are there any JB defenders left? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

are there any JB defenders left?

Pitt is a bubble team. We are arguing over being able to be a bubble team? I thought we were talking about reloading and being successful.

This does not support your argument.
You’re a deeply unserious person convinced your own opinion is gospel absent any semblance of evidence.

Pitt is a likely 10 seed and first in the ACC. I agree, but at this point I’ll take it. Pretty much every top team relies on multiple impact starters or top 7 rotation players who are transfers. How about Texas, Arizona, Alabama, UVA, Kansas St, Miami, Xavier, Providence, SD St, Gonzaga, etc? That’s like 40% of the top 25 right there. Not exactly rare. Most of these teams get 1-3 impact freshmen and round out the rest of the team with various transfers. In the last two years, JAB went out and got Jimmy and two deep bench projects for mediocre or losing teams.

Playing the transfer portal is absolutely part of roster management of most successful teams these days.

It would be better for JB if it was his last year.

Hitting the portal and filling the roster with all new player will not work playing the zone. The zone needs players to work together and move as one. Won’t teach that in time.

You’re a deeply unserious person convinced your own opinion is gospel absent any semblance of evidence.

Pitt is a likely 10 seed and first in the ACC. I agree, but at this point I’ll take it. Pretty much every top team relies on multiple impact starters or top 7 rotation players who are transfers. How about Texas, Arizona, Alabama, UVA, Kansas St, Miami, Xavier, Providence, SD St, Gonzaga, etc? That’s like 40% of the top 25 right there. Not exactly rare. Most of these teams get 1-3 impact freshmen and round out the rest of the team with various transfers. In the last two years, JAB went out and got Jimmy and two deep bench projects for mediocre or losing teams.

Playing the transfer portal is absolutely part of roster management of most successful teams these days.

I’m sorry teams usually don’t reload their primary production with transfers (the argument I made) and you want that to be a thing that is true that they do. Is that a douchey enough reply to your douchey comment?

If you want to have a serious discussion about this, we certainly can. If you want to attack me instead of the point, we can just go our separate ways on this one.

For future reference, how do I go about stating an opinion without it sounding like ‘gospel?’ Should I use “I think” and “imo” more? Genuinely curious.

Last edited:
There are 100% still JB supporters out there. Theyre waiting until we win a game again to speak up
I post win or loss. There are issues, which everyone will admit. However you guys look at this roster and think they were doing anything this year was comical. Last year was supposed to be a tournament year on paper. They fell apart. This year was supposed to be a bridge year into 2023-24, but the freshman outside of Judah have not developed as thought. Add to that the seniors not taking that leadership role on the court and you see the mess whenever they play and in the W/L column.

Just got smoked by one last night. Super rare.
No truer words were ever spoken! Pitt smoked us! I think Pitt is a bit more of an exception by reloading through the portal. Most teams go out and find the one or two critical pieces they need to complement the returning players. This is different than the Pitt reload. If we tried to add portal players and JB continues to play the 2/3 zone, then it takes time for the players to learn the zone. We sort of experienced that with Andrew White and John Gillon a few years back. Bottom line...we are not getting the quality players we successfully recruited in the past. The college basketball world has changed and our coach finds it difficult to live with the changes. I agree with others, time for JB to go.

I’ll field this one since I’m sure I count as a JB defender.

My vote going into the season was for him to leave after next year. So, the chasm between his defenders and haters or realists is roughly one whole season.

I wouldn’t mind either way if he leaves now or after next season. I don’t see him staying any longer than that.

No matter what happens, we’ll probably be mediocre for another 10 years or so.
10 years? I’ll take that bet

Why?

Hyperbole. The point I’ve been beating to death is that there are as many or more examples of coaching changes going real bad than good. Which is not an argument that JB should not be gone soon.

Hyperbole. The point I’ve been beating to death is that there are as many or more examples of coaching changes going real bad than good. Which is not an argument that JB should not be gone soon.

Which is precisely why we need to do a coaching search based upon full due diligence, instead of just promoting someone from within because "legacy." That's the best way to make the best effort to avoid being one of those examples.

