Arbs--Can we get an ACC Network Update? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Arbs--Can we get an ACC Network Update?

The ACC isn't going to expand its conference schedule. Florida State and Clemson don't want 9 games with the ND deal. Thus, the conference won't expand to 9 games.

ESPN will not invest a penny in the network carriage fight without the ACC buying back its 3rd tier rights from Fox. That would be a nonstarter for ESPN.

Taking shots at Arb is not right. The guy brought info to the board. While most of the stuff he posted was from stuff in the media he never held himself out as this insider.

His info was good as it brought the information out there to the attention of SU fans.

If he posted stuff it did tend to drive interest.

Please he pretended to be an insider from the very beginning. And his "proof" of his insiderness was always public articles.

The ACC isn't going to expand its conference schedule. Florida State and Clemson don't want 9 games with the ND deal. Thus, the conference won't expand to 9 games.

ESPN will not invest a penny in the network carriage fight without the ACC buying back its 3rd tier rights from Fox. That would be a nonstarter for ESPN.

They could work around that and have the ND's count as ACC games for the teams that play ND that year. However ND would have to agree the a 6th game for that to work out.

They could work around that and have the ND's count as ACC games for the teams that play ND that year. However ND would have to agree the a 6th game for that to work out.
NBC has a contract for ND's home football games. They will never count as ACC games they are NBC ND games.

Even if ND gave the ACC a 6th game it wouldn't matter. First NBC would own the rights to ND FB replays. Second, ESPN is not going to spend an ounce of power in fighting these carriers to put an ACC network on their cable providers basic tier unless the ACC gives ESPN all the 3rd tier rights.

Until the ACC buys back those rights from Raycom and Fox an ACCN is never going to happen.

NBC has a contract for ND's home football games. They will never count as ACC games they are NBC ND games.

Even if ND gave the ACC a 6th game it wouldn't matter. First NBC would own the rights to ND FB replays. Second, ESPN is not going to spend an ounce of power in fighting these carriers to put an ACC network on their cable providers basic tier unless the ACC gives ESPN all the 3rd tier rights.

Until the ACC buys back those rights from Raycom and Fox an ACCN is never going to happen.

You are missing the point. You were talking about increased inventory, where you not? Well going to 9 games would do that, would it not? Teams will not want to play 9 ACC games and ND. So if you count the ND games as ACC games for conference standing only (not TV), would that not solve the problem? In addition, currently there are only 2 ACC ND TV games every other year. Getting a 6th game gives the ACC ND TV 3 games EVERY year. That is worth more money. And by adding a 9th ACC game it creates another 4 in conference games per year, which again is more money.

I agree that the ACCN would need to get the rights back for it to be successful. I was commenting on the UVA fans proposal.

You are missing the point. You were talking about increased inventory, where you not? Well going to 9 games would do that, would it not? Teams will not want to play 9 ACC games and ND. So if you count the ND games as ACC games for conference standing only (not TV), would that not solve the problem? In addition, currently there are only 2 ACC ND TV games every other year. Getting a 6th game gives the ACC ND TV 3 games EVERY year. That is worth more money. And by adding a 9th ACC game it creates another 4 in conference games per year, which again is more money.

I agree that the ACCN would need to get the rights back for it to be successful. I was commenting on the UVA fans proposal.

Going to more conference games would probably reduce inventory. It's not just conference games that are sold, it's all home games for conference members. Right now, probably 60-70% of the OOC games that would be replaced by a 9th ACC game are home games. That means turning those into conference games reduces inventory.

Plus, whatever road OOC games that are replaced would likely be big OOC matchups, because the ACC plays a ton of those. So in many circumstances, you would be replacing say:

Virginia vs. Richmond
Syracuse vs. Western Michigan

With:

Syracuse at Virginia

Is Syracuse at Virginia big enough to be worth reducing the inventory by a game? Frankly, the ACC doesn't have enough really attractive football games to really see the benefits of losing inventory in my opinion. For every Clemson vs. Miami or FSU vs. VT game that would happen more often, there's an awful lot of NC State vs Pitt, BC vs Virginia, Miami vs. Wake that would be happening, that would draw a few hundred thousand viewers on ESPN News at noon. Is that worth reducing game inventory?

Considering that there are not very many marquee ACC matchups to be made by a 9th game, consider the other scenario that could be replaced over two years, because the lost OOC won't just be walk-overs, it will also reduce the premier OOC games the ACC currently plays:

Virginia vs. Richmond
Clemson @ Auburn

Virginia @ BYU
Clemson vs. Auburn

With:
Virginia @ Clemson
Clemson @ Virginia

In this scenario, it's a one for one trade. ESPN had one game each year, and they still have one game each year. But they lose that Clemson-Auburn game (and the Virginia-BYU game if you play it out a further year). Is that a net win for ESPN or the ACC? You don't reduce inventory, but I think you reduce the value of the ACC by losing a true national marquee game in Clemson-Auburn for another ho hum ACC game nobody will watch.

There are scenarios you could draw up that would increase the slate's attractiveness somewhat (if you FORCED schools to replace a bought win game), many that would decrease the slate's attractiveness, and none where you could avoid reducing pure inventory of games. I just don't think there's any value to be had there.

No, when and if the ACC ever got really premier football, and had 6-7 teams ranked on a regular basis, then I think you could make the case that a slight reduction in inventory could be worth it because there would be more "big games" from a national perspective created. If a day comes when you have 2-3 games in the ACC every week that could carry a national ABC or primetime ESPN game, then there might be a little juice in a 9th conference game for ESPN.

However, a 9th conference game, being a zero sum game, directly works AGAINST getting teams ranked highly, so even that is a stretch.

I'm not ARB, but something to report is that NC State is soliciting proposals for a company to design a new on campus studio for them meeting the standards of the upcoming ACC Network. If any of you know someone here that would like to bid on the project, here is the link:

https://facilities.ofa.ncsu.edu/category/ads/

There is a bidders meeting on March 30, and they want the bid by April 11. So that tends to indicate that they know who they want to win. Completion is by Spring of 2018.

Kind of interesting that it mentions the "upcoming ACC network". While Swofford and the ACC get criticism, if Wes Durham, now with Raycom but former long-time voice of GT athletics (as Gene Deckerhoff is with FSU), is right the Conference was very smart to insert a reported clause that ESPN will pay $3 million per school per year (for all 15 schools) in the absence of a network, and ESPN giving up $45 million per year for "nothing" would seem strange. In a recent interview (about 6 months ago), Swofford did mention either a network or "increased rights fees".

And now the real reason for cable cutting and cord shaving: just like the "video killed the radio star" song, HD TV is killing the cable/satellite TV companies. I put an amplified indoor TV antenna next to our 50 inch plasma TV and get 25 channels from a city 20 miles from us; 8 are in high definition and all 25 are completely clear. If I pay Comcast for basic cable TV I may get more channels but none of them are in HD; you pay a premium for HD service. Broadcast channels received by indoor TV antennas are "crystal clear" unlike the old analog broadcast standard. "Pixelization" is a rare occurrence with a decent signal. Also, frankly this national economy is not as good as the ruling political parties claim so people are cutting costs sensibly.

Last edited:

ND already has turned down the ACC's offer of a sixth game in return for a "protected" annual game versus Pitt or BC.

How would 9 ACC games increase inventory? It would break even. When 2 ACC team play each other, the conference airs 1 game. When 2 ACC teams play 2 other P5 teams, the conference airs 1 game and another conference airs 1 game (on average).

Increasing ACC games would cut down on OOC flexibility (bad), but increase in-conference familiarity (good).

I'm not sure that it would do too much more.

How would 9 ACC games increase inventory? It would break even. When 2 ACC team play each other, the conference airs 1 game. When 2 ACC teams play 2 other P5 teams, the conference airs 1 game and another conference airs 1 game (on average).

Increasing ACC games would cut down on OOC flexibility (bad), but increase in-conference familiarity (good).

I'm not sure that it would do too much more.

Also, it takes away the FSU's, Clemson's, etc...the ability to get another home game every other year.

Kind of interesting that it mentions the "upcoming ACC network". While Swofford and the ACC get criticism, if Wes Durham, now with Raycom but former long-time voice of GT athletics (as Gene Deckerhoff is with FSU), is right the Conference was very smart to insert a reported clause that ESPN will pay $3 million per school per year (for all 15 schools) in the absence of a network, and ESPN giving up $45 million per year for "nothing" would seem strange. In a recent interview (about 6 months ago), Swofford did mention either a network or "increased rights fees".

And now the real reason for cable cutting and cord shaving: just like the "video killed the radio star" song, HD TV is killing the cable/satellite TV companies. I put an amplified indoor TV antenna next to our 50 inch plasma TV and get 25 channels from a city 20 miles from us; 8 are in high definition and all 25 are completely clear. If I pay Comcast for basic cable TV I may get more channels but none of them are in HD; you pay a premium for HD service. Broadcast channels received by indoor TV antennas are "crystal clear" unlike the old analog broadcast standard. "Pixelization" is a rare occurrence with a decent signal. Also, frankly this national economy is not as good as the ruling political parties claim so people are cutting costs sensibly.

Psst, it's been that way for 15 years.

Also, it takes away the FSU's, Clemson's, etc...the ability to get another home game every other year.
Yep. Pretty much a no go for both schools.