Are we better with Hima out there over McLeod? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are we better with Hima out there over McLeod?

The correct answer is...today we were. Hima makes our frontline deeper. Even last year in his limited minutes he had a knack for making plays. Can he contribute 10+ minutes? TBD, or possibly not. He's still the 3rd C and matchups will matter. He does seem a little more aggressive than Naheem.

Naheem is thinking too much. His reflexes seemed a bit slow lately. Maybe he's had a cold or something. He looked sluggish and a bit out of it.
There is no defensive three seconds in college. they should just tell him to play a one man zone under the rim. just be around the bucket dude. who cares where your man goes. 90 percent of college big men cant shoot anyway

Matt Park said on the radio broadcast that Red said Hima’s body has given out on him. Whatever they get is what they can get. And it’s not like it’s an injury that gets better supposedly. He’s just very limited physically.

Don't know if it's injuries or what...but Mcleod is painfully slow.
Even on the opening jumpball, he has been beat in the last 2 games.
Right now, for whatever reason, he is a liability on both ends of the floor.

RED saw it and brought in Hima...CUSE pulled away.

There were at least two occasions when a Gtown player broke free from his defender, and drove to the basket with McLeod standing to the other side of the basket. He did nothing, no movement toward the player-nothing, to stop the easy bucket. He stood flat-footed watching the ball go in the basket. WTH??
There was a drop off pass to Cook where McLeod just watched him go up for a dunk. No contest or anything and Red yanked him for the rest of the game.

IMO, we are better when both come to play and we get them the ball in true scoring position for each!

Don't know if it's injuries or what...but Mcleod is painfully slow.
Even on the opening jumpball, he has been beat in the last 2 games.
Right now, for whatever reason, he is a liability on both ends of the floor.

RED saw it and brought in Hima...CUSE pulled away.
Red saw that the matchups yesterday warranted a quick change. It won't necessarily be that way in other games. And he brought in Brown at that point, not Hima. He went to Hima after Brown got in foul trouble.

Absolutely disagree

Edit: and this isn't to say I think Hima moves well
yeah mcleods mvement is the worst part of his game

physically slow and mentally slower

IF he is in position, he is a GREAT shot blocker...one of the best ive seen. and he is coordinated. he finsihes well.

but his problem is he doesnt understand what to prioritize strategically...often making plays easier for opponents than they should be...which is killer for a defense.

that and also he is often near the play but not close enough...somehow despite being in the vicinity, not making the play. very frequently.

It is a failure of epic proportions that we lost Jesse to WVU. That’s my last hit on this dead horse.
Failure of epic proportions? In the end, he wanted to try something new in his last season. Lots of really good players are doing that these days.

Matt Park said on the radio broadcast that Red said Hima’s body has given out on him. Whatever they get is what they can get. And it’s not like it’s an injury that gets better supposedly. He’s just very limited physically.

Oh, boy. So we have another DuJuan Coleman on our hands.

Failure of epic proportions? In the end, he wanted to try something new in his last season. Lots of really good players are doing that these days.
Maybe so but our NIL was jacked up and lead to a wondering eye. Our team is once again donut with nothing in the middle.

Hima looked pretty badly injured vs Gonzaga from up close in Hawaii.

McLeod hate is moronic he’s swatted a ton of shots so far and done good vs big bruisers. He’s not Edwards or a reliable 30 min per night player but he can score inside and defend the rim and hits free throws. Isn’t he top 10 in the country BPG or was?

Turns it over when doubled and you can’t ask too much from him but same goes for Hima.

Browns gonna eat most of the minutes at the 5 anyways most nights.

What does that even mean? His body gives out on him? I don’t get what that could be.

What does that even mean? His body gives out on him? I don’t get what that could be.
Your guess is as good as mine. I’m just relaying what was in the radio broadcast to try and temper the expectations for Hima to have a larger role.

The post game press conference, Red said that McLeod was hurt (foot I believe) and told coach he couldn’t really go in the second half. Red also said this particular game was tailor made for Hima to be able to contribute and the plan was that he was going to play some against Georgetown regardless but he played more because of the circumstances and that he was doing well. So to answer the original question no he’s probably not better on a long term basis.

Lol. Jesse wanted to try something new?!? No, Jesse left for the big payday, plain and simple.

Last edited:
i think hima playing some decent minutes and the anti Mccloud gang are not actually seeing whats really happening in the games.

they have some different skill sets for sure

You guys gotta be careful extrapolating the performance of a bit player coming off the bench for short spells to how their performance would be in extended minutes . It’s like the utility baseball player who seems pretty good when he gets in there and you wonder how they’d be if they got much more playing time. I’m basically telling you the cautionary tale of Randy Velarde.

Warts begin to show quite rapidly in a lot of these guys . He may be better than McCleod but I don’t see how anyone can say that with any confidence at this sample .
Randy Velarde was a solid player (although probably a PED guy), even in the seasons where he was a regular. He finished his career with 103 wRC+. There are definitely better guys to use as an example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom