AP vs Coach’s poll | Syracusefan.com

AP vs Coach’s poll

David332

All American
B969283A-74D4-4DDC-B18B-9DAB9FFF4000.jpeg
Obviously this is subjective, but in your opinion, does ranking in the coach’s poll count as being ranked in your opinion? In mine it does, and apparently in SU’s as well.

Back in the day, ESPN/ABC used to use the Coaches Poll ranking in their graphics and CBS/NBC would use the AP poll ranking. But maybe 5 years ago (just a guess), all the networks switched exclusively to the AP Poll.

So obviously it's nice being ranked in the Coaches, but the AP is really where it's at. That's what will get attention.

Back in the day, ESPN/ABC used to use the Coaches Poll ranking in their graphics and CBS/NBC would use the AP poll ranking. But maybe 5 years ago (just a guess), all the networks switched exclusively to the AP Poll.

So obviously it's nice being ranked in the Coaches, but the AP is really where it's at. That's what will get attention.
Yeah

I think once the BCS went away, so did the coaches Poll on ESPN / ABC.

You know why the media uses the AP poll? It’s the media poll. Hell, I know more than most of the media. In theory the coaches poll should be far superior. As long as the coaches do the voting which has been questioned of some in the past.

I like whatever one ranks us highest, and am not satisfied until we show in both polls. The only one anyone should care about is the CFP poll once that is released.

My spin based on being higher ranked in either poll.

If we are ranked higher in the coaches pill:

Coaches poll: Of course this is more legit, the coaches who actually know the game are voting.

AP poll: These dweebs have never strapped on a helmet, how in the hell can they know what they are talking about.

If we are ranked higher in the AP poll:

Coaches poll: The coaches cannot possibly watch all the games, their sample size is too small and they favor the same schools every year.

AP poll: of course this poll is more legit, these guys watch every game from Thurs- Sat. They can easily compare and contrast between the best teams in the land.

My spin based on being higher ranked in either poll.

If we are ranked higher in the coaches pill:

Coaches poll: Of course this is more legit, the coaches who actually know the game are voting.

AP poll: These dweebs have never strapped on a helmet, how in the hell can they know what they are talking about.

If we are ranked higher in the AP poll:

Coaches poll: The coaches cannot possibly watch all the games, their sample size is too small and they favor the same schools every year.

AP poll: of course this poll is more legit, these guys watch every game from Thurs- Sat. They can easily compare and contrast between the best teams in the land.
It’s nonsense either way. Team A wins so they move up. Team B loses so they move down. A monkey could do it. Even the hardcore football media guys are not watching every college football game. Computer rankings suck because the sample sizes are too small, but they are better than this half-assed subjectivity of the AP and Coaches polls.

If we aren't ranked in both polls, then we aren't ranked. Tough love

And once the committee pole comes out after week 8, that's all anyone cares about.

You know why the media uses the AP poll? It’s the media poll. Hell, I know more than most of the media. In theory the coaches poll should be far superior. As long as the coaches do the voting which has been questioned of some in the past.
I saw one argument that I think legitimately favors the media. The coaches only have enough time to pay attention to their own team and the team they're playing. How can they know what's going on with everyone else? The media can at least watch multiple games each weekend.

The coaches poll also come with politics. Coaches tend to vote for their conference brethren to help out with strength of schedule, bowls, etc.
True but I think that both come with built in biases. Personally I miss the computers. No non sense.

True but I think that both come with built in biases. Personally I miss the computers. No non sense.
I don't miss the computers. There is an eye test factor that simple numbers will miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom