anyone read about Marshall's wife? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

anyone read about Marshall's wife?

Does somebody have a link to better record of what she actually did? The Fox Sports article is short on details and doesn't contain anything particularly damning.

Does somebody have a link to better record of what she actually did? The Fox Sports article is short on details and doesn't contain anything particularly damning.
I just watched that short video and didn't see anything bad at all. What am I missing?

i used to ref youth hockey. believe when i say there is nothing more obnoxious than over zealous parents in matching team jackets. i'd make up calls just to piss them off.

Sorry but that says more about you as an official than it does about the parents.

What a bunch of pretentious people here..just wow. Really? This is me in my living room and slightly more tame than at games. I love this woman and fail to see where she did anything wrong. If you have an issue with this then you can check the box on the " I have officially reached the point, in life, where I want people to get off my lawn" phase in life.

Glad nobody was filming me yesterday while going out of my mind during my son's AAU tourney champ game. Thankfully the ref corrected me in front of the entire gym and reminded me there was no 1 and 1 in this tournament. At least I didn't swear.

I coach youth lacrosse and i've had to tell parents to tone it down. officials have warned my bench during games because of parents. i had one lady go onto the field to berate an official because her kid got slashed. that was the tip of the iceburg for her, she's nutz, i won't take her kid on my team anymore. i had a parent from an opposing team accost me after a game once because his kid got hit to hard in the arm (a legal check). he was yelling at me that my team was to rough and to aggressive. i apologized and reminded him it was a contact sport. nothing ceases to amaze me anymore with youth parents.

I coach youth lacrosse and i've had to tell parents to tone it down. officials have warned my bench during games because of parents. i had one lady go onto the field to berate an official because her kid got slashed. that was the tip of the iceburg for her, she's nutz, i won't take her kid on my team anymore. i had a parent from an opposing team accost me after a game once because his kid got hit to hard in the arm (a legal check). he was yelling at me that my team was to rough and to aggressive. i apologized and reminded him it was a contact sport. nothing ceases to amaze me anymore with youth parents.

While we're sharing stories. The overzealous parent thing reminds me of an assistant coach back in the day on my junior midget pop warner team. We were playing against a runningback who was really good and having a pretty good game against us. We got him bottled up on a sweep towards our sideline and just as somebody wrapped up his legs, the coach (who was also a parent of one of the players) yells, "Break him in half!" for everybody to hear lol. Earned us a 15 yard penalty and he almost got thrown out.

I was able to sit in the second row for the ND-WVU game on Saturday, right in the ND section with many of the players' parents sitting directly behind me. As an impartial observer, it was amazing to me how biased the parents were. Screaming and shouting at the refs after every call (or no-call) went against them, regardless of whether or not it was the correct call. Incredibly annoying. Chris Christie lost his mind at one point and literally almost turned purple telling the refs how much they sucked. It was embarrassing.

Yeah I managed baseball teams from little league up through Babe Ruth and travel as well for more than a decade. I've seen it all. Met some great people and some...

Yeah I managed baseball teams from little league up through Babe Ruth and travel as well for more than a decade. I've seen it all. Met some great people and some...

Ditto...coached soccer and lacrosse for both son and daughter...and watch them both play basketball and watch my son play baseball...

The best parents are the girls lacrosse parents because they have absolutely no idea what is going on so they don't know what to yell about...

The worst are the mothers at girls' soccer games...OMG...

In all my years coaching or watching, the only time I ever yell at the refs is if I feel they are losing control of the game and someone could get hurt...other than that, they are usually just a bunch of fat guys in a too-tight shirt, fat guys in a too-tight shirt...

I always loved it when the other coach would start b!itching incessantly at the refs...The parents pick up on it and then they all start in on the refs...so you have the coach on one side, the parents on the other and the poor kids in the middle...the kids see their coaches and their parents all yelling and screaming at the ref and the last thing their minds are on is the game...

I was able to sit in the second row for the ND-WVU game on Saturday, right in the ND section with many of the players' parents sitting directly behind me. As an impartial observer, it was amazing to me how biased the parents were. Screaming and shouting at the refs after every call (or no-call) went against them, regardless of whether or not it was the correct call. Incredibly annoying. Chris Christie lost his mind at one point and literally almost turned purple telling the refs how much they sucked. It was embarrassing.

Why do so many American sports fans seem to think it's okay to make asses of themselves berating sports officials? It's a primary reason so many who would make good officials choose not to do so.

So while we're telling stories, a real good friend of mine and I were reffing a city final (read: really big crowd). During a timeout, I see a young guy walking up the sideline toward him, dressed in stripes, with a white stick, and wearing sun glasses that Ray Charles would have coveted. My partner hears the laughing but won't turn around, so I walked over and said, "Have you seen that guy behind you?" He says "No. And I don't want to look, either." So I quickly describe it, and by now I've got this big jack-o-lantern grin on. So, my partner turns to look, he bursts out laughing which makes me do the same. The kid starts laughing, which sets the entire crowd into laughter. Time out is over, we put the ball in play, kid sits down, the crowd applauds, and we got no grief from them for the rest of the game. It's one of my favorite memories from reffing.

Why do so many American sports fans seem to think it's okay to make asses of themselves berating sports officials? It's a primary reason so many who would make good officials choose not to do so.

Still beats the he!! out of the fans of the rest of the world who all seem he!!-bent on killing each other and the refs (and sometimes the players)...

The rest of the world makes Eagles fans look like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir...

i used to ref youth hockey. believe when i say there is nothing more obnoxious than over zealous parents in matching team jackets. i'd make up calls just to piss them off.
i once reffed a hoops game for 3rd graders. one female parent yelled at me thru out the game that there was a 3 second violation. at halftime her and spouse came over to continue the conversation. i politely told them that there was no 3 second violation,rather it was 20 seconds that the kid was in the lane. they were incensed. i explained that this was a teaching level and at this point we were just trying to get the kids to dribble and pass and have fun. they weren't buying it.

I coach youth lacrosse too. I refuse to ref any age level over 1st-2nd grade because of my experiences reffing town league games at that level.

I had to stop a 1st-2nd grade game twice to tell a visiting loudmouth father to stop encouraging body checking because it's illegal at that level.

His son was more interested in decking kids than picking up the ball. I told the offending player that his aggressiveness was great but his hits would also be illegal at the college level (he was hunting for opposing players with their heads down and blindsiding them).

As I'm sure you're aware this is an age when each team has a coach on the field for instruction. After the second incident, I told the on field coach to teach his player that body checks won't be legal for another 6-7 years. He just laughed it off and said nothing.

I had to send the offending player off the field (penalties aren't served at that level) and tell the bench coach to teach the kid the appropriate level of contact.

Kid came back on the field and drilled another player within 15 seconds of re-entering the game. Sent him back off again and told him and the bench coach that if he hit anyone else he'd sit for the rest of the game. He did in the second half and I ejected him. I thought there was going to be a brawl between grateful parents of the home team and irate parents of the visiting team.

These were 1st & 2nd graders. Needless to say this incident (and others) have made me second guess how much emphasis I'll place on youth sports when my kids are old enough to participate.

Youth sports culture is awful. I'd love to have my kids play the same sports I did. I'm really starting to question the value because their sports experience will be so vastly different from mine.

I coach youth lacrosse too. I refuse to ref any age level over 1st-2nd grade because of my experiences reffing town league games at that level.

I had to stop a 1st-2nd grade game twice to tell a visiting loudmouth father to stop encouraging body checking because it's illegal at that level.

His son was more interested in decking kids than picking up the ball. I told the offending player that his aggressiveness was great but his hits would also be illegal at the college level (he was hunting for opposing players with their heads down and blindsiding them).

As I'm sure you're aware this is an age when each team has a coach on the field for instruction. After the second incident, I told the on field coach to teach his player that body checks won't be legal for another 6-7 years. He just laughed it off and said nothing.

I had to send the offending player off the field (penalties aren't served at that level) and tell the bench coach to teach the kid the appropriate level of contact.

Kid came back on the field and drilled another player within 15 seconds of re-entering the game. Sent him back off again and told him and the bench coach that if he hit anyone else he'd sit for the rest of the game. He did in the second half and I ejected him. I thought there was going to be a brawl between grateful parents of the home team and irate parents of the visiting team.

These were 1st & 2nd graders. Needless to say this incident (and others) have made me second guess how much emphasis I'll place on youth sports when my kids are old enough to participate.

Youth sports culture is awful. I'd love to have my kids play the same sports I did. I'm really starting to question the value because their sports experience will be so vastly different from mine.

Where I live, most of the people like that are hockey moms & dads, and we don't usually get 'em in basketball. The dads are the worst. It's like hockey is their sole identity, and even though they didn't make it to the NHL their kid is going to, and then they'll all be rich while dad basks in the glory of his son's aura. And woe unto you if you're someone in the way of their plan. Such as a ref that called a penalty (or didn't), or the coach who doesn't give him unlimited ice time despite the fact everyone else gets about the same amount.

Often as not the kid is embarrassed and quite tired of dad's act, and many arenas and minor sports associations have banned them completely. Can't come into the arena for any reason. Sometimes their kid switches to basketball at about 14 yrs old, having figured out he's not going to be an NHL star because he's still only 5-7 and 125 lbs. Dad doesn't come to the gym because a.) he doesn't understand the game, and b.) he's embarrassed that his kid isn't playing hockey anymore.

It is awful - and it is getting worse.

I am thrilled that my daughter is in high school and my son is almost there so that it is done with.

But that doesn't mean it has to be awful for your kids.

