AP Poll #9 | Syracusefan.com

AP Poll #9

we should be very proud of our program. We lose 3 starters and the best 6th man in America and we're still preseason top 10.
Plus we are doing it mostly with guys who understudied, vs. a Fab 5 freshman type concoction (e.g. UK) .
fixed

I just find this to be the least intimidating preseason Top 5 in recent memory. Kentucky is the only team up there that I'm afraid of.
Can I ask why? On paper this is the least imposing UK team since Cal took over.

I don't think they'll be a Dream Team like last year, but they reload pretty well with Nerlens Noel, Alex Poythress and Archie Goodwin, all of whom are Top 15 recruits, and then another Top 40 guy in Willie Cauley.

I don't think they'll be a Dream Team like last year, but they reload pretty well with Nerlens Noel, Alex Poythress and Archie Goodwin, all of whom are Top 15 recruits, and then another Top 40 guy in Willie Cauley.
They will have talent, but young talent. I don't think that the peices fit together like last year though. I think they will struggle early, and improve over the course of the year.

Nothing about this UK team scares me. The zone would really hurt them.

Fear the tall white dude who can shoot. He will be your undoing. Withey is better than Matt Gorman and Ethan Cole put together. ;)

Fear the tall white dude who can shoot. He will be your undoing. Withey is better than Matt Gorman and Ethan Cole put together. ;)
Isn't it Wiltjer or something like that?

Isn't it Wiltjer or something like that?
It is.. Withy plays for Kansas and cant shoot for chit'. Wiltjer is their only y point threat, get out on him and they have nothing doing.

It is.. Withy plays for Kansas and cant shoot for chit'. Wiltjer is their only y point threat, get out on him and they have nothing doing.
You don't need to shoot with the dribble drive offense.

I just find this to be the least intimidating preseason Top 5 in recent memory. Kentucky is the only team up there that I'm afraid of.

I feel like in general teams look less imposing in pre-season now than they did in the past, because so many of the top teams are turning over so much of their roster. (Obviously UK is the poster child for this).

They won't be in the top 5 for long.

They don't have an a. Davis, an mkg, liggins or a Teague. Harrow is decent, Poythress and Goodwin are good, but this is a very serious decline over last years team.

They don't have an a. Davis, an mkg, liggins or a Teague. Harrow is decent, Poythress and Goodwin are good, but this is a very serious decline over last years team.

Possible, if not likely. Last year's team was awesome. I'm definitely not going to underrate UK, but the team 2 years ago was closer to 10th in the country than first. Maybe that is a better comparison for them than last year's team. (That team also made the final four, of course).

Considering i haven't seen them play one game yet and haven't seen most of their players play at the college level (and this is true for everyone else on the board as well) I can't really make a judgment on them. But I know the general sentiment on this board is anti Calipari and to downplay anything UK does.

I'm kinda surprised Indiana isn't getting more respect. They are #1 but they seem to be the type of #1 who people don't take seriously as the best team. They return a ton of talent, including one of the best players in country. What am I missing?

Possible, if not likely. Last year's team was awesome. I'm definitely not going to underrate UK, but the team 2 years ago was closer to 10th in the country than first. Maybe that is a better comparison for them than last year's team. (That team also made the final four, of course).

Considering i haven't seen them play one game yet and haven't seen most of their players play at the college level (and this is true for everyone else on the board as well) I can't really make a judgment on them. But I know the general sentiment on this board is anti Calipari and to downplay anything UK does.
We are anti Cal for a reason!

We are anti Cal for a reason!

The guy is almost certainly scummy, but I think sometimes that gets in the way of the evaluation of his team.

The guy is almost certainly scummy, but I think sometimes that gets in the way of the evaluation of his team.
I just don't think they will be any good THIS year (by Kentucky standards). I don't think Cal is a good enough coach to fit the pieces he has together this year.

You might be right, but I look at their incoming players, and it just seems to be lacking that Wall/Knight/Davis kind of impact player.

Even Noel is limited compared to Cals other OAD stars.

Also, Louisville is kind of like the opposite of Indiana for me. That's a team that I see at #2 in the poll and all I can think is "really"?

I just don't think they will be any good THIS year (by Kentucky standards). I don't think Cal is a good enough coach to fit the pieces together this year.

I'm guessing they won't be the best team in the country (though it's possible) but i bet they finish the season inside say the top 10 or 12 in Pomeory or Sagarin or whatever.

Also, Louisville is kind of like the opposite of Indiana for me. That's a team that I see at #2 in the poll and all I can think is "really"?

I'm guessing they won't be the best team in the country (though it's possible) but i bet they finish the season inside say the top 10 or 12 in Pomeory or Sagarin or whatever.
I wont argue that.

You might be right, but I look at their incoming players, and it just seems to be lacking that Wall/Knight/Davis kind of impact player.

Even Noel is limited compared to Cals other OAD stars.

It seems like you are right, though obviously we haven't really seen them play. I would say that I don't really put Knight anywhere close to the class of Davis or Wall. Knight was good, but those other 2 were incredible, especially Davis. I bet one of their freshmen is as good as Knight was.

I just noticed that there are only two BE teams in the Top 25. Louisville and Cincy. And they are really Big 12 teams, when you think about it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom