Anyone want to talk about the Canisius game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone want to talk about the Canisius game

Joe Mihalich, Niagara University's coach called Canisus the most talented team in the MAAC. They have some serious players for a mid-major. I think they are clearly the best Big-4 team. Here in Buffalo they are getting some pub for being 6-1.

I am worried about their guards shooting ability. They can get hot. Also, they have legit size. It will be a battle on the glass.

I would not expect this to be like Monmouth or Colgate. These guys have legit tournamnet hopes.

My predicition is it is close in 1st half (8 point lead at half) then we end up winning by like 22 in the end.

Joe Mihalich, Niagara University's coach called Canisus the most talented team in the MAAC. They have some serious players for a mid-major. I think they are clearly the best Big-4 team. Here in Buffalo they are getting some pub for being 6-1.

I am worried about their guards shooting ability. They can get hot. Also, they have legit size. It will be a battle on the glass.

I would not expect this to be like Monmouth or Colgate. These guys have legit tournamnet hopes.

My predicition is it is close in 1st half (8 point lead at half) then we end up winning by like 22 in the end.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Big 4? And sorry, but "the most talented team in the MAAC" isn't a superlative that should worry SU fans.

You know you're a big deal when you get invited to black tie house parties!
You know you're a big deal when you're a house that has black-tie parties thrown in your honor, for your birthday.

Put that in your pipe...

and smoke it.

I think MCW goes off for 9 steals, but will be handcuffed by refs that rob him of a triple double.

Handcuffs? Did mcw get in some kind of trouble??

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

It should be a good test for Rak and DC2 at the four in the zone though. I hope they get some extended game minutes sliding from the paint to the perimeter. I think Keita of all our bigs gets out to the perimeter the quickest, is our best weak side shot blocker at full speed, and probably has the best hands to deflect passes and its not even close. But he is playing exclusively at the 5 for now anyway..
OF13 - thanks for the stats recap - those are interesting.

I have tried for some time to lower your expectations for your BMK to the 4 campaign. But I think I need to just give it to you straight now - BMK is NOT going to play the 4. He's just not. Ever. It is a logjam there with talented people. Any possible available developmental minutes will now clearly go to Grant. Many have been so impressed with Grant that they feel he may steal some real BE minutes.

Your post also gets demerits because you did not use your made up word of "thets".

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Big 4? And sorry, but "the most talented team in the MAAC" isn't a superlative that should worry SU fans.

Buffalo, Canisus, St. Bona, Niagara.

I am not saying we should be worried, I'm just saying that it won't be a 50 point victory. Remember, the MAAC got 2 teams in the tourney last year.

Their offense is OK, but their defense is terrible - they are ranked 257th in defensive efficiency, and that is against a weak schedule (204th in the nation).

of all the teams SU has played this year, only Colgate has a lower rated defense.

SU will top 80 points for the 7th time in 9 games and hold Colgate below 60 for the 8th time in 9 games.

Spoke to a good friend of mine whose daughter is attending Canisius and who has seen them play several times. He is a huge SU fan so I will add that bias right out of the gate. His thoughts were they were similar to Long Beach St in that they have the ability to get hot from three, have good athletes but better size. He also said their defense is not that great and its unlikely that we would have any issues with turning the ball over. His thoughts were that they are a step above most of their league but not the type of team thats a serious threat to knock off the cuse or top 50 opponent. Their only loss was to a solid but not great Stony Brook team. He is a former coach so I would say he has a good feel - I would say this game could be similar to LBST in that they make it a game and maybe even get a quick lead before we go on a run and it gets ugly. Don't think they keep it under 20.

You know you're a big deal when you're a house that has black-tie parties thrown in your honor, for your birthday.

Put that in your pipe...

and smoke it.
Pardon me, sir. May I have a moment?

I most certainly am smoking it... but we prefer you humans refer to it as "chimney", "fire-place", or "hearth". Frankly we find the term "pipe" to be overtly racist. We are not sewers, you animal.

You may now continue with your lollygagging, or whatever it is you silly humans do.

I was just talking to an old Buddy of mine about watching Canisius and SU at the Aud in 74-75? They had a guy named Montgomery/a blonded Haired kid and this Guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Fogle We got Fred Saunders later. SU lost to Griffs on way to final 4

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Big 4?

For a long time, Canisius, Niagara and St. Bonaventure were referred to as the "Little Three." How UB moving up to D-I turned that into a "Big Four," I don't know, but it did.

And while we're on the subject, -- Jim Baron. UB's move to D-I coincided with the opening of the new arena in downtown Buffalo and there were big plans for bringing big college basketball events to the arena. Each team would schedule a major opponent and play them in the arena. There also was a mini-tournament among the four teams to start the season in the arena. Well, UB won both tournaments and Jim Baron and the rest of the Bonaquitters took their ball and ran home to Olean. I guess it was too hard for the Bonaquitters to maintain their smugness, self-importance and air of superiority while a D-I newbie was wiping up the court with them. Aside from NCAA tournaments and MAAC tournaments, there hasn't been a college basketball game at the arena since the last time Syracuse played there. And for that, I blame Jim Baron.

Having joined the SU hoops family when the Bonnies were (arguably) our biggest rival, I have but 2 words:

F St. Bonaventure

Well, that's 3 words, but you get the picture.

St. Bona has some serious arrogance towards UB, NU and CC. I loved when we killed them a few years ago. As far as the big 4 go, Go Purps!

Having joined the SU hoops family when the Bonnies were (arguably) our biggest rival, I have but 2 words:

F St. Bonaventure

Well, that's 3 words, but you get the picture.
Isn't that three words!!!

Niagara, Canisius, St. Bonaventure and ... I'm not sure.

OF13 - thanks for the stats recap - those are interesting.

I have tried for some time to lower your expectations for your BMK to the 4 campaign. But I think I need to just give it to you straight now - BMK is NOT going to play the 4. He's just not. Ever. It is a logjam there with talented people. Any possible available developmental minutes will now clearly go to Grant. Many have been so impressed with Grant that they feel he may steal some real BE minutes.

Your post also gets demerits because you did not use your made up word of "thets".

lol. Agree Baye probably won't see the four, but a logjam at the four doesn't trump Keita being ready to play some four.

My point was Baye is...
imo...
1. probably alittle more scrappy then DC2/Rak with retriveing loose balls
2. probably alittle bit faster then both at moving his hands to deflect passes on the wing
3. probably a better blocker then both at full speed recovering from the wing to baseline
4. probably better at closing out to the perimeter then both if given the chance

Thats a solid argument because 4's in a zone have more room to cover and need to more mobile then M2M.
That could possibly be a positive difference maker in 3-5 plays per game that DC2 and Rak aren't ready for yet.
I don't have expectations for Baye to play the 4 though and never did, Thets leave it at that ;).

imo The reasons he is most likely to not see the four this year are more...
1. because DC2 and Rak might both be slated as NBA PF's and JB is going to develop them that way.
2. DC2 and Rak had trouble guarding their man one on one once or twice this year and Keitas seniority helped.
3. DC2 and Rak might be better outlet passers out of rebounds with their body strength.
Of course being number one in rebounds and defensive fg% helps as well :p

Pardon me, sir. May I have a moment?

I most certainly am smoking it... but we prefer you humans refer to it as "chimney", "fire-place", or "hearth". Frankly we find the term "pipe" to be overtly racist. We are not sewers, you animal.

You may now continue with your lollygagging, or whatever it is you silly humans do.
It took me a while to figure out your post, but now that I have, I see the brilliance.

I'm intrigued by your views. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.