Anyone else have a sneaking suspicion…. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else have a sneaking suspicion….

I'm full of sneaking suspicions.:rolleyes:

But not that one. :(

Dungey plays on Saturday? It seems like if it were a severe case they would have declared him out by now. No news is good news.

I don't know either way, but I hope he gets to play to get experience against a team this big and fast. It will make the USF team look like they're going in slow motion. Can't replicate this kind of experience.

This assumes that there is no real risk in playing him after that hit

Shafer isn't throwing a smoke screen by saying Dungey is getting little to no reps. The kid just wont be ready to go and the game will be a show on offense. Hopefully we will be ready to roll after the bye and make a run at 8+ wins.
Agree 100%. We have nothing to lose vs LSU. It most likely would be more competitive with Dungey, but I think most reasonable people chalk it up as a 20 pt loss anyway. Without Dungey, a 30 pt loss. Most reasonable people had us losing this game, and going into the bye at 3-1. We're still in that boat with or without Dungey Saturday. He'll most likely be good and healthy come USF. We may have Irv back then too. We will need to win 3 games out of the remaining 8 and some of these toss up games are looking more winnable now. I feel like despite whatever happens Saturday, we will be in good shape to win 3 even 4 more games if the main guys can stay healthy.

I'm actually looking past this game for the bye week.

I want to hear good news about Dungey and Erv.

Two very winnable games vs USF and UVa. That's where our season could really gain some momentum.

5-1 with our lone loss to Heisman front runner led SEC team? Dungey getting national recognition!?

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

Two very winnable games vs USF and UVa. That's where our season could really gain some momentum.

5-1 with our lone loss to Heisman front runner led SEC team? Dungey getting national recognition!?

That's what I'm talking about!

Don't forget that after USF and UVA on the road, we get another winnable game vs Pitt at home. Let's not get ahead of ourselves...oh what the hell, let's get ahead of ourselves...we could realistically be 6-1 heading into what is now an important game at FSU...MUST GET DUNGEY BACK...MUST STAY HEALTHY!!!

When it comes to the 2015 season, getting beat by 50 is no different than getting beat by 1, it's 1 loss on the record book either way.

That said, we're on national TV Saturday against the team that has everyone's attention. I'd really like to show up. Especially on defense. Let's put this hardnosed stuff to the test and make Fournette talk about us afterwords. I'd love to hear him say that defense was a lot more physical than Auburn.

On offense, I just feel it's hopeless based on the QB situation. We are overmatched to begin with, but then you add that 800 lb gorilla. I just don't want to get shut out. Would be nice, with a few breaks, to see something no worse than, say 17-10 deficit at halftime. Might be an ugly 2nd half, but I just don't want this to be like Penn State where we forced an early fumble and literally gave the crowd nothing to cheer about for the rest of the game.

I just worry that our team's mentality might match the fans. Let's get to that week off, get everyone including Dungey healthy, and get ready for the crucial swing game portion of the schedule. Which would be the worst way to go into this weekend. That would end up getting more people hurt. LSU won't be handing out sympathy until the 2nd half.

Shenexon said:
I have to admit my first thought was trying to decipher the psychology in use by Shafer. Did he want LSU to think Dungey was probably out so they'd prepare for Wilson & Mahoney? Or did he want to make sure LSU had to prepare for Dungey as well? In the end, I think it's unlikely we see Eric on Saturday other than on the sideline cheering his team on. If he's my son, I want to give him some time to heal.

You don't have to prepare for Wilson and Mahoney.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

dan7800 said:
Well, looking back at things we were ~16.6 point underdogs at Clemson last year and held tough for most of the game. Just FWIW...

This is a different animal.

Just can't see us slowing down LSU's offense.

Chip said:
When it comes to the 2015 season, getting beat by 50 is no different than getting beat by 1, it's 1 loss on the record book either way. That said, we're on national TV Saturday against the team that has everyone's attention. I'd really like to show up. Especially on defense. Let's put this hardnosed stuff to the test and make Fournette talk about us afterwords. I'd love to hear him say that defense was a lot more physical than Auburn. On offense, I just feel it's hopeless based on the QB situation. We are overmatched to begin with, but then you add that 800 lb gorilla. I just don't want to get shut out. Would be nice, with a few breaks, to see something no worse than, say 17-10 deficit at halftime. Might be an ugly 2nd half, but I just don't want this to be like Penn State where we forced an early fumble and literally gave the crowd nothing to cheer about for the rest of the game. I just worry that our team's mentality might match the fans. Let's get to that week off, get everyone including Dungey healthy, and get ready for the crucial swing game portion of the schedule. Which would be the worst way to go into this weekend. That would end up getting more people hurt. LSU won't be handing out sympathy until the 2nd half.

