Anyone want to talk about the Canisius game | Syracusefan.com

Anyone want to talk about the Canisius game

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Canisius is greatly improved under new coach Jim Baron. They are 6-1 and red hot. In their last game they made a school record 17 3's. Of course this was against Marist and not Syracuse, but that is still pretty impressive. Last year Canisius only won five games, so Baron has done a great job so far as they are the early MAAC conference leaders. Cuse will still take care of business but I don't think this is going to be the cupcake that JAB thought when he drew up the schedule, especially coming off of a week of being inactive.

http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=12016&DB_OEM_ID=20500&ATCLID=205822980

Yeah...some here are worried about Temple (ahem CTO)...however don't want to look past some of these teams like Canisius. My fear is that the team is doing so well right now that they get over-confident and think some of these teams are just gonna lay down. Although, JB usually does a pretty good job of keeping them grounded (especially through pressers). Looking forward to a good game on Saturday, although hopefully not so good that I have to have my son dial 911 due to an Orange heart attack!!

They have a couple of brothers on their team, the Heath brothers at the front court. They played at my sons school at West Irondequoit in Rochester. These kids are pretty good. I agree with the OP, SU should win, but if its by more than 15 to 20 points, I would be very surprised and feeling really good about the rest of the season. But I think SU's depth is going to wear them out.

as long as there isnt a Baron kid still playing, we will be fine.

I think MCW goes off for 9 steals.

Would love to see him really threaten the 20 assist record...Would be great for him to break that on the night JB wins #900...

Would love to see him really threaten the 20 assist record...Would be great for him to break that on the night JB wins #900...

pretty sure the sherm assist record is 22

Canisius is greatly improved under new coach Jim Baron. They are 6-1 and red hot. In their last game they made a school record 17 3's. Of course this was against Marist and not Syracuse, but that is still pretty impressive. Last year Canisius only won five games, so Baron has done a great job so far as they are the early MAAC conference leaders. Cuse will still take care of business but I don't think this is going to be the cupcake that JAB thought when he drew up the schedule, especially coming off of a week of being inactive.

http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=12016&DB_OEM_ID=20500&ATCLID=205822980
I know one of their best players is senior guard Alshwan Hymes. Hymes led his conference in 3 point shots made last year and finished 22nd in the country.

He is also a former teammate of BT and DCII. The hearts of all Jamesville Dewitt basketball fans will be near bursting watching their fomer Red Rams go at it Saturday night.

I hope Bill Orange's head doesn't explode during the pregame player introductions.

Dura mater is very hard to clean up.

Cottage_Cheese_homemade.jpg

haha.. actually billy baron plays for canisius and is averaging 17 a game..

are you kidding? :bang:

i honestly havent looked at their squad 1 time... he is going to go off for 8 3's...

I know one of their best players is senior guard Alshwan Hymes. Hymes led his conference in 3 point shots made last year and finished 22nd in the country.

If I remember correctly Hymes was a pretty good player at JD but was not offered any D-1 scholly until Canisius. Always good to see when someone is able to take advantage of the opportunity to continue his basketball and his education.

I saw that their RPI is 59. That is better than most teams in the BE. I would not be surprised if this is tight. I also wouldn't be surprised if we win by 30.

These are the kind of games where we can't win in the public eye. If we win big, people rip us for a weak schedule. If it's close, people will call us overrated. If we lose, God forbid, it will be a massive story on ESPN. Canisius is a good team but nobody knows anything about them on a national level.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51065/billy-baron

wow... 3 teams in 3 years. thats nice.

i do believe i read a story on him getting an exception when his dad got canned at URI. (iirc a very odd fire, right?)
If the son is anything like his dad, he will be a handful. Jim Baron was a really good point guard for St Bonaventure back in the days when the Bonnies were one of, if not the biggest rivals for Syracuse in basketball.

Too bad Jim isn't coaching St Bonaventure. That would seem to be the place he most belongs, as does his son.

Yeah...some here are worried about Temple (ahem CTO)...however don't want to look past some of these teams like Canisius. My fear is that the team is doing so well right now that they get over-confident and think some of these teams are just gonna lay down. Although, JB usually does a pretty good job of keeping them grounded (especially through pressers). Looking forward to a good game on Saturday, although hopefully not so good that I have to have my son dial 911 due to an Orange heart attack!!
You guys are making me nervous. Didn't know any of this about Canisius. And I'm going to miss viewing the game ... which therefore makes me even more nervous. Of all bizarre things on Saturday, I am going to a black-tie 150th birthday party for a house! (Yes, friends of mine live in an historic house, and they are throwing a 150th birthday party for it).

You guys are making me nervous. Didn't know any of this about Canisius. And I'm going to miss viewing the game ... which therefore makes me even more nervous. Of all bizarre things on Saturday, I am going to a black-tie 150th birthday party for a house! (Yes, friends of mine live in an historic house, and they are throwing a 150th birthday party for it).
You know you're a big deal when you get invited to black tie house parties!

Line should open around 22 to 23 by my quick calculations.

Canisius was 311 in KenPom ratings last year, and have moved up to 145. That's a massive level of improvement.

Have fun!! Now there will be no chaperone in the chat room for that game!! couchburn

This is a #1 seed vs a #16 seed. Yes, as per Joe Lunardi, Canisius is dancing as a #16 seed. If you get nervous in the opening round game, then yeah, you will be nervous.

Enjoy your house party. Hopefully you can sneak off into the kitchen to catch the scores. Nothing to worry about.

We are second in the country in winning margin at 28.5 and third in points averaging 84.6 ppg a hard pace to keep with. And we might be first if our walkons had more then 2 points this year.

We are also first in field goal percentage defense.
And our three point defense is holidng opponents outside of the SDSU game(because of awful weather I took sdsu 1-25 3 pt % out) to 25.8% :). We are also first in the country in rebounds at 47.8, second in steals and third in blocked shots.

Of course thats leaving the offensive stats like 5th in assists out ;).
So no not to worried.

It should be a good test for Rak and DC2 at the four in the zone though. I hope they get some extended game minutes sliding from the paint to the perimeter. I think Keita of all our bigs gets out to the perimeter the quickest, is our best weak side shot blocker at full speed, and probably has the best hands to deflect passes and its not even close. But he is playing exclusively at the 5 for now anyway..

I hope there's a bunch of kids wearing tacos on their heads serving h'orderves at the party. Now that would be awesome!