AP: Fee up to $10M, BE will invite Boise, AF, Navy, UCF | Syracusefan.com

AP: Fee up to $10M, BE will invite Boise, AF, Navy, UCF

Once again, thank god that we are out of this cluster.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Seems reasonable on its face. What am I missing?

Right now they are at 6 FB and 8 BBall schools. With the addition of UCF it will be 7 to 8. I predict that the BBall will insist that they be even in numbers to FB. So the FB will have to add Temple (FB only) and one of ECU/Memphis to get to 4 FB onlies, 8 FB, 8 BBall or they can add SMU and Houston but the BBall schools get one more (Butler to add Indy). I think that is the most likely to happen. The BE needs markets and inventory to make money because they lack product. So we will see...

FB Only (3)- Boise St, Air Force, Navy
FB (9)- UConn, RU, WV, UL, Cincy, USF, UCF, SMU, Houston
BBall (9)- GTown, Nova, ND, Marq, St Johns, Seton Hall, PC, DePaul, Butler

Seems reasonable on its face. What am I missing?

What you are missing is the agreement of the target schools that the $10M exit fee is high enough to give the New New Big East the stability they are looking for. They are liable to see it as insufficiently high to really disuade anyone from jumping to the ACC or Big 12.

The ACC has a $25M exit fee. Are the NNBE schools pikers?

$10M sure wouldn't slow WVU down if it got a SEC invite.

It might be big enough to keep Rutgers since they gare already bleeding the student fund dry and have spent so much on a stadium expansion that they couldn't afford the lost revenue associated with playing Notre Dame in Giants Stadium.

I like this:
"An official in the Big East, speaking on condition of anonymity because the conference had not authorized anyone to speak publicly about its plans, told The Associated Press the invites could go out as soon as next week, but could take longer.

The officials also said Commissioner John Marinatto was in Cincinnati on Friday meeting with representatives from UCF.

Conferences do not publicly invite new members unless they are confident those invitations will be accepted."

No sooner does Marinatto get his plans together than someone in the organization blabs immediately to the press, as long as their identity is protected...

I'm sure the target schools are really happy about this...

Does Marinatto have even a modicum of control over any of this?

It's really putting a new meaning to the term "bush league".

I'd be very curious to know if the BE planned on going to 12 had SU and Pitt not left.

I know there was talk that Navy and Air Force were being discussed prior to our ACC announcement, but not sure how legit that was.

McMurphyCBS Brett McMurphy

Mountain West source "believes Boise, Air Force gone to Big East" @DennisDoddCBS reports bit.ly/p3TzjG

latestpic_normal.jpg

schadjoe Joe Schad

CUSA and MWC formally announce football "association"

mug_dodd_dennis_normal.jpg

dennisdoddcbs Dennis Dodd

CUSA, Mountain West expected to announce conference affiliation, not a formal merger. Conference call in 30 minutes.

BryanDFischer Bryan Fischer

22 team football "merger" for Conference USA/Mountain West.

BryanDFischer Bryan Fischer

"The two conferences will merge into a separate football-only entity without affecting their status within the NCAA structure."

Queue the musical chairs... :rolleyes:

Wonder if this gets the other Bigs and SEC in motion...

I doubt Louisville, WVU and UConn approve the increased exit fee because they want to leave if they can. I'll bet the Big 12 is pushing Mizzou for a decision because the pickin's are getting slim. But Mizzou has to wait on the SEC invite. So it's all up to the SEC. If they accept Mizzou-Mizzou will go. Then the Big 12 will go after the Ville and WVU plus one more. Then the BE is shot because no one would join then. Not Boise, not Navy-no one. So in my opinion it's up to the vote on the increased exit fee and the SEC and whether they want Mizzou.

ESPU Andy Katz just said that the Big East football schools will increase the deal to $10 million if and only if all four of the first offered schools accept together. This is not over... but we all know that. Interesting...

Big East football is dead. It will be a basketball conference only. But a very good basketball conference.