AP / Coaches Polls (Sept 24) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

AP / Coaches Polls (Sept 24)

This message brought to by nitpickers anonymous.

I'm just visiting here, but since I point this out in years when Army gets votes (hey, it does happen!):

Points, not votes. At the extreme, 34 points could mean 1 first place vote and one 17th place vote. You laugh, but thats just as unlikely as 34 votes for 25th.

When voters are asked to rank 25 teams, there is no "#26," "#27," etc. While it is entirely possible that the team receiving the 26th highest point total might finish 26th if voters were asked to rank 26 teams, it is quite unlikely that the team receiving the 32nd highest point total would finish 32nd if voters were asked to rank 32 teams.

This message brought to by nitpickers anonymous.

Also, BEAT CLEMSON!

I dunno about that, it's going to be close. I feel like if Clemson wins, they'll probably get back into the top 25, but if we lose the narrative is going to be that it proves that Clemson is having a very bad down year, and we'll most likely end up around like 27th-30th. Hope we beat them and I'm wrong, but I think we have maybe a 25% chance of getting ranked at 5-0.

6-0 would get us in.

I think there’ll be enough teams with 1 loss after week 5 that it gives us a good shot.

I don’t know. I realize many here think these things don’t matter, but the spread was 13.5. If we beat the spread, again, for the fourth time this year, people stop betting against us and media pundits take notice. We made the idiots on College Game Day look intelligent (except Rece Davis who is so lacking any perspective of what we might be or have done so far that he picked against us straight up).
C’mon the voters are checking the spread and because our game was basically a push, depending on when someone bet on it, we will lose votes? And as far as Gameday, we could have won by 100 and all we would hear next weekend is we are a fraud and Clemson will beat us and just like last year we will fade after a good start blah blah blah. Our OOC was weak and we didn’t have one preseason vote anywhere, that is why we aren’t ranked yet.

C’mon the voters are checking the spread and because our game was basically a push, depending on when someone bet on it, we will lose votes? And as far as Gameday, we could have won by 100 and all we would hear next weekend is we are a fraud and Clemson will beat us and just like last year we will fade after a good start blah blah blah. Our OOC was weak and we didn’t have one preseason vote anywhere, that is why we aren’t ranked yet.
I agree that is how the CGD idiots would discuss it, but we wouldn’t be on the stupid refrigerator with Stanford Steve telling everyone to bet against us.

Voters will see that we did what we were expected to do, and even a little less, against another I ranked team. We need to do more that what is expected to gain respect because if we’re honest, not much is expected.

I dunno about that, it's going to be close. I feel like if Clemson wins, they'll probably get back into the top 25, but if we lose the narrative is going to be that it proves that Clemson is having a very bad down year, and we'll most likely end up around like 27th-30th. Hope we beat them and I'm wrong, but I think we have maybe a 25% chance of getting ranked at 5-0.

6-0 would get us in.
6-0 should get us in top 15

We need to establish a consistent winning culture and perception will change. Dropping 6 of our last 7 last year crushed us that way
I fully agree. I just want to reduce the opportunity for others to doubt the legitimacy of our early season success. Army won the Lambert in 2018 and 2020. Our last Lambert was 1992. These are opportunities to change the way others see us. It may not matter in a grand scheme (we still need to do damage in the ACC and IMO especially in the next three games, where we need to take one and can/should take two) but every little bit helps. Leave no meat on the bone.

It reminded me of the Shafer years. We'd get beat soundly but would score in garbage time to make the final score not look as bad.

lol, this was so what it was like. Then the Shafer apologists would use that as proof we were improving. “Once we did that all game we’d be going to bowls again”.

Fhruck it

Just go 12-0
1695587509521.gif

I could see that. But objectively, if we’re 5-0, our SOS takes a big jump up and we will have a better resume than a lot of teams in the 20s-25.
I am asking: doesn’t our SOS go down if a team we just played gets an additional loss.

I fully agree. I just want to reduce the opportunity for others to doubt the legitimacy of our early season success. Army won the Lambert in 2018 and 2020. Our last Lambert was 1992. These are opportunities to change the way others see us. It may not matter in a grand scheme (we still need to do damage in the ACC and IMO especially in the next three games, where we need to take one and can/should take two) but every little bit helps. Leave no meat on the bone.

92?!

Hard to believe we never won it once from 95-98. Or even 2001.

Army winning it in 2018 over us was a joke, though.

What is the perception? That Syracuse is only 3-0-1 against the spread so for some reason that means they’re not good? Ffs there’s a 0 in the loss column, that’s all that matters and if Syracuse beats Clemson this year then no one will give flying ef about the record against the spread
Voters will see that we did what we were expected to do, and even a little less, against another unranked team. We need to do more that what is expected to gain respect because if we’re honest, not much is expected.
It’s obvious that you don’t agree with this opinion. If keeping a zero in the loss column is all that matters, a drop in division would help accomplish that. If being respected at the highest level matters, we consistently need to do more. Just my opinion (and that of the voters I guess)

It’s obvious that you don’t agree with this opinion. If keeping a zero in the loss column is all that matters, a drop in division would help accomplish that. If being respected at the highest level matters, we consistently need to do more. Just my opinion (and that of the voters I guess)
Betting lines doesnt mean the team SHOULD do something (like win by 13), it shows what gets an average amount of funds on both sides for vegas.

And don’t be obtuse with the “drop in division” b.s. you know damn well that’s not what I, nor anyone else, means in this discussion. The point of a “zero in the loss column” is that if you can work through this conference with 0 losses on the season then your record ATS means nothing because you will be in the playoffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom