are we encouraged by the pitt game? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

are we encouraged by the pitt game?

Opponents have figured out our offense. It worked - or has worked - until opponents realized it was scheme rather than talent. It's become easier to defend and we haven't adjusted much. We thought we could fool people deep into the season with a no-huddle offense. Sorry. I'd like to see us try a few trick plays, something different. Not going to beat Rutgers with what we've been doing.

It didn't look like the no-huddle for the last 3 qtrs of the Pitt game - I'd love to see them go back to it.

I'm encouraged that we play in the Big East.

People spend so much time dissecting our team in a bubble, which is fine. I like to Look around the neighborhood once in a while. At this point, i will be shocked if we dont win 4 games in conference this year. This conference is a disaster.

And to answer your question Millie, I'm less encouraged now than I was after the USC loss. I'm excited about the defensive performance but disturbed by the regression in the O. But still, I felt better after watching the Uconn-RU and Temple-USF games.

People spend so much time dissecting our team in a bubble, which is fine. I like to Look around the neighborhood once in a while. At this point, i will be shocked if we dont win 4 games in conference this year. This conference is a disaster.

And to answer your question Millie, I'm less encouraged now than I was after the USC loss. I'm excited about the defensive performance but disturbed by the regression in the O. But still, I felt better after watching the Uconn-RU and Temple-USF games.
I think we can and will beat all four of those teams you mentioned. I think that the defense is hitting their stride and the offense is going to wake up. There may be a couple more ugly wins, but I think they will be wins. Some players will be coming back, like Kobena and Flemming. Reddish will be healing up. Hopefully Shamarko will be good to go and we will head into the rest of the season taking it one game at a time, and in a few weeks we will be on a nice little winning streak.

Specials appear to have righted themselves as well, and they're a major reason why we're not 3-2 now. So I think that's a good sign.

You must have missed the two 25 yard punts and Rene's near out of bounds blunder (again).

Our offense with this group of players will continue to struggle to score. We need to not give up scoring opportunities, keep it simple in the red zone. Ryan is what he is an average college QB, who struggles if he has to create. On defense I don't know why we ever put 8 in coverage, there are always receivers wide open when we do, a lot in the middle of the field.

Sadly, over the past 3 years we've been the worst team in this "disaster" of a conference. So I guess I'm not as filled with hope as you are.

Sadly, over the past 3 years we've been the worst team in this "disaster" of a conference. So I guess I'm not as filled with hope as you are.

So with that thinking, I guess we can never work our way out of the hole.

And to be fair, just 2 years ago we won 8 games and won a bowl game. Its not really as dark as some here like to make it feel. This isn't '05 anymore. We aren't a Grob era team anymore. Clearly, there's plenty of work left to be done, and the jury is still out in how far HCDM can elevate us, but I think its fair to look at this year's performance and feel better about beating teams like Temple/USF (lost 9 of 10 league games)/Uconn etc.

So with that thinking, I guess we can never work our way out of the hole.

And to be fair, just 2 years ago we won 8 games and won a bowl game. Its not really as dark as some here like to make it feel. This isn't '05 anymore. We aren't a Grob era team anymore. Clearly, there's plenty of work left to be done, and the jury is still out in how far HCDM can elevate us, but I think its fair to look at this year's performance and feel better about beating teams like Temple/USF (lost 9 of 10 league games)/Uconn etc.

I predicted a 4-8 season so my pessimism is consistent.

shorter way i could've asked is are you more encouraged by the d than you are discouraged about the o

More discouraged about the O than encouraged by the D. Wish they would go back to the no huddle O.

I predicted a 4-8 season so my pessimism is consistent.

You're happily going to be proven wrong this year. And I find it hard to believe you haven't seen any bit of progress that we shouldn't beat the 2012 versions of Uconn, Temple, and USF.

You're happily going to be proven wrong this year. And I find it hard to believe you haven't seen any bit of progress that we shouldn't beat the 2012 versions of Uconn, Temple, and USF.

I would love to be proven wrong. I welcome it, in fact. I want to dine on delicious crow. Sweet, tasty crow.

I think those 3 teams are lousy, and we should absolutely win those games. I'm just so beaten down by this program that I do not expect it.

To be fair, though, if we end up 5-7 instead of 4-8 is it really that big of a deal?

I would love to be proven wrong. I welcome it, in fact. I want to dine on delicious crow. Sweet, tasty crow.

I think those 3 teams are lousy, and we should absolutely win those games. I'm just so beaten down by this program that I do not expect it.

To be fair, though, if we end up 5-7 instead of 4-8 is it really that big of a deal?

I get the beaten down thing, but for me, i have learned to separate the calamity that was the Grob era and the mediocrity of the Marrone era. I think some still group those two eras together. For me, The 2010 team was the divider between the hopelessness of the Grob era and the Mediocrity of the Marrone era. I now expect to win some games especially against lesser teams (yes, I know we have been a lesser team ourselves but there are degrees of suckiness).

I see progress in our play, and now it needs to be translated into wins against like competition. That is why this is a big year for Marrone IMO. We are no longer behind the 8 ball depth wise, nor talent wise in this league. He needs to have a winning year in conference to atleast creep this thing forward.

And to answer your last question, yes, a one game difference in a 12 game schedule is meaningful to me. Obviously the difference between 5 and 6 wins being much more meaningful than 4 and 5 but 5-7 means we had a winning conference record. I would be able to find the positive in that compared to last years free fall.

I figured Shafer would coach up his guys as the sdason progressed, which might be happening a bit sooner than I anticipated.
I think the guys saying that DC's have figured us out and now Hackett needs to respond. Just don't know about him.
So, while I am envisages by th D, I am more discouraged by the O.

The 8 win season was a backfield of carter and bailey, smith and gulley aren't close to that ability on offense. The defense had a healthy jones along with smith and hogue much better team. With this team 5 or 6 wins I'll be happy for this year. I just which our coach hadn't wasted the freshmen years of broyld and morgan. Unless a freshmen is going to start, they shouldn't be playing at all in yr 4 of the rebuilding. Evaluating talent properly is still a problem with our staff, in the future all freshmen should redshirt.

Great to get the win but the Northwestern loss was more encougaing. because we gained almost 600 ayrds and should have won by 3-4 touchdowns. We held onto the Pitt game using our fingernails. Will we have one turnover and 3 penalities in the next game or 4 and 10 like against Minny? It was a win but not one that has me dremaing about more just like it.

The 8 win season was a backfield of carter and bailey, smith and gulley aren't close to that ability on offense. The defense had a healthy jones along with smith and hogue much better team. With this team 5 or 6 wins I'll be happy for this year. I just which our coach hadn't wasted the freshmen years of broyld and morgan. Unless a freshmen is going to start, they shouldn't be playing at all in yr 4 of the rebuilding. Evaluating talent properly is still a problem with our staff, in the future all freshmen should redshirt.

Respectfully disagree. First, rebuilding programs do not have that luxury and second, every player and every position is different and part of coaching is deciding how best to develop the talent they have. Remember we have two talented backs that are redshirting.

BTW I would like to see more of Morgan and Broyld.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom