AP: FB schools to get $100M | Syracusefan.com

AP: FB schools to get $100M

If true, you are going to have several very weathy schools who still won't be able to date the pretty girls.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-big-east-football-164841850--ncaaf.html
I wouldn't say very wealthy, just a nice bonus. The article said that the "old" BE members like UConn will get most of the ~$100MM - how many schools are actually splitting that pie? Each could probably build a new IPF with the windfall, but they didn't suddenly become nouveau riche. They hit the big payout on a scratcher, and after one scotch bender they'll be back on box wine.

If true, you are going to have several very weathy schools who still won't be able to date the pretty girls.

The relevant portion:

"The football schools will receive approximately $100 million under the agreement, most of which will go to holdover members Connecticut, South Florida and Cincinnati.
"The basketball schools will receive $10 million, the Big East name and the right to play their conference tournament at Madison Square Garden."

My first question is: How long does the BE-MSG contract go? Could MSG have the right to re-open that contract at some point due to the major change in membership--the loss of LVille, RU, ND in addition to UConn (and maybe SU and Pitt also, if those 2 had not yet announced their intentions to leave at the time the current contract was agreed to).

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5471

MSG answer: Yes, MSG will reopen the contract. I think the C7 will get it...but the ACC might come in a few years down the road...maybe do it in MSG 33% of the time...I hope really 50% but the NC/SC/FL schools might balk.

The relevant portion:

"The football schools will receive approximately $100 million under the agreement, and the right to play their conference tournament on the Island of Misfit Toys

Fixed.

Let's assume the 4 holdovers get $22-23M each. That's less than what SU will make in 2 years in the ACC. That $23M won't last long, then it's $2M per year annually.

Let's assume the 4 holdovers get $22-23M each. That's less than what SU will make in 2 years in the ACC. That $23M won't last long, then it's $2M per year annually.
I think the holdovers will get that money spread out over the next 5 years or so, because a significant portion of it will be NCAA tournament units, which are paid out each year based upon numbers earned over the previous 6 tournaments.

Still scorches me that we will have to leave our tournament earnings behind, but that's part of the cost of relevance.

We will make more than them in two years, and that's including BIG EAST payouts. BY year 3 we've ever paid back the exit fee. By year 4, we've passed them, paid the exit fee, made money, and got a free indoor practice facility. I'm not too worried about a one time payment of $30 million.

We will make more than them in two years, and that's including BIG EAST payouts. BY year 3 we've ever paid back the exit fee. By year 4, we've passed them, paid the exit fee, made money, and got a free indoor practice facility. I'm not too worried about a one time payment of $30 million.
And that $30M will hardly be all out of the SU pocket. Rough math--$7.5M plus $250K times 12 units (not including this year's).
So, maybe $11M forfeited.

And that $30M will hardly be all out of the SU pocket. Rough math--$7.5M plus $250K times 12 units (not including this year's).
So, maybe $11M forfeited.
No, I didn't mean a one-time payment from SU to UCONN for $30 million, I meant a one-time payment from anyoen to a rival. I figure UCONN will get a gain of $30 million, we will have a loss of $11 million (plus this year), and they will make $2 million/yr in TV money, but we will make $17-19 million in TV money on average over the course of the next TV contract (right now its 17, but i think the renegotiatiosn will be 19-20). In 2 years, we will have made 34 million, and they will have made 34 million (plus we will have higher bowl/NCAA tourney/conference tourney payouts). By year 3, we will have covered the $11 million plus tourney credits and the tiem value of money and then some. Then the 17 million from year 4 will cover the IPF. Add in differences in conference post season payouts and we cover the 4 million BE TV payout for those two years. That $30 million seems like a lot, but if they stay in the yet to be named conference for 3 more years, then they still come out behind.

ACC doesn't need MSG. Brooklyn works - if they wanted NY.

If you take us away - I'd still be more excited to see that conf tourney than the C7/nBE.