Are we going to have to 11 scholarship players next year? | Syracusefan.com

Are we going to have to 11 scholarship players next year?

Alsacs

Living Legend
If this isn't priority number for the staff then I am worried.

I mean W-T-F are the coaches doing?
We have 9 scholarships used for 2017 if everyone returns.
We want Ayala to be the 10th guy.
Are we recruiting an 11th guy? Or is that basically earmarked for a JUCO or 5th year guy.

My feeling is that at least 2 out of 3 of Lydon, Battle, and Howard will be gone next year. So based on where we stand now, yeah we'll have 11 scholarship players, because we will be throwing 1 or 2 at a walk-on.

My feeling is that at least 2 out of 3 of Lydon, Battle, and Howard will be gone next year. So based on where we stand now, yeah we'll have 11 scholarship players, because we will be throwing 1 or 2 at a walk-on.
Throwing any at walkons when we are already down 2 scholarships is just so stupid.
We aren't a deep team as is. Wasting scholarships on walkons now would be stupid. Hire tutors for the APR.
It's not hard to get kids to keep 2.0
GPAs and go to class.

Throwing any at walkons when we are already down 2 scholarships is just so stupid.
We aren't a deep team as is. Wasting scholarships on walkons now would be stupid. Hire tutors for the APR.
It's not hard to get kids to keep 2.0
GPAs and go to class.
I wasn't suggesting that they really should. I guess I should have added the sarcasm in parenthesis. It was more an explaination of my worry about them actually being able to field a full competitive ACC roster at this point. I mean we barely can this year!

tumblr_lon4mtlXAT1qb4bkbo1_500.gif

Are we recruiting an 11th guy? Or is that basically earmarked for a JUCO or 5th year guy.

I'm incredulous to how the coaching staff is in a position where we're even having this be a legit topic of discussion. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because they've earned it over the years but when you talk about managing a college basketball team, especially at this level, having enough division one caliber players to conduct a 5 on 5 scrimmage in practice is literally one of the bare minimum tasks. We currently have two (2) scholarship perimeter players penciled in on the entire roster next year.

And this is with a generous outlook that Howard, Lydon, and others will all be back.

Last edited:
It's incredulous to me how the coaching staff is in a position where we're even having this be a legit topic of discussion. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because they've earned it over the years but when you talk about managing a college basketball team, especially at this level, having enough division one caliber players to conduct a 5 on 5 scrimmage in practice is literally one of the bare minimum tasks. We currently have two (2) scholarship perimeter players