Archbold Stadium - the last game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Archbold Stadium - the last game

This conversation brings to mind the Dome changes. Any seat replacements, and one would hope we’d be able to get our hands on a bench section. And I also mentioned to Wildhack that upon roof job, that selling or auctioning off small pieces of the current roof would be both great for fans, and a fundraiser for the AD.

Would love a piece of the roof and maybe one of those corner sections where it's 4-5 seats on the bench.

You can see all the orange boards in this pick, as well as random concrete chunks. To the left is the program, and in the little glass jelly jar is blue grass from the end zone.
5D46433A-DD28-425C-BE8A-4A4EF3DFDD47.jpeg

In a lot of ways it was a better world then
Not better just we really didn’t know much about that world. Today with the cell phone cameras internet 4000 tv channels Facebook twitter etc we are exposed to all

I was also there that day. The place was a zoo after the game ended. i not only wondered how those people were going to get the planks and bars they were walking off with through the gates but how where they going to get them home in their car? And what were they going to do with them?

I was not at that football game, but I was still living in Syracuse. I moved to NYC a couple of months later, and I remember one of the last things I did when I came back to bring my car down to NY, was to drive by Archbold and see it being torn down. I never got to see the dome until 1988 when my husband and I were living in Toronto, and came down for a basketball game against Michigan. We stayed at the Sheraton, which did not exist when I was at SU. And we went to Faegan's with my kid's babysitter who was a sophomore, and I got carded. I was 34, and so excited to get carded. Back to the Archbold drive by. I had grown up on Syracuse football, having attended one or two games a year with my parents starting in 1959 or 1960. So Archbold represented everything that Syracuse was to me. It is why I chose to attend school there, and I never missed a game in the years I was a student 1972-1976. We were really bad then. We went 5-6, then only won 2 game the next 2 years, and then we went 6-5. I didn't go to many games in the couple of years after I graduated so I was not at that last game that I remember, because I don't remember them tearing everything down. I think I went to M street after though.

Hi all,

I've been lurking this forum for years now. This thread subject came up, and it was too topical to not sign up and reply.

I bought my current house in Baldwinsville in 2010. The previous owner, who had passed, was a massive Cuse fan, and a lot of his memorabilia was left behind in the house when I moved in.

This here is the crown jewel. It is a 4-seat section of what I assume is bleacher seating, in excellent condition. It has a small plaque in the center which reads: "Nov. 11, 1978 / Syracuse 20 Navy 17 / Last Game At Archbold Stadium / 1907-1978"

I don't know if this kind of thing is at all common, but it's very unique, and something I'm sure a lot of people on this forum would be interested in. So I guess I'm shamelessly shilling this thing -- I am open to selling it. I'm also curious if anyone else has something like this. I've had it for 8 years now, and it probably deserves a better home. Open to any offers.

Matt

Attachments

• 20181209_155450.jpg
    20181209_155450.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • 20181209_155444.jpg
    20181209_155444.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
My neighbors from across the street grabbed some orange and blue grass from the end zone as well as some pieces of wood. I have no idea what that would be from. That might’ve been green, but I’m not sure. My dad took me to Cornell the following year to see SU play BC as a road home game.
Some parts of the stadium had wooden bleachers. That's what the green wood was. People were literally sawing them up that day. Not sure who brought the saws or how they got them in, but they did. Crazy day.

I remember going to that game at Cornell, too. I believe one of the officials collapsed on the field during that game with a heart attack. I think he survived, but am not certain.

Nobody gonna share the goalpost story? Come on.

I was at the game. The night before, a bunch of my fraternity brothers and I climbed up and got ahold of the “welcome to archbold stadium 1914” sign, but police were nearby and saw us and made us give it back. Then after the game a fraternity brother pledge came back from the game bloody and with a big section of the goalpost. Some policeman still has that sign no doubt. Argh

Some parts of the stadium had wooden bleachers. That's what the green wood was. People were literally sawing them up that day. Not sure who brought the saws or how they got them in, but they did. Crazy day.

I remember going to that game at Cornell, too. I believe one of the officials collapsed on the field during that game with a heart attack. I think he survived, but am not certain.
To show you how much times have changed, the powers that be let people take tools to the game.

People had saws, crowbars, hammers and at least one guy brought a sledgehammer! It was a most unusual game to attend.

To show you how much times have changed, the powers that be let people take tools to the game.

People had saws, crowbars, hammers and at least one guy brought a sledgehammer! It was a most unusual game to attend.

Well, it was the 70's. :rolleyes:

Imagine trying to find a clear plastic bag for your saw.

For some reason, it has stuck in my mind that one enterprising soul brought a chainsaw. But might just be urban myth.

This was my first game as many noted above. As I mentioned in other threads, my parents had season tickets and my dad worked that Saturday and had my mom bring me to the game. I was 7. I totally remember the saws and people destroying everything they could get their hands on. I had a piece of that green bench in my basement for years. Sadly I lost track of it over the years, but great memories.

I vividly remember a guy with a pick axe.

Another memory I recall from this game was during Frank Maloney's pre-game pep speech and hearing the dogs barking in a kennel located above the CUSE locker room in Archbold. Many of the younger guys were saying to each other that we can't wait for the Dome to be built so we didn't have to listen to this BS every home game.

Another memory I recall from this game was during Frank Maloney's pre-game pep speech and hearing the dogs barking in a kennel located above the CUSE locker room in Archbold. Many of the younger guys were saying to each other that we can't wait for the Dome to be built so we didn't have to listen to this BS every home game.
I checked out Archbold Gym when I was a freshman and found my way to the locker room used by visiting teams there that featured a spiral staircase to a tunnel that led to Archbold Stadium.

It was pretty small and kind of non-descript but at least the walls weren't pink.

I checked out Archbold Gym when I was a freshman and found my way to the locker room used by visiting teams there that featured a spiral staircase to a tunnel that led to Archbold Stadium.

It was pretty small and kind of non-descript but at least the walls weren't pink.
If I recall, Joe Paterno told the SU AD that they will not play the Cuse anymore because of Archbold and especially because of the spiral staircase leading to field. Must of made Bruce Clark and Matt Millen mad for they both kicked butt in ‘77, a game Cuse was in till the end. 31 - 24 PSU!

If I recall, Joe Paterno told the SU AD that they will not play the Cuse anymore because of Archbold and especially because of the spiral staircase leading to field. Must of made Bruce Clark and Matt Millen mad for they both kicked butt in ‘77, a game Cuse was in till the end. 31 - 24 PSU!
We played Penn State each year until 1990. At that point, Paterno ended the series by demanding Penn State play more home games than Syracuse in the next schedule contract. I think he demanded to play 6 in their cow fields to 4 at the Dome over a 10 game span.

He was reportedly already knowingly enabling a kid molester when he threw away that series to make a few more dollars.

At least he was consistent on that front.

And they scored late (IIRC) due in part to an iffy PI call (either on Hawkins or Harvey - I don't remember which one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom