Anyone else concerned over the lack of WR depth/development | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else concerned over the lack of WR depth/development

It's almost mind boggling, consdiering where the talent level was when Doug took over, that said there is/was a lot of damage that had been done on the recruiting front to overcome. It is still showing up with a half empty dome every Saturday, this doesn't look good at all to recruits. I am sure it isn't easy to recruit at Syracuse at all, fickle fan base, bad conference ( up until now) very mediocre facilities, and a pattern of losing
I hear you, but when it's all said and done we need higher performers than what we have right now. I'm really, really worried that the offense is primed to take a step back from the sub-mediocrity it is now.

I think it's obvious we still need depth at any number of positions - including receiver...

I am starting to wonder if we aren't throwing athletes into positions of need too often and not playing them at their natural position strengths.

Where wide-outs are concerned, both Merkerson and Reddish come to mind... I know we need depth elsewhere too, so we'll have to wonder.

At the end of the day, I still trust the coaches make the best personnel/position decisions for the team, obviously.

It's almost mind boggling, consdiering where the talent level was when Doug took over, that said there is/was a lot of damage that had been done on the recruiting front to overcome.

Yep. We had some talent here but there just wasn't enough of it and we haven't filled in behind it. The most damage done was that first year in NJ. Not sure we have recovered from it yet, but this expansion stuff could help some.

I think this week we will see a lot of different schemes which will include West and Flemming.

First off Id like to note that Lemon and Chew have both been as good as advertised or that any of us could have expected for this year. That being said we are asking them to play nearly every offensive snap through 3 games and this rate I fear both will be burned out by the later part of the schedule.

Whats concerning to me is that there is little to no depth behind them should they need a breather for a series or two or god forbid an injury. Last year all we heard about was how good West looked now the kid cant even get on the field for a handful of plays? Flemmings been a no show as well and we havent run any designed plays for Kobena out of the slot. What about the two freshman? If West and Flemming arent getting it done we need to see if the two freshman can as we are going to need the depth for the BE part of the schedule not to mention next year when we lose Chew. I know some on this board are still high on Graham but he has what 2 catches in three games, can you imagine him as the second receiver if West or Lemon went down? Scary. Provo stepped up last week versus USC but hes injury prone and tends to disappear at times in the passing game. Not to mention that the TE depth behind him isnt exactly lighting the world on fire. Stevens seems OK but hes an upperclassmen and slower then me walking up the hill to the dome.

I really hope Marrone and Hackett try to work some of these other guys into the passing games over the next couple of games or were one injury away from have a much less effective passing gaame and with our Running game MIA so far this year we cant afford that.

Not even a little bit concerned. The starters have been playing great.

I become concerned when the incumbents are not playing good and the backups still don't crack the rotation.

Good post J Cuse and I have been saying this since game 1. I think you have to be very concerned with the way Marrone is recruiting period but def the skill positions stick out like a sore thumb right now, we still don't have one Marrone recruit who has made any impact there and this is year 3. That alone is not good, at WR we don't have one getting any run at this point, In fact if Sales was on the team, we would not have one in the Top 5. That isn't good.

We always get the summer camp puff pieces how all the new guys are bigger and can run but we don't see any on the field and Graham is the only speed guy that gets any PT. The TE position is scary right now as well as you look to next year. Would not surprise me to see Max B start there next year, he's athletic enough for sure

I'm concerned that the recruiting in the skill positions is not that good. Not sure about the WR's yet but certainly not sold on any of the running backs or tight ends.

Would be nice to land Ron Thompson (TE) to go with Josh Parris (TE) in this class. I'm really dissappointed we haven't been able to bring in a big time back. I do believe with the passing numbers it looks like we're going to put up this season selling some WR and athletic tight ends is going to be that much easier.

Not concerned a bit about the WRs. While Marrone knows we need speed, I don't think there is any question that he has always preferred to play the receivers that do the right things and that he can count on. If there were three games left, as opposed to 3 games in, I might be a little concerned, but there is a LONG season ahead.

I think this is one of those times when the fans' bloated expectations are really the only reason this gets brought up. The offensive playbook is opening up more and more... but when you already have Lemon, Chew, Provo, and Bailey as legitimate receiving options, and are working to incorporate Stevens and Graham, there just aren't going to be enough passes to go around to the youngsters this early in the season, unless one completely blows by the other youngins, AND a couple veterans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom