Anyone catch Penny on Undisputed Today? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone catch Penny on Undisputed Today?

He made a great great point about kids these days, recruiting now vs 10+ years ago. He said you can not be stern and rule with an iron fist anymore. It does not work. It will lose your program. Firm but still allow kids to grow and be young men. Said no coach will be successful now coaching and running their program like that.

Very interesting take from one of the better up and coming coaches

WHOOO PENNY.

PENNY is saying this?

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Good job playing the part, man.

Random thoughts...I know there are some really good players now a days but when you watch some highlights from guys like Penny and others back in college it makes you think hmmm...some of these dudes were badass! Show me something recent thats as nice as this? (Maybe Zion?)

Healthy Penny Hardaway was an absolute BEAST!

You don't just rip these kids and tell them they suck. That doesn't work now. Like someone said earlier, Wes Johnson and Hakim Warrick both said on the Devo podcast that JB basically said they were being soft b*itches on the bench during a game. That doesn't work anymore.

Kind of funny. Penny played for Chuck Daly and Scott sklyes not exactly laid back coaches.

He was my favorite player. He could fly AND he was a great point guard.
He was being touted as the 2nd coming of Magic Johnson, for real. Great great player. I wish he could've stayed healthy, who knows how far he'd have gone in his career.

If Penny means that coaches should have institutional control, set rules, have consequences, etc. but not act like theatrical psychos towards players like some do, then I 100% agree with him.

You don't just rip these kids and tell them they suck. That doesn't work now. Like someone said earlier, Wes Johnson and Hakim Warrick both said on the Devo podcast that JB basically said they were being soft b*itches on the bench during a game. That doesn't work anymore.

Ha, I can confirm from my own two ears that he said this to Hakim as late as his senior year.

There's a fine line between challenging a player and demeaning them. That is where the older coaches are starting to be out of touch. What was acceptable 10-15 years ago is not now.
I agree, but that’s where you grab the kid after he kills it out there and you hug him and celebrate his success.

There's a fine line between challenging a player and demeaning them. That is where the older coaches are starting to be out of touch. What was acceptable 10-15 years ago is not now.

I think a big difference is between what he'll say to your face (generally not a problem, within reason) and what he'll say to the press (not so good).

Also, actions mean more, obviously. Talk a lot of noise but give a kid run and generally treat all the kids equally, no problem. Play favorites and jerk around people's minutes...well, we know how that goes.

Wasn’t Boeheim always known as a guy who would let players play?

I know it wasn’t that way for Kadary for a lot of the year but if you’re an anointed one, he does this.

It is the lack of consistency across the way he treats kids that is his biggest problem. Not necessarily ruling with an iron fist. He has never really done that.
I was going to post this same exact thing when I heard what Kadary said to The Athletic. The one thing we've all noted over the past number of years though is how certain guys are restricted from shooting the ball. ( Roberson,etc.). It's always caused some hesitation as we saw from Kadary from time to time. Always thought how tough it is to just play when there is a little Boeheim on your shoulder at the same time you have an open 3.

The part I bolded is the bigger problem. If there's no repercussions at home, why would they behave differently outside the house? If Mommy & Daddy think Jr can do no wrong, it's easy for the child to do what they want with no fear of any consequences.

Overall, I'd say parents these days are afraid to discipline their children, especially in public. 25-30 years ago, (I'm 39), after a warning (sometimes not) my parents would smack me if I was misbehaving or not following directions. You rarely see that these days.

I have 4 kids, ranging from a newborn to an almost 8 y/o, so I see/come in contact with a lot of parents. Some are fantastic, others are pathetic and their children can do no wrong, or "they're just kids being kids." I see the entitlement already in kids that are 10 or 11, and the fearlessness of others that are even younger because they know their parents are soft and won't do anything.
An ass kicking with love did me and my son wonders. If there is no fear of doing wrong then its over. I seen it coaching all the time. I was lucky for most part cause I had went to school with most of the parents and they knew I wasn’t gonna be easy on the kids. If I hear one more time about how they hated me sometimes back then but completely understand now. lol

I was going to post this same exact thing when I heard what Kadary said to The Athletic. The one thing we've all noted over the past number of years though is how certain guys are restricted from shooting the ball. ( Roberson,etc.). It's always caused some hesitation as we saw from Kadary from time to time. Always thought how tough it is to just play when there is a little Boeheim on your shoulder at the same time you have an open 3.

Or Christmas. For 2.5 years, he had a red light for anything other than a dunk. Against BC in 2014 he somehow winds up with the final shot from about 8 feet. He misses and gets thrown under the bus for missing a makeable shot.

There are good shots and bad shots, no doubt. But when kids play with one hand tied behind their back it doesn't help their development. And it doesn't help the offense, either. They should be allowed to use their discretion and then sit if their shot selection warrants it. But no shot restrictions.

...says every generation about every younger generation since the beginning of time.

"Those darn Baby Boomers with their 3 tv stations and record players! We never had that during the Depression!" -Greatest Generation, probably
It's been a progression with every generation. The more privileged we become, the more entitled we become unless there is something we have invested in obtaining that privilege. It just keeps snowballing. We often do not appreciate what we have until it is gone. Some day the reset button will be hit again.

Or Christmas. For 2.5 years, he had a red light for anything other than a dunk. Against BC in 2014 he somehow winds up with the final shot from about 8 feet. He misses and gets thrown under the bus for missing a makeable shot.

There are good shots and bad shots, no doubt. But when kids play with one hand tied behind their back it doesn't help their development. And it doesn't help the offense, either. They should be allowed to use their discretion and then sit if their shot selection warrants it. But no shot restrictions.
Dolezaj was also reluctant this year to take some shots that were available to him and that he had taken in the past.

If I was making a list of the "softest b***hes" in college basketball history, there would be a lot of coaches on that list. Bob Knight probably #1. Nothing softer than having non-stop tantrums over every little thing.

"I didn't get my way so I have to throw this thing for attention!" -Knight/toddlers

Which explains the lack of mental and emotional resilience in recent generations. A little late for "love and logic" by the time they are 17/18 years old. At that age you are starting to learn with expensive lessons.

Didn't Penny bail on coach Pete at Western? He took the house but didn't want to pay the bill.
He actually asked if he could keep the house and his mothers job if he left the school. You can't make this stuff up. I would rather have more Happys in college basketball than this new transfer rule.
1617387077449.png

He actually asked if he could keep the house and his mothers job if he left the school. You can't make this stuff up. I would rather have more Happys in college basketball than this new transfer rule.
View attachment 199271
You will get used to the new rule. In the end, it will work itself out. Look at how much extra interest there is today in college basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom