Anyone willing to admit | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone willing to admit

Just to play a little add on...and maybe be even more blunt...and people can say all they want about the money they made but here is what happened to Syracuse Basketball:

Jerami Grant - Came in expected to be a 4 year player, should have stayed 3, left one year too early as his long NBA development timeline supports.
Tyler Ennis - Expected 4 years, should have stayed 4 years, left 3 years too early. I loved Ennis, but he still does not have one single NBA level skill.
Chris McCullough - Expected 1. Should have stayed 2 at least, his leaving after 1/2 season injured shocked me.
Malachi Richardson - Expected 2 or 3. Should have stayed 2. Can you imagine his FF level play for an entire season?
Tyler Lydon - Expected 4. Should have stayed 3 if not 4. Like Marek he got stuck at the 5 when he expected to play some 3. Developed faster than expected but could have been 1st team AA.
Oshae Brissett - Expected 4. Should have stayed 3. Would have been dominant last year.
Tyus Battle - Expected 2. Probably should have stayed 4 to learn PG. Doesn't really belong but felt relative.
Darius Bazley - Expected 1, should have come for one. Hmmm Bazley and/or Brissett on last years team?!?!?

Again, this is not about the money its about the Syracuse program. And I know other programs have guys that leave. But most of those are guys that were always expected to leave. The only guys above with close to those expectations were McCullough and Bazely. But that group above missed out on possibly 9 All American Seasons in the past 6 years (All conference at least). Memories that none of them have now that most of their NBA careers are over still in their 20's. Imagine adding 1.5 All Americans to each SU teams the last 6 years? And why is it that so many SU players have over achieved once they got to campus? I see Woody as the next in that regard.

Every one of your opinions is wrong.

All those dudes GOT PAID.

CJ Fair & KrisJo can tell you all about how coming back doesn’t guarantee diddly re: Pro career or NBA earnings.

Just to play a little add on...and maybe be even more blunt...and people can say all they want about the money they made but here is what happened to Syracuse Basketball:

Jerami Grant - Came in expected to be a 4 year player, should have stayed 3, left one year too early as his long NBA development timeline supports.
Tyler Ennis - Expected 4 years, should have stayed 4 years, left 3 years too early. I loved Ennis, but he still does not have one single NBA level skill.
Chris McCullough - Expected 1. Should have stayed 2 at least, his leaving after 1/2 season injured shocked me.
Malachi Richardson - Expected 2 or 3. Should have stayed 2. Can you imagine his FF level play for an entire season?
Tyler Lydon - Expected 4. Should have stayed 3 if not 4. Like Marek he got stuck at the 5 when he expected to play some 3. Developed faster than expected but could have been 1st team AA.
Oshae Brissett - Expected 4. Should have stayed 3. Would have been dominant last year.
Tyus Battle - Expected 2. Probably should have stayed 4 to learn PG. Doesn't really belong but felt relative.
Darius Bazley - Expected 1, should have come for one. Hmmm Bazley and/or Brissett on last years team?!?!?

Again, this is not about the money its about the Syracuse program. And I know other programs have guys that leave. But most of those are guys that were always expected to leave. The only guys above with close to those expectations were McCullough and Bazely. But that group above missed out on possibly 9 All American Seasons in the past 6 years (All conference at least). Memories that none of them have now that most of their NBA careers are over still in their 20's. Imagine adding 1.5 All Americans to each SU teams the last 6 years? And why is it that so many SU players have over achieved once they got to campus? I see Woody as the next in that regard.
To me, the issue is that every single player in college hoops today might leave after 1 season. There's really no "should stay" dynamic anymore, every decision is a random crap shoot, and expectations are only a marginal factor.

Twenty years ago, not a single player that you listed would have left after less than 2 years, and I'd guess that at least 6 of the 8 would have stayed for 4 years.

I mean, Hakim Warrick stayed 4 years -- if he played today he'd absolutely be gone after 2.

All these players should absolutely do what they think is best, and I don't begrudge any of them for leaving and making money. That's the way the game is played these days. It just makes college hoops immensely worse from a fan standpoint.

This is what we were.
Gotta get back.

And that was still a “down” season until we snuck in the tourney (remember thinking we were out when we lost to Pitt in ACC tourney) and got hot at the right time. We haven’t had a successful regular season by SU standards since 2014.

the Darius Bazely that’s a pretty good NBA player? That’s a generational talent?

Idc I've admitted. I rooted for him to go undrafted after what he did to JB the coaching staff, his future teammates, and the fan base.

I think the fact that the recent probation coincided with an era where players leave earlier for the NBA, and more frequently, is why we didn't recover more quickly like we did post-'93.

Add in the trend towards consolidating top teams in the same league, first in the NBE and now in the ACC and just being average is difficult.

Someone said they just want to be top 4. That’s in a league with two historical blue bloods UNC and Duke and two historically top 10ish programs Louisville and Us and a bunch of programs right behind that UVA and Notre Dame. It is a DEEP league. Top 4 is no small achievement.

Last edited:
Idc I've admitted. I rooted for him to go undrafted after what he did to JB the coaching staff, his future teammates, and the fan base.
So because the kid decided he didn’t want to be an amateur athlete in name only and wanted to get paid to play basketball you root against him.

None of these kids owe us fans anything other than to stay out of trouble with the law and they play hard while they play.

My goodness.
The kid did nothing wrong.

Regardless - kid is 6’8, athletic and skilled. So is Newton. Kadary is 6’5 and skilled. Anselem is athletic and can catch.

We’re getting big, athletic kids with offensive ability again.
Plus add a muscular guy like Quincy who can mix it up with stronger bruiser types like you used to see at Pitt all the time. Quincy, btw, was basically a top 100 recruit (per 247 and other services) but he wasn’t consensus top 100 because a number of sites don’t rate Canadian kids.

Last edited:
So because the kid decided he didn’t want to be an amateur athlete in name only and wanted to get paid to play basketball you root against him.

None of these kids owe us fans anything other than to stay out of trouble with the law and they play hard while they play.

My goodness.

I take what JB says and he was not happy he said the kid was manipulated by Rich Paul and Lebron. He said the decision was not made by Bazley he was taken advantage of.

I take what JB says and he was not happy he said the kid was manipulated by Rich Paul and Lebron. He said the decision was not made by Bazley he was taken advantage of.
Jim Boeheim doesn’t have to be happy.
These kids aren’t paid to play college basketball.
Bazley didn’t want to be a student athlete.
He took a basketball internship and got paid.

You really are selfish. These players don’t owe their fanbases anything more than what I said above.
If they want to be professional athletes good luck.

Jim Boeheim doesn’t have to be happy.
These kids aren’t paid to play college basketball.
Bazley didn’t want to be a student athlete.
He took a basketball internship and got paid.

You really are selfish. These players don’t owe their fanbases anything more than what I said above.
If they want to be professional athletes good luck.

I don't have to root for the kid. And I don't think JB does either.

Number 3 is the real question.

1.The talent is there (Griffin, Kadary, Guerrier, are really good, and Buddy will be as good of scoring SG/SF as you can ask for offensively), Scoring and passing we are very solid.

2. The look test is deceiving (You can get away with one Buddy Girard up top defensively, but two is awfully tough for huge minutes if you want to be a one or two seed), The offensive efficiency would need to be through the roof to be a 1-3 seed or go that deep in the tournament. Drive and dish layups will kill you every time without a center (we have one).

3. The chemistry is a roll of the dice. The Problem with chemistry is will we take chances, or will we just try to blow the offensive efficiency though the roof? I'm guessing the latter. Duke and virginia play great perimeter D on their best teams first and foremost. That's how we lost to butler in 09-10 despite having two really solid bigs inside.

I know JB is not a fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing buddy at the SF if he can board. Before you click off, Would you rather roll the dice with tough 3's from the corner over teams driving right down the middle and dishing to an unstoppable big? At least mix and match it up, and make teams do both. If we find solid D, then Girard can focusing on playing wild 6th man one half, and Double in control point the other.

As long as we can close out on one wing and have one solid center, the D has a shot to surprise for 20 solid minutes against some of the big boys. Once again though, I don't see us sticking with that in the long run. Sounds like we are more likely to see a 5-minute trial, and out process. JB understands why deep loaded teams like Virginia recently cut down good players minutes 5-10 for the good of the team. I trust whatever we go with.

I don't have to root for the kid. And I don't think JB does either.
You are this guy of this message board.

shockmaster-o_medium.gif.cf.gif

Might be something to the "street brawlers" theory. Had a couple white kids from the burbs playing guard and 3 foreign forwards as our 5 starters. Probably not ideal. Could be hyperbole but seems like we could use someone like Devo or any of the Philly guards that will get in someones face and under their skin.
The team is soft. No edge.

really think SU could easily go to a final 4 within the next couple of years if players stick around
yeah but they arent .

it sucks watching a team that always needs a year or two more to develop that will never ever get that time...

the level of play in the sport is so low.....

maybe they oughta just drastically cut the number of teams in division one to stop the dilution of talent...cut the bottom 100-200 teams out and level of play would jump back up...

cinderalla stories are one of the best things about the sport but the last 5 years of \ncaa have gotten pathetic, imo..just from a pure basketball fan perspective.

i realize it is all about money but theres gotta be a way to fix this.

My goodness.
its not about blaming the kid or player its about the quality of the sport and level of play.

there's just gotta be a way for everyone to get paid and for this age group of player 18-22 to play against each other like before.

NCAA basketball used to be GOOD. when was the last great team in the NCAA?? has there been 1 in the last 10 years?

a lot of these players can barely play and they get 40 minutes a game.

No team is what they were before the one and done became hot. CBB is weaker overall since then. Even when UK and Duke get a team full of 5 stars, they aren't as good as the teams of the 90's, by a long shot. Almost without exception, those SU teams would never exist now because Billy and DC (for example) would never have played 3-4 years. The maturity would have been missed...and IS missed. The quality is lacking because the majority of freshmen just aren't ready compared to star upperclassman in the past. I guess my point is that when the best teams have so many 5 stars coming in every year, we will likely not compete because we will never be able do that. We can be a top 10-15 team with the right coach and no recruiting limits. Development will be key (just like in FB).

People would think better of our recruiting if Bazley and Dior didn't leave us at the alter. That would be two high 5 star generational talents that our program has brought in recently.
I haven’t gotten far enough but I’m sure it’s been said, any...drink.

The team is soft. No edge.
Without question. Though it may not be just a Cuse problem. Not really any tough teams around these days. Whole generation is and will be like that with few exceptions.

Without question. Though it may not be just a Cuse problem. Not really any tough teams around these days. Whole generation is and will be like that with few exceptions.
Agreed. Michigan State will always be tough. As to SU Guerrier is our toughest player. Marek plays hard but hes a toothpick. Joe needs to get in shape but can be tough, Frank has an edge.
Kids today grow up with everyone getting a trophy and too much parental involvement at a young age.