Don't get me wrong - I'm hoping for a great performance and would love to open up some eyes. But even a poor performance won't hurt that too much - anybody playing their 3rd string QB vs a top 10 team will get a pass for the most part.

When it comes to the 2015 season, getting beat by 50 is no different than getting beat by 1, it's 1 loss on the record book either way.

That said, we're on national TV Saturday against the team that has everyone's attention. I'd really like to show up. Especially on defense. Let's put this hardnosed stuff to the test and make Fournette talk about us afterwords. I'd love to hear him say that defense was a lot more physical than Auburn.

On offense, I just feel it's hopeless based on the QB situation. We are overmatched to begin with, but then you add that 800 lb gorilla. I just don't want to get shut out. Would be nice, with a few breaks, to see something no worse than, say 17-10 deficit at halftime. Might be an ugly 2nd half, but I just don't want this to be like Penn State where we forced an early fumble and literally gave the crowd nothing to cheer about for the rest of the game.

I just worry that our team's mentality might match the fans. Let's get to that week off, get everyone including Dungey healthy, and get ready for the crucial swing game portion of the schedule. Which would be the worst way to go into this weekend. That would end up getting more people hurt. LSU won't be handing out sympathy until the 2nd half.

Get to 5-1 going into the Pitt game and now you're talking.

This team is like the 95 team at the skill positions. Obviously missing the Sr WR's, but there was a young group of guys behind Harrison and Wilson. THAT gives you something to market. Community can watch a group of guys play together for 3/4 years.

Get to 5-1 going into the Pitt game and now you're talking.

This team is like the 95 team at the skill positions. Obviously missing the Sr WR's, but there was a young group of guys behind Harrison and Wilson. THAT gives you something to market. Community can watch a group of guys play together for 3/4 years.

Sign me up. And with a healthy #2, I think we're competitive in all remaining games. Still worried about the D but I think our style ultimately gives enough rewards to offset the risks.

It would just be nice if the "1" in that 5-1 record was say a 31-13 national TV loss to a title contender where it was in reach thru most of the 3rd quarter. Rather than a 45-3 loss that was long since over by halftime.

I want people to start remembering our name.

Last edited:
Well it appears it's Zak Mahoney time. Should be interesting.

Top and unavailable, further lowers expectations makes the fallout less

Top and unavailable, further lowers expectations makes the fallout less
I have a weird feeling that AJ Long is going to be a key figure on Saturday. I also believe that we are going to win. I had this same feeling the night before we played Nebraska in 1984.

CaptainSyracuse said:
I have a weird feeling that AJ Long is going to be a key figure on Saturday. I also believe that we are going to win. I had this same feeling the before we played Nebraska in 1984.

I'm sensing that AJ redshirts this year barring another injury.

I'm guessing we see both Mahoney and Wilson Saturday.

I could see us pulling off an upset but LSU is the wrong team.

Wish we were playing South Florida at home.

I'm sensing that AJ redshirts this year barring another injury.

I'm guessing we see both Mahoney and Wilson Saturday.

I could see us pulling off an upset but LSU is the wrong team.

Wish we were playing South Florida at home.

Get through this week unscathed and start building to Clemson

National recognition? I don't know about that but I like how you think regardless.

I agree with this and I would hope SU does sit him.

Yeah, I guess there is some question since he was cleared to play, but I don't see any reason to think you would even consider playing a kid after that kind of hit and a concussion. It just doesn't make sense, to me anyway, to even toy with the idea or have him back in any contact whatsoever until after this week.

billsin01 said:
National recognition? I don't know about that but I like how you think regardless.

He's in the top of a lot of statistical categories - throw in a 5-1 start? Heading into FSU?

It would be a story.

Not quite walk on transfer leads Syracuse to a top ten win over Heisman front runner - but we gotta keep our dreams somewhat realistic ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom