe not as talented, but he brings quite a few of the same skill-sets regarding rebounding, shot blocking, and a nice ability to put the ball on the floor a little and hit a 15 footer for you as we'll. I think he's DARN good. With some more strength and confidence watch out.

Now he's not as good as DC was by any stretch if the imagination but he has some of the same skills.

Get back to me when football players cross the other side of Marshall St to avoid Grant. Until then, stop being silly. DC set the record for rebounds and was the number one pick. Got 18 rebounds in the NC game. etc.

Tough who to compare JG with . Not JW, Terence Roberts maybe, but better. A tall Stevie Thompson? A fleeting thought made me think Raf Addison freshman year, before he found out he had a jump shot vs Georgetown. Makes me think JG is one of a kind. Right now he is a springy kid who freelances , the best part is he usually plays smart. CJ is easier to compate to former players. Moten really come to mind. Maybe even Erich Santifer going back a ways.

Grant is closer to Moten than Fair is.

Each is smart, slasher, scores well in traffic, surprisingly good rebounder for his build. Same smooth style of play, same instant offense capability.

Wendell Alexis?

Grant is closer to Moten than Fair is.

Each is smart, slasher, scores well in traffic, surprisingly good rebounder for his build. Same smooth style of play, same instant offense capability.

Moten's offensive game was built working the baseline. Grant plays offensively more from the key area. That's why I would agree with comparing Moten to Fair. Except Fair tends to work from the baseline in toward the middle. Moten used to work baseline to get behind the defense and then come from behind to the rim. Melo used to work the baseline that way, too, on offense.

Moten also had an uncanny knack for finishing. I know JG is still young, but he gets swatted quite often.

Moten's offensive game was built working the baseline. Grant plays offensively more from the key area. That's why I would agree with comparing Moten to Fair. Except Fair tends to work from the baseline in toward the middle. Moten used to work baseline to get behind the defense and then come from behind to the rim. Melo used to work the baseline that way, too, on offense.

Good observation.

I'll be interested to see how Grant plays alongside Southerland; with Fair out of the game, I'd expect to see him operate from the baseline in.

Moten also had an uncanny knack for finishing. I know JG is still young, but he gets swatted quite often.

Yeah, but not as often as most of our freshman. From the first game, I was wildly impressed at how Grant finished among hands at the rim. That's what first put the Moten comparison into my mind (for a 6'5" guy who could barely dunk, he could really finish at the rim).

Both use glass much better than the typical Syracuse player.

Fair is what I call "silky" like Moten was, but CJ does indeed have a more power game out in front of the basket like you describe. Grant is "springier" than either.

Was at a party on south campus a few years ago and mookie, dashonte riley, and southerland were there. James started dougieing at the party. I was slammed and loved it.

That was such a fun party

equals a young John Wallace now? He had a great game last night. Asserted himself like never before. Rak did a great job generating offense inside, too. If those 2 guys can begin to produce like that on a regular basis, and there still might be life past the opening weekend for these guys after all !

Great, great win last night.

Grants having a good stretch but he's no John Wallace and never will be.

Offensively Grant is a slashing small foward. His scoring is largely off the dribble and he's not really a good offensive player in the half court. Has a good handle and is starting to learn how to use it on the drive. Lacks the strength to finish better though. That'll come. His shooting form isn't very good and he'll probably not ever be a 3 point threat. His scoring will always be off the dribble.

Defensively, rebounding etc, I love him, he's a ball energy.

I am elated with his progress but I still see his future as more of a role player. It's going to be very interesting next year with Fair, Grant, Gbinje, Johnson and Roberson.

Wait until Jerami grows into his shoulders. He will be stronger than CJ by next year. The two of them, along with Christmas, will give nightmares to other teams.

Grants having a good stretch but he's no John Wallace and never will be.

Offensively Grant is a slashing small foward. His scoring is largely off the dribble and he's not really a good offensive player in the half court. Has a good handle and is starting to learn how to use it on the drive. Lacks the strength to finish better though. That'll come. His shooting form isn't very good and he'll probably not ever be a 3 point threat. His scoring will always be off the dribble.

Defensively, rebounding etc, I love him, he's a ball energy.

I am elated with his progress but I still see his future as more of a role player. It's going to be very interesting next year with Fair, Grant, Gbinje, Johnson and Roberson.
he improved his FT shooting a lot, no reason he can't improve his jumper