Don't push. This one is really hard, especially with your first and especially if your first is a talented athlete. There are going to be plenty of other parents who do constantly look to get their kid on the next best thing (and they will be thrilled to tell all about it so you end up feeling that your kid will be left behind if you don't keep up). Combine that with the fact that there are plenty of coaches and trainers who are more than willing to sell you whatever dream you want to be sold so they can separate you from as much of your hard-earned money as possible.

I have treated my son and daughter completely differently as youth athletes based upon what I learned from my daughter.

My daughter was an extremely talented soccer player from a really young age. Lefty, righty, ball glued to her feet from the time she was five years old. Cannon for a shot; good field vision...

I got caught up with her. Lots of type A - gotta be playing all the time for the best possible team-type parents on her first team.

Got her onto a really top team at U-11 and then, thankfully, eased off...She was all soccer all the time from the age of five on up...she played lacrosse and hoops, but only if it didn't interfere with soccer - which it almost always did...

The more time she spent on this team, the less she liked it - and the more she started liking hoops and lacrosse and the less she wanted soccer to interfere with them.

At U-13, she was done. She dropped down to a lower-level club team where she could dedicate Winter to hoops and Spring to lacrosse.

In high school, she dropped soccer altogether and now just plays hoops and lax.

Diversify. Have them try everything and then let them tell you what they want to do. With my son, it has been completely different. I had him try everything and I let him tell me what he wanted to do. He still plays everything. He plays club-everything with baseball being the most serious but he doesn't play for any club team that is serious enough that it givers him grief for playing other sports.

Article after article, and I've probably read them all, says the worst possible thing you can with your kid is have them specialize. It increases the serious injury rate by 70%. Torn ACLs are an epidemic these days for girls. - not just at our high school but all over. Most of those kids specialize and have only been playing one sport for years.

The hardest part of all this for me, with my son, has been finding teams that are reasonably competitive without being over the top. The bifurcation seems to be getting worse in that teams are either super-serious and super-committed or the play is rec-level. Finding that middle ground team that doesn't demand top priority all year long is what is getting harder and harder.

Take the advice, or leave it. It is a sample size of two.

Good Luck. Enjoy the journey. Your kids are only young once and coaching them and watching them play has been awesome for me.

Hopefully, it turns out the same for you.

It is awful - and it is getting worse.

I am thrilled that my daughter is in high school and my son is almost there so that it is done with.

But that doesn't mean it has to be awful for your kids.

Don't push. This one is really hard, especially with your first and especially if your first is a talented athlete. There are going to be plenty of other parents who do constantly look to get their kid on the next best thing (and they will be thrilled to tell all about it so you end up feeling that your kid will be left behind if you don't keep up). Combine that with the fact that there are plenty of coaches and trainers who are more than willing to sell you whatever dream you want to be sold so they can separate you from as much of your hard-earned money as possible.

I have treated my son and daughter completely differently as youth athletes based upon what I learned from my daughter.

My daughter was an extremely talented soccer player from a really young age. Lefty, righty, ball glued to her feet from the time she was five years old. Cannon for a shot; good field vision...

I got caught up with her. Lots of type A - gotta be playing all the time for the best possible team-type parents on her first team.

Got her onto a really top team at U-11 and then, thankfully, eased off...She was all soccer all the time from the age of five on up...she played lacrosse and hoops, but only if it didn't interfere with soccer - which it almost always did...

The more time she spent on this team, the less she liked it - and the more she started liking hoops and lacrosse and the less she wanted soccer to interfere with them.

At U-13, she was done. She dropped down to a lower-level club team where she could dedicate Winter to hoops and Spring to lacrosse.

In high school, she dropped soccer altogether and now just plays hoops and lax.

Diversify. Have them try everything and then let them tell you what they want to do. With my son, it has been completely different. I had him try everything and I let him tell me what he wanted to do. He still plays everything. He plays club-everything with baseball being the most serious but he doesn't play for any club team that is serious enough that it givers him grief for playing other sports.

Article after article, and I've probably read them all, says the worst possible thing you can with your kid is have them specialize. It increases the serious injury rate by 70%. Torn ACLs are an epidemic these days for girls. - not just at our high school but all over. Most of those kids specialize and have only been playing one sport for years.

The hardest part of all this for me, with my son, has been finding teams that are reasonably competitive without being over the top. The bifurcation seems to be getting worse in that teams are either super-serious and super-committed or the play is rec-level. Finding that middle ground team that doesn't demand top priority all year long is what is getting harder and harder.

Take the advice, or leave it. It is a sample size of two.

Good Luck. Enjoy the journey. Your kids are only young once and coaching them and watching them play has been awesome for me.

Hopefully, it turns out the same for you.

I'm copying your post for future reference because I really appreciate your thoughts.

They echo nearly everything my older siblings have shared with me about their youth sports experiences and how they navigated the challenges with their kids.

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom