Apologies to former players...especially Troy Nunes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Apologies to former players...especially Troy Nunes

What about HCSMFSS? I have to foot note nunes magician on that though.
I like HNHCSS better. Not as hard to figure out, incorporates the Shafer slogan.

My point was from a cultural standpoint. As I said "it appears" which displays that I was showing my perception (i.e not fact) We have heard from numerous former players that there was much less structure, and the expectations were not the same under GROB as they were under HCDM. There have also been many reports of players getting away with behavioral things that would not fly. Why don't I say it this way, my impression of the culture was that we were not being run in a manner that I saw as leading us to be a winning program.

Also to say that my statement is "dangerous" is laughable specifically when I note that it is on perception(appearance) alone.

it is on perception? can you name 1 person who has ever said that our off the field actions were among the worst in the country?

I have never heard that. Perception wise, it actually got worse under Marrone than it did GROB. At least that is when it landed us on the 'Fulmer list' on Nunes.

it is on perception? can you name 1 person who has ever said that our off the field actions were among the worst in the country?

I have never heard that. Perception wise, it actually got worse under Marrone than it did GROB. At least that is when it landed us on the 'Fulmer list' on Nunes.

Ugh. He's talking about work ethic, focus and a winner's mentality. Not how warm and fuzzy the coach makes the former players feel.

Ugh. He's talking about work ethic, focus and a winner's mentality. Not how warm and fuzzy the coach makes the former players feel.

I haven't talked once about treatment of former players. At this point, you are just arguing to argue.

I dunno, Marinovich's Hookah bar is a prime example of the soft culture that festered under Grob. Alot of discipline issues were just swept under the rug like the equipment room break-in. Sure players got in trouble under DM but the staff no longer turned a blind eye. Players were held accountable for their off the field actions with Marrone, not so much with "I think I can".

Not at all.

Sent using my Commodore 64
So bees, do you know for a fact that Marrone told at least one player, "Pack your bags, you are not wanted here any more." And I don't mean a disciplinary action.

That is, a player was not told, "You probably won't see the field, but if you work hard you can stay, get your degree, and maybe you can work your way into the 2-deep." Told flat out, "Leave, you are not wanted."

So bees, do you know for a fact that Marrone told at least one player, "Pack your bags, you are not wanted here any more." And I don't mean a disciplinary action.

That is, a player was not told, "You probably won't see the field, but if you work hard you can stay, get your degree, and maybe you can work your way into the 2-deep." Told flat out, "Leave, you are not wanted."

I think they were told that they weren't in the staff's plans and if you want to play you should look elsewhere, but I don't think they yanked anyone's scholarship for other than behaviorial issues.

Not at all.

Sent using my Commodore 64

You're right.

Players who could not tolerate the rules and the training regime chose to leave - or as Go has indicated chose to leave when they were told that they were not going to play.

And that's the end of that story.

It's a BS issue.

Yes, 8-9 of them. 1 pushed back with the University and ended up staying for reasons I won't disclose.

He turned the program around and we should be indebted to him for that. But he came in like an ass and went out like an ass. There are different ways to accomplish what you want.

Marrone is literally Pinochet
That's so absurd, and absolutely got me to do a spit take. My wife does not thank you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. He told everyone exactly where they stood, and those who didn't like what they heard moved on. He also dismissed people for breaking rules, there was a reason for everything. And it changed the culture dramatically. That first season was tough but it set the tone. Doug handled it as well as he could be expected to.

Yes but some who were on the cut list had a lot shorter leash on the rules than the stars.

This was a weird problem during the tail end of the Bowden era at FSU, although we didn't really find out about it until after when Jimbo started mending all the fences. Then we started hearing stories about all time great players calling in to make arrangements for a visit and tickets, and not having their phone calls returned. Forget about anything proactive to involve former players.

I don't think it was ever and intentional snub at FSU, just not a priority at all, and it was CRAZY. Miami has always had their former players repping the program, and had them on the sidelines and around the program. It was a huge aspect of their aura when they were successful. Obviously, there can be negative effects and it has to be monitored better than Miami did, but that is a huge thing for fans and prospects. And hell, a lot of those former players become big time donors.

It's simply a part of running a big time program in todays day and age, you have to keep those doors open, and actively maintain those relationships. FSU is taking an active position on that finally, and hopefully it pays off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom