Are we finally done with this class? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are we finally done with this class?

I know that JB rewards walk-ons with a year to year scholarship. So that means we could potentially be open for one more recruit if we take Nolan's scholarship; correct? I guess that would be if we had a "big fish" kind of recruit who was interested. I take it by rewarding walk-ons with a scholarship it protects our APR. If not we save it for the next year where we would have potentially, barring what happens in the off-season, CJ, BMK, and an open scholarship if we don't use it this year.

So 5 coming in '13, with one that can be opened... 3 in '14, barring who stays and goes adding the one/no walk-on scholarship,... 3 in '15, again barring who stays and goes/no walk-on scholarship.

Are we are still interested in Jaren Siva?? He was a top 100 prospect a year ago.

I love his shot form. Probably won't do much in isolation and might have defensive woes but as a shooter who is considered a pg by many he might be worth a look.

I agree about the ball handler, but this is an excellent recruiting class with a ton of potential. Add returning players and you can see we're pretty deep. Say MCW goes, and worst case scenario of losing Christmas just due to potential and Chino redshirts:

C Options include BMK, DC2
PF Options include DC2, Grant, Roberson, CJ
SF Options include CJ, Roberson, BJ, Grant, MikeG
SG Options include MikeG, Cooney, Patterson, BJ
PG Options include Ennis

I am not creating a lineup here. Only JB and the coaching staff will know who they want and where they want them, but as you can see, many great options from the 2 through 5 and that's if we lost Rak and Chino, which may or may not happen.

Seems like of the shooting guards, and similar to this year's roster, we would need 10 minutes or so with a secondary ball handler. So either MikeG, Cooney, Patterson or BJ can handle up against fast 6' tall ACC guards, or we get in the mix for another 2013 ball handler. Francis, if you're watching, do you think the staff has any plans for a combo guard or secondary ball handler or are we close to wrapping this party up with a side of Wiggins miracle?

We are ridiculously stacked no matter how you look at it, but with some unforeseen, could be in trouble without another handler than a frosh Ennis. He's going to be solid off the bat, but it's asking a lot for any 1st year player to bring up the ball for 35+ minutes.

I have a decent feeling unless they make a late push for Wiggins, that we're all set, and one or two of the guards will develop a solid handle. They do have a good half season to try the MikeG\Cooney experiment in practice to see if it's possible now. But if not, and we did lose a couple of underclassmen, we would have scholly options.
Diagree on a couple of things in your depth chart.

1. Chino only shirts if X stays. X will almost definitely stay - I just don't see his game at the next level. Way too small for an NBA 5 & way too unskilled for an NBA 4. If he keeps improving maybe he has a nice career in Europe down the road.

2. DC2 does not have a game suitable for the 4 spot. He is a pure 5.

3. Roberson will probably only get minutes at the four - so though to some extent our 3 & 4 are inherently interchangeable.

4. Don't ask me why, but my gut tells me that Patterson will surprise & be the backup PG.

I see our starters being:

C - X (though DC2 could pull ahead with a strong summer - that is, of course, not counting Jimmy's silly game of three minute nominal starters).

PF - Grant

SF - CJ

2G - Mike G

PG Ennis

Good predictions, only position really up for grabs is Center. I think that DC2 works on what he needs to over the summer and comes back ready to take the position. 3 centers are difficult with playing time issues. It would be great if Christmas made a quantum leap (no pun intended) to grap the PF spot. That would set up a nice rotation at both forward and center positions.

1. Chino only shirts if X goes. X will almost definitely stay - I just don't see his game at the next level. Way too small for an NBA 5 & way too unskilled for an NBA 4. If he keeps improving maybe he has a nice career in Europe down the road.

3. Roberson will probably only get minutes at the four - so though to some extent our 3 & 4 are inherently interchangeable.

4. Don't ask me why, but my gut tells me that Patterson will surprise & be the backup PG.

C - X (though DC2 could pull ahead with a strong summer - that is, of course, not counting Jimmy's silly game of three minute nominal starters).

PF - Grant

SF - CJ

2G - Mike G

PG Ennis
Yup, you've got more of the way of it than mine.
It's funny, I looked back on my same post recently and thought, what hit me on the head that day?
Me and a few others were way too hyped on Rak early in the season. He is playing well lately, but you're right, I am not sure he's leaving early now. Still, I can see Roberson filling in for more minutes once he gets his feet wet.
:)

1. Chino only shirts if X goes. X will almost definitely stay - I just don't see his game at the next level. Way too small for an NBA 5 & way too unskilled for an NBA 4. If he keeps improving maybe he has a nice career in Europe down the road.

PF - Grant

SF - CJ

2G - Mike G

PG Ennis
I worry about CJ jumping ship for the $. He has enough game to interest the pros and his outside shot is starting to make some noise now.No reason to think he won't go unless its to fine tune his game for a better signing paycheck.

PF - Grant

SF - CJ

2G - Mike G

PG Ennis

Saw Patterson earlier this year and don't see him as a point. Average handle and likes to play away from the ball except when his team is on the break. It's going to be backup point guard by committee next year. Not promising,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worry about CJ jumping ship for the $. He has enough game to interest the pros and his outside shot is starting to make some noise now.No reason to think he won't go unless its to fine tune his game for a better signing paycheck.
Yes, I worry about that as well. Teams draft mostly for upsaide, and that is where CJ's game is "limited." If he went now it would mostly likely be in the 2nd round. I think he stays & plays himself into the first round as our go to guy next season.

Isnt Duane Notice still out there???

I thought he was 2013. 6'3 seems like a real humble down to earth bright kid built for physical play. Isolation abilities. Junior Jordan Brand classic mvp shows he rises to the occasion, good court vision.

Isnt Duane Notice still out there???

I thought he was 2013. 6'3 seems like a real humble down to earth bright kid built for physical play. Isolation abilities. Junior Jordan Brand classic mvp shows he rises to the occasion, good court vision.
If the staff was to take a flyer on an PG late. Outside of Rysheed Jordan, Notice, Jaren Sina, and Bishop Kearney's Antwoine Anderson would be the best of the rest imho.

If the staff was to take a flyer on an PG late. Outside of Rysheed Jordan, Notice, Jaren Sina, and Bishop Kearney's Antwoine Anderson would be the best of the rest imho.
I guess we can take Notice off the list now since he has committed to South Carolina.

Thets just grab a 6'8 point forward instead. :D

Jason Boswell out of NC looks like a really good prospect. Needs to develop another gear and work on some scrappyness, but has all the tools. They say hes 6'8.
(edit I remember we were on him earlier when he was a 6'6 guard. Would be a great grab.)

Was in town (Rochester) for Easter and watched the elite 8 game with a friend of mine that has some connections in the basketball scene. He said most people in town think Anderson was the best player on BK this year and will be a very good player in college. His upside obviously is not as high as Bryant, but he could be a good get for someone.

Was in town (Rochester) for Easter and watched the elite 8 game with a friend of mine that has some connections in the basketball scene. He said most people in town think Anderson was the best player on BK this year and will be a very good player in college. His upside obviously is not as high as Bryant, but he could be a good get for someone.
Yup. Bryant obviously has the major upside but BK doesn't win the section and state chips without Anderson leading the way.

Good predictions, only position really up for grabs is Center. I think that DC2 works on what he needs to over the summer and comes back ready to take the position. 3 centers are difficult with playing time issues. It would be great if Christmas made a quantum leap (no pun intended) to grap the PF spot. That would set up a nice rotation at both forward and center positions.
If Moose were to be instructed and supervised in the off season in the weight room and nutrition he might be able to add the additional strength and body mass to make himself far more than just good next season. Get sat the minimum 20lbs ,preferably 25lbs He would be far more formidable for rebounding and low scoring "put backs".Of course he would be less apt to be pushed around down there.The metabolism argument is BS.Give him the correct calories and weight work and his body will respond accordingly.

I guess we can take Notice off the list now since he has committed to South Carolina.

Was he just overhyped a bit a few years ago? I remember some people saying he was a real physical, explosive guard like in the mold of Dwayne Wade. Maybe an injury as well?

No injury. He was just physically more mature than everyone else his age up until grade 11. He went to the Jordan Brand International Game and won MVP playing alongside Anthony Bennett and Kevin Pangos. Also was 2nd youngest on Canada U17 team that had Bennett, Wiggins, Pangos, Hanlan, Webster-Chan, Dyshawn Pierre, etc... Got a lot of early hype from media in Canada. Great kid. Really great kid. Good combo guard. Will do well at South Carolina. I sat with Bernie two years ago at one of his high school games and despite the fact that he hit a 40 foot buzzer beater to win the game, Bernie did not seem to think he was a Syracuse level recruit.

Was he just overhyped a bit a few years ago? I remember some people saying he was a real physical, explosive guard like in the mold of Dwayne Wade. Maybe an injury as well?
Toronto Cuse touched on everything you needed to know about Notice. He's a solid player, who I thought could have helped with depth in the PG department.

We can chop Anderson off the list now as well since he's headed to Fordham.

No injury. He was just physically more mature than everyone else his age up until grade 11. He went to the Jordan Brand International Game and won MVP playing alongside Anthony Bennett and Kevin Pangos. Also was 2nd youngest on Canada U17 team that had Bennett, Wiggins, Pangos, Hanlan, Webster-Chan, Dyshawn Pierre, etc... Got a lot of early hype from media in Canada. Great kid. Really great kid. Good combo guard. Will do well at South Carolina. I sat with Bernie two years ago at one of his high school games and despite the fact that he hit a 40 foot buzzer beater to win the game, Bernie did not seem to think he was a Syracuse level recruit.

Thanks. Wow. Sounds like a fail on Bernie. I'll be interested to see how he fares in the SEC. Might just tear up that conference like the way BJ Mckie did for the Gamecocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom