Are we going to dismiss the fact that a game deciding call went against us again? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Are we going to dismiss the fact that a game deciding call went against us again?

So if I’m guarding a guy in the post with my arms up, the guy with the ball can just hammer into me as much as he wants but I can’t do anything?

Playing out of control on offense shouldn’t be rewarded either.
If you are Armando Bacot you can. :p Happened all that game in our game with him - look around 1:50 sec into this tape at the beginning of the 2nd half -just the first example of Bacot continuously pounding into Jesse - even his head snaps back from the force. Foul on Edwards . Then about 4:05 another Foul on Edwards…??

check your plus/minuses for the season free throws and fouls and tell me again why you're angry.

J Taylor was wide open on the other side of the court and J Edwards had a clear angle to skip the ball to him. Or, out to Mintz to him. Anything, but what he did.

Read and react, as opposed to pre-determine and act.
On the other hand Jesse is top three in the ACC in field goal % and is driving on a shorter guy.

Looked to me like he established his two feet back in bounds before he touched it although it was very close
7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the
floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns
inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not
leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and
momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back
onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and
did not have control of the ball when he/she did.

99% of plays like that are flops. If they stop rewarding these kids flailing and hitting the floor every single time a big man backs them down they’d stop.

I'm way more troubled by that one play where the 70s adult film star-looking UVA player went out of bounds and was the first to touch it after he came back in and promptly scored. I don't understand how that was missed.
You can do that so long as you establish position inbounds before touching it. He did travel on a hop and Jesse was mauled underneath all game.

I thought it was a block cause the defender was moving with the ball handler and was nowhere near being set or in an established guarding position. He was shuffling his feet.

Loved the officials missing the obvious inbounds play and the same dude had a very obvious travel for a layup to, both not called. The travel was worse

7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the
floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns
inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not
leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and
momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back
onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and
did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
Not directed just to Jesse but all our players, but in this play my issue is how did it even happen? How was the UVA player able to take a few steps out of bounds, head back inbounds and still corral that rebound allowing them to score? Where were we? I bet it’s that stuff that drives Boeheim , any good coach absolutely crazy- why didn’t we get that rebound or be in position to even rebound, defend? It has to drive him nuts looking frame by frame wondering about our player’s reactions, aggressiveness, ability and effort to even be in position to battle for crucial rebounds. Jesse went for the head fake allowing the UVA player to go straight to the basket that he misses, then more ‘oh no’s’ including Judah going for the steal & whiffing, leaving Clark alone for the 3. Just can’t make all those execution mistakes trying to close out a game for a win.

Starts at around the 32 second mark.

i noticed that the announcer who cried foul initially backed off and deferred to those with answers.
also appeared (didn't watch a replay) that judah got away with a rather obvious carry late. (maybe somebody has evidence contrary ?)

Last edited:
Somebody here needs to refresh my memory as to when Syracuse got a crucial game changing call at the end of a game in the ACC. Because I can't think of one.
I’m thinking it was the “Amazing” game against Duke. Coach K was totally “amazed” the last call didn’t go in his favor and we squeaked out the win. Seems like a long time ago.

I’m thinking it was the “Amazing” game against Duke. Coach K was totally “amazed” the last call didn’t go in his favor and we squeaked out the win. Seems like a long time ago.
And even that was just a 50/50 loose ball battle that our guy won. If they had blown a whistle I bet it would’ve went against us.

When there’s an actual whistle on a big play, it never seems to go our way anymore.

The one I liked was the guy jumping over Judah for the layup while Judah had his head down and his arms close to his body to protect his head - maybe it was the right call, but it looked ridiculous for Judah to be called for it.

Not directed just to Jesse but all our players, but in this play my issue is how did it even happen? How was the UVA player able to take a few steps out of bounds, head back inbounds and still corral that rebound allowing them to score? Where were we? I bet it’s that stuff that drives Boeheim , any good coach absolutely crazy- why didn’t we get that rebound or be in position to even rebound, defend? It has to drive him nuts looking frame by frame wondering about our player’s reactions, aggressiveness, ability and effort to even be in position to battle for crucial rebounds. Jesse went for the head fake allowing the UVA player to go straight to the basket that he misses, then more ‘oh no’s’ including Judah going for the steal & whiffing, leaving Clark alone for the 3. Just can’t make all those execution mistakes trying to close out a game for a win.

Starts at around the 32 second mark.
Exactly.

At 3:10ish, Vanderplaas flies out of bounds, then hops inbounds, saves a ball, and they hit a 3. An amazing play on his part.

At the same time, Justin was tied up. Not quite sure what he was doing. He is not visible, maybe on the floor? then all of a sudden he appears. Joe comes all the way from his area to help. Good effort on his part. But, at the point of contact, he is unable to disrupt Vanderplaas in any way. Wish he could have tipped that pass. Jesse and Maliq were passive in their areas of the zone and just watching. Not sure what Judah did to help the 3 point shooter that Joe left open.

So, it was Justin's area of the zone and he has 2 players in it, and his nearest help player Jesse is standing under the hoop passively.

Frustrating to lose these 50 50 balls.

The one I liked was the guy jumping over Judah for the layup while Judah had his head down and his arms close to his body to protect his head - maybe it was the right call, but it looked ridiculous for Judah to be called for it.
That pass was uncatchable too.