Change brings risk, but it also brings opportunity. I'm tired of the "be careful what you wish for" arguments.

Which is precisely why we need to do a coaching search based upon full due diligence, instead of just promoting someone from within because "legacy." That's the best way to make the best effort to avoid being one of those examples.

Change brings risk, but it also brings opportunity. I'm tired of the "be careful what you wish for" arguments.

I’m in favor of an outside hire

I almost guarantee that Bennett would have this team With 20+ wins. Oats also.
I’m not sure. Bennet’s offense is worse than ours. They looked dreadful their last two games, losing to two non tournament teams in BC and NC.

I almost guarantee that Bennett would have this team With 20+ wins. Oats also.

Both recruit for a system and both systems need shooters. I’m less confident than you are.

i dont read this board as much as i used to (having a 3 yr old will do that) , but in the past whenever boeheim got criticized or soneone wanted him gone there were always posters running to his defense saying “ he built syracuse basketball, hes in the hall of fame, we made the final 4 recently, he deserves to leave whenever he wants, youll be sorry when hes gone, etc etc”

surely theres not any of those people left is there?? even the most committed jb defenders have gotta admit his a$$ has gotsta go.

and dont call me surely.
Count me as one, not that he needs defending, just don't bad mouth the man near me. He is a legend and even though the end is near and is not the ending I would have scripted for him I have a huge appreciation for the body of work. I cannot imagine there ever being a coach giving so much of his life and effort to one institution. I will be sad when he leaves, I hope it is of his own accord. I hope his replacement enjoys some of the success he did. I root for both the man and the laundry.

I’ll field this one since I’m sure I count as a JB defender.

My vote going into the season was for him to leave after next year. So, the chasm between his defenders and haters or realists is roughly one whole season.

I wouldn’t mind either way if he leaves now or after next season. I don’t see him staying any longer than that.

No matter what happens, we’ll probably be mediocre for another 10 years or so.
It doesn't have to be that way. A go getter as a coach. With $$ behind them, we can turn this around quickly. The league isn't the old Big East. There is an opening like the one Calhoun went through when Rollie and John and Louie were at the end of the line. Just need the right general to make it happen.

Count me as one, not that he needs defending, just don't bad mouth the man near me. He is a legend and even though the end is near and is not the ending I would have scripted for him I have a huge appreciation for the body of work. I cannot imagine there ever being a coach giving so much of his life and effort to one institution. I will be sad when he leaves, I hope it is of his own accord. I hope his replacement enjoys some of the success he did. I root for both the man and the laundry.
The school has also been very loyal to him. We went on probation not once but twice and there was never any talk about him getting fired. Both sides have been loyal. Jb is a wealthy man because of this arrangement.

I'm a defender of his coaching skills. I think he is brilliant. I'm not a defender of how he handles the press and his inability to change. If Jim had embraced using multiple Ds this year, we would have more wins. The zone has become a shooting gallery for opposing teams. the minute Pitt or any team started to figure the zone out and drain open 3s he should be switching to man.
At this point his stubborn ego is ruining his coaching brilliance. It's time for him to go.
The zone is not a good fit for today's style of basketball. JB refuses to change and adapt.

i dont read this board as much as i used to (having a 3 yr old will do that) , but in the past whenever boeheim got criticized or soneone wanted him gone there were always posters running to his defense saying “ he built syracuse basketball, hes in the hall of fame, we made the final 4 recently, he deserves to leave whenever he wants, youll be sorry when hes gone, etc etc”

surely theres not any of those people left is there?? even the most committed jb defenders have gotta admit his a$$ has gotsta go.

and dont call me surely.
You're throwing in a bs last sentence. I'm sure someone has said it but most people who think think you can't fire him don't think we will be sorry when he's gone

Everyone is in such a tizzy that they're misrepresenting people

You can't fire a legend for going.500

I’m not sure. Bennet’s offense is worse than ours. They looked dreadful their last two games, losing to two non tournament teams in BC and NC.
I would be thrilled to take Bennet's results over the last 8-10 years versus ours