Anyone willing to admit | Syracusefan.com

Anyone willing to admit

GooseMutt

All Conference
That we aren’t what we use to be. I think back to the days of Dion Triche Rautins Fair Rak etc when we were a legitimate powerhouse that the nation would always tune in to watch us because we were entertaining and unpredictable. Feels like those days are long gone. Apologize for coming off as Debbie downer but it’s how I feel. I have 4 Villanova grads in my nucleus family and I’m suffering.

That we aren’t what we use to be. I think back to the days of Dion Triche Rautins Fair Rak etc when we were a legitimate powerhouse that the nation would always tune in to watch us because we were entertaining and unpredictable. Feels like those days are long gone. Apologize for coming off as Debbie downer but it’s how I feel. I have 4 Villanova grads in my nucleus family and I’m suffering.
I know we've had some intermediate success since joining the ACC, but feels like we're never in the conversation for challenging for the league title since we left the BE. And I for one miss that.

Yeah, we're not a top tier team.

Our program has had peaks and valleys before though. Back in 2002 we were longing for the golden age days of the mid to late 80’s and then Melo came along. Then in 2007 and 2008 we had 2 down years even though our teams were talented and then we followed that with our second “golden age” of 2009-2014. Now the question is will our next “golden age” be before or after Boeheim retires? Kadary, Woody, and Benny are a good start to hopefully getting back on track. Just need one of our young centers to develop, which I think Frank has the best chance of doing.

"You are what your record says you are". We have been just north of mediocre for quite awhile now, and that is our status until we prove otherwise. That is not being a debbie downer, it is just the fact of of the matter, pleasant or unpleasant as that may be.

Our program has had peaks and valleys before though. Back in 2002 we were longing for the golden age days of the mid to late 80’s and then Melo came along. Then in 2007 and 2008 we had 2 down years even though our teams were talented and then we followed that with our second “golden age” of 2009-2014. Now the question is will our next “golden age” be before or after Boeheim retires? Kadary, Woody, and Benny are a good start to hopefully getting back on track. Just need one of our young centers to develop, which I think Frank has the best chance of doing.
We've had mediocre stretches before, but not this long since the early 80s. From '81 to '85 we went 43-33 in conference. There hasn't been a five year stretch as bad as the current one going back to that. Granted, we've been incredibly spoiled, and I think there is reason for optimism with the current team.

We've had mediocre stretches before, but not this long since the early 80s. From '81 to '85 we went 43-33 in conference. There hasn't been a five year stretch as bad as the current one going back to that. Granted, we've been incredibly spoiled, and I think there is reason for optimism with the current team.

I agree 100% and I know part of the issue has been probation, although we bounced back much quicker from probation in 1993.

We haven't been the same since Hop left. He isn't the only reason we were up and down through previous periods but it seems this recent stretch borders on being worse than others. At this point it's about proof that we still can be a top 4 ACC team.

I agree 100% and I know part of the issue has been probation, although we bounced back much quicker from probation in 1993.
I think the fact that the recent probation coincided with an era where players leave earlier for the NBA, and more frequently, is why we didn't recover more quickly like we did post-'93.

The '95 team was my senior year, and featured Moten (Sr), Wallace (Jr), Luke Jackson (Sr), and Michael Lloyd (Jr), as our top 4 in minutes played. We'll never see a collection of high-level, third-and-fourth year players like that again.

JB rode out the non-sensical probation, suffered the loss of scholarships, and a slew of injuries. The team will be different. Whether we get back to the highs of yesteryear remain to be seen, but the future is brighter than it has been the last few years.

I think we win more in conference than of late.

I mean...we haven’t had a “Syracuse” record since 2014. So yeah.

Feel like some of the complaining on here is kinda weird timing though...we’ve got a promising group of freshmen this year with our biggest recruit in years coming next year. I truly think we’re on our way back.

Everyone admits that. But this is not the year to be saying it. That Rutgers game, with Kadary orchestrating, was the first game in a long, long time where it didn't feel like our offense was some flaccid ineffectual unit fighting a losing battle with a poorly constructed roster. I know the numbers say last year was a good offense, but it didn't pass the eye test, at least for me, beyond Elijah's heroics.

Feel like some of the complaining on here is kinda weird timing though...we’ve got a promising group of freshmen this year with our biggest recruit in years coming next year. I truly think we’re on our way back.
I feel I just gotta pull my head out of the sand and speak the truth

It’s time to step away from the skinny lanky zone athletes and bring in some street brawlers that can disrupt, entertain and win. This cookie cutter recruitment style is not working

Wait what recruit is that?

It’s time to step away from the skinny lanky zone athletes and bring in some street brawlers that can disrupt, entertain and win. This cookie cutter recruitment style is not working
Might be something to the "street brawlers" theory. Had a couple white kids from the burbs playing guard and 3 foreign forwards as our 5 starters. Probably not ideal. Could be hyperbole but seems like we could use someone like Devo or any of the Philly guards that will get in someones face and under their skin.

Some folks are putting Benny Williams up there against our best recruits ever. Hopefully lives up to it.

His ranking doesn't say that at all. But rankings can be wrong.

We need a top notch recruiter on this staff, no dead Weight. Once the CEO steps down we can get back on the stage. Until then.. more of the same

I think the fact that the recent probation coincided with an era where players leave earlier for the NBA, and more frequently, is why we didn't recover more quickly like we did post-'93.

The '95 team was my senior year, and featured Moten (Sr), Wallace (Jr), Luke Jackson (Sr), and Michael Lloyd (Jr), as our top 4 in minutes played. We'll never see a collection of high-level, third-and-fourth year players like that again.
Very true and that's unfortunate. It not only lessens the quality of the game, it lessens the impression these players have on the fanbase and community. Four year players are special in my mind.

Key for me is predictability. I don’t know what to expect year after year. Big East I knew. Acc days are tough to figure this team out

No “admitting” necessary, it’s just cold hard fact.
Nothing against you, GM, but I’ve always hated these kinda nostalgic, “‘remember when” threads. Always reminded me of:

C0927F99-570D-4D43-89BA-9756DEC9C18D.jpeg