are we encouraged by the pitt game? | Syracusefan.com

are we encouraged by the pitt game?

Millhouse

Living Legend
I can't decide. Stealing a game from Pitt could be very big for us.

Do we feel better about our chances to finish 4-3 after Pitt? Or did we feel better about our chances to finish 5-3 after Pitt?

I think it's a tough call. Defense looks better and we need one less win to get bowl eligible but does the offense stink again?

Anytime this program can get a win I'm encouraged. Brcause it's happened so damn infrequently for the past 10 years.

I was encouraged by the defense, though that's tempered by the fact that the BE is generally a lousy offensive conference. Still, better to play good D against it than not.

The offense sucks again, no way around that. That's super-duper discouraging.

Anytime this program can get a win I'm encouraged. Brcause it's happened so damn infrequently for the past 10 years.

I was encouraged by the defense, though that's tempered by the fact that the BE is generally a lousy offensive conference. Still, better to play good D against it than not.

The offense sucks again, no way around that. That's super-duper discouraging.
shorter way i could've asked is are you more encouraged by the d than you are discouraged about the o

shorter way i could've asked is are you more encouraged by the d than you are discouraged about the o

Yes because to be honest I am more concerned with the defense. It is their first good performance. The O has had several.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No idea how this team is going to score Saturday. Rutgers defense is legit. No way we put together 14 play drives against them.

We'll need a short field and some big plays to score.

Nova is getting better and I could see them running 10+ bubble screens against us because we seem to concede that play.

They've gotten better and we've gotten worse.

More encouraged by the defense than discouraged by the offense. The offense has definitely grown more in one offseason than in the last 10-12 seasons combined.

Something has been found that has made the offense more potent, but looks like it will now go through it's share of growing pains. Of course, now that I've posted this positive thought on a forum message board, the offense will implode in the final 7 games, and will only score 10 points the rest of the season.

I want to give the offense a mulligan, the O has been good for most of the year. I am also hoping that this was a breakthrough for the D. I would feel much more comfortable if Shiano was still coaching Rutgers.

Do we feel better about our chances to finish 4-3 after Pitt? Or did we feel better about our chances to finish 5-3 after Pitt?

I think it's a tough call. Defense looks better and we need one less win to get bowl eligible but does the offense stink again?

We've had two poor offensive performances in a row, after three relatively strong ones. That's definitely cause for concern.

The offense has regressed to the Marrone 4-year mean. I chalk up the first 3 games to teams adjusting to our new scheme. Now that d-coordinators have countered, we are suddenly predictable and lacking playmakers. I could chalk Minnesota to being on the road in a tough atmosphere, but back-to-back games is no longer an aberration - it's the new reality. The O sucks again.

Opponents have figured out our offense. It worked - or has worked - until opponents realized it was scheme rather than talent. It's become easier to defend and we haven't adjusted much. We thought we could fool people deep into the season with a no-huddle offense. Sorry. I'd like to see us try a few trick plays, something different. Not going to beat Rutgers with what we've been doing.

The offense has regressed to the Marrone 4-year mean. I chalk up the first 3 games to teams adjusting to our new scheme. Now that d-coordinators have countered, we are suddenly predictable and lacking playmakers. I could chalk Minnesota to being on the road in a tough atmosphere, but back-to-back games is no longer an aberration - it's the new reality. The O sucks again.

Specials appear to have righted themselves as well, and they're a major reason why we're not 3-2 now. So I think that's a good sign.

Relieved.

If we beat Rutgers, then I'll be encouraged.

I'm encouraged because it's a win over a team we haven't beaten in forever. Helps the team's confidence. (I know, confidence gained from the WVU game last year was worthless, but new year...)

I'm encouraged about the run defense. I didn't think they could stop a power run team with a good RB and a huge OL like that.

I'm encouraged about our running game. We're not really sticking with it too much yet, but I think there's something there that we can continue to build on. This includes now having a short yardage plan, even though it took 5 games.

I'm discouraged about the WRs. Pitt was not considered deep in the secondary, and after reading Rahme's gameplan analysis, we had considered it their weakness. But those DBs had no trouble beating up our WRs.

I'm discouraged that Nassib looked so uncomfortable in a game where I thought OL protection should have him feeling more comfortable than ever.

I'm discouraged by the 3rd down D on many occasions. The 3 man rush was doing nothing, Pitt was able to find an open man in 8 man coverage whenever they wanted. I don't think many of our sacks were on 3rd down. Maybe this week against a less experienced QB, we have more luck with 8 men back. Or hopefully we shake it up more with a few more blitzes of Nova.

Overall I just feel good that it was a win. But the odds are stacked against us winning a game again where the offense only scores on its opening drive of the game.

Yes and no.
Yes
-run defense
-penalties
-special teams
No
-offense (especially passing)
-clock management
-crowd
-pass coverage defense

Happy to beat Pitt. I'll start by saying, quietly special teams has gotten better, not great, but at least serviceable. I still don't feel good about our chances, simply because we are limited offensively and struggle to make big plays. But hey we are 1-0 in Big East so far, guess there's still time to wait and see...who knows.

Yes because to be honest I am more concerned with the defense. It is their first good performance. The O has had several.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think the defensive performance against Minny was excellent: 17 pts/337 yds when the O coughs it up 4 times.

the Minn game was all on ourselves the O stopped themselves way more than Minn did.

The pitt game
8 plays 70 yards thats almost 9 a play.. thats good

3 plays, failed 3rd and 2, two runs for 8 yards is OK, set up a good 3rd down chance, lemon was held but dropped the ball. thats nothing about scheme or play just missed a pass on 3rd down.

12 plays 70 yards.. thats a good drive, but 3rd and 4 pass for an INT.

3 plays 3rd and 4 deep in our end, we took a sack.

4 plays 23 yards, ran out of time..

so first half 4 drive, two good ones and two failures on favorable spots. thats not bad offense thats two failed plays and one bad throw. both stops came when we had two good runs and failed on 3rd and short.

2nd half.
8 plays 2 first downs stalled inside the 45, 3rd and 7
6 plays 2 first downs stalled at the 50, 3rd and 13
4 plays one first down, bad drive, 3rd and 13
6 plays one first down, completed a pass for 8 but tow runs for 1 yd, 3rd and 9
11 plays 43 yards ran out the clock

so nine real drives, 3 good ones, only two 3 and outs,

really came down to 3rd down offense, the first /second downs were fine, this isnt the old 3rd and 15 every time offense, but we need to finish off some 3rd down plays. Pitt for all the lack of success running was way better on 3rd and long, had we been solid there they probably have less than 250 yards, we had much better chances for success..

the first 2-3 games we were making plays for first downs, the last two not so much.. one good thing about throwing more, is that one good throw is often a first down. one good run usually is not.

I hate our 3 man rush defense. When you watch our LB's and DB's play zone, they don't flow with the play at all and just watch guys cross in front of their face with no communication. If SU drops 8, there will always be someone open in the flat or on a 10 yard out.

It also seems to me that all of our pass plays are to the sideline or a slant across the middle. Since it's obvious that we have no deep passing game (Nassib throwing a hail mary was like Uncle Rico trying to throw a football over that mountain), we should at least try to exploit the seams to try to get more vertical. Doesn't that seem tailor made for Broyld?

its a win against a bcs and conference opponent.

very encouraged.

I think this program needs to learn how to win. And Friday night helped us do that.

Statistically they are in the top 40-50 in offense and defense. Definitely a marked improvement.

At the beginning of the year, if you told me we'd be 2-3, I would have not been surprised. I figured a split between NW and Minn, a loss to USC and I figured a loss to Pitt. So I think we are back to par. If we were 3-2 at this point, and we are just a play or two away from that, optimism would be running wild on these message boards.

With that being said, I'm concerned about the cushion we give other teams WRs. It seems like an easy 5-10 yards every time.

I'm also concerned with Nassib looking so jittery in the pocket. It seems as though he doesn't trust his line so he bolts way too quickly sometimes. Maybe getting a speedster like Kobena back soon will help stretch the field and open things up in the middle. Not sure.

But I am more encouraged with the running game.

Punt return blocking just sucks. They can't hold their block at all.

I'm somewhat encouraged because we beat Pitt at their own game. Power running teams have given us fits over the last three seasons, hopefully last week's performance will be repeated when we play RU, L'ville and Uconn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom