AP / Coaches Polls for Oct 13 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

AP / Coaches Polls for Oct 13

It stands out but isn't unexpected that Pitt (and the ACC) are the worst ranked undefeated Power Conference team at 20 even with wins over Cincinnati, West Virginia and Cal. Why do the computers (both FPI and Sagarin) hate them and conversely, why is Indiana ranked so highly when they've only beaten Maryland? I understand that the voters are biased and will choose Big Ten teams over the ACC which is clearly shown in the polls but the computer rankings are confusing.

It stands out but isn't unexpected that Pitt (and the ACC) are the worst ranked undefeated Power Conference team at 20 even with wins over Cincinnati, West Virginia and Cal. Why do the computers (both FPI and Sagarin) hate them and conversely, why is Indiana ranked so highly when they've only beaten Maryland? I understand that the voters are biased and will choose Big Ten teams over the ACC which is clearly shown in the polls but the computer rankings are confusing.
Indiana is 4th in total offense and 6th in total defense. Texas and OSU are the only other teams ranked in the top ten in both.

Their average score is 47.5 to 14.8

They beat @UCLA 42-13, UMd 42-28, and at @Northwestern 41-24.

That is a dominant team.

Rankings are silly. Like, it's a cool story that Army and Navy are ranked. But come on. Army's wins are entirely against teams that are 2-4 and 1-5. Navy at least has a win vs. Memphis, but the rest of their wins are against the same laughable competition.

I'm no Vegas expert, but I have to imagine SU would be a touchdown favorite against either of them on a neutral field. We have two wins against ranked teams. There's no sane universe where anyone with a credible perspective actually thinks Army and Navy are better than us. But rankings are silly.

Indiana is 4th in total offense and 6th in total defense. Texas and OSU are the only other teams ranked in the top ten in both.

Their average score is 47.5 to 14.8

They beat @UCLA 42-13, UMd 42-28, and at @Northwestern 41-24.

That is a dominant team.
Didn't realize that margin played such a large role. Impressed with Cigs for sure and hope that we can keep the foot on the gas, more so than the NC St and GT games.

We aren’t sniffing the Top 25 unless we win the next two games. Pitt is an absolute must win, but even that may not get us in the polls by itself. Damn that Stanford game.
The Stanford game is what blew it at this point. Should have been a win... But PITT will be the fulcrum depending on the play even if we loose may get ranked...

Why do you (and so many others) care so much?

Most critical thinkers on here have listed the reasons we aren't ranked. Do you want people to fill out their ballots the way they think, or to be biased homers?
Personally, I'd prefer they be biased homers and rank SU #1. But I do like Emily, and think she is good at her job.

Rankings are silly. Like, it's a cool story that Army and Navy are ranked. But come on. Army's wins are entirely against teams that are 2-4 and 1-5. Navy at least has a win vs. Memphis, but the rest of their wins are against the same laughable competition.

I'm no Vegas expert, but I have to imagine SU would be a touchdown favorite against either of them on a neutral field. We have two wins against ranked teams. There's no sane universe where anyone with a credible perspective actually thinks Army and Navy are better than us. But rankings are silly.
Hence my theory that SEC and B1G writers/coaches vote for Army, Navy, instead of ACC or Big12 teams.

Most critical thinkers on here have listed the reasons we aren't ranked. Do you want people to fill out their ballots the way they think, or to be biased homers?
Both.

Hence my theory that SEC and B1G writers/coaches vote for Army, Navy, instead of ACC or Big12 teams.
Everything’s a conspiracy these days, isn’t it? ;)

Most writers have no real incentive to fluff the SEC/B1G and sabotage the ACC/B12. They may buy into the hype of the conferences they cover and overrate those schools.

But in this case, writers tend to be a romantic bunch and the ability to rank service academies is far too compelling to ignore.

Back in 94 the writers fluffed us to 10 before we played Miami.

If we win out in to the Miami game I expect a fluffing then for television purposes.

Everything’s a conspiracy these days, isn’t it? ;)

Most writers have no real incentive to fluff the SEC/B1G and sabotage the ACC/B12. They may buy into the hype of the conferences they cover and overrate those schools.

But in this case, writers tend to be a romantic bunch and the ability to rank service academies is far too compelling to ignore.
So very true. Still…
There is SO much money involved and at stake in CFB right now.

Biased homers like the rest of the reporters are.

She is biased homer when it comes to Missouri.

At least give a little extra love to the team you’re reporting on every week.

Biased homers like the rest of the reporters are.

She is biased homer when it comes to Missouri.

At least give a little extra love to the team you’re reporting on every week.
I think she’s become a solid analyst of SU football.

Calling her a joke because of a poll vote is kinda weird.

You know who’s not getting any of that money?

Sports writers.

Believe me. It’s a crappy paying job in a dying industry.
I guess I was referring more to coaches who vote. But who knows! A $25 Chipotle coupon could go. Long way with one of those poor sportswriters.

That’s your opinion.

I have my opinion
big-lebowski-the-dude.gif

Ha, 'critical thinking' on a fanatic sports forum? Well, for the most part, that's far and few between. That's about as common here as many folks' inability to compartmentalize and/or deciphering between passion and enthusiasm, et al vs. childish and juvenile behavior. See 'Fran's sideline demeanor' thread.

We aren’t sniffing the Top 25 unless we win the next two games. Pitt is an absolute must win, but even that may not get us in the polls by itself. Damn that Stanford game.
Beating Pitt at Pitt would have to get us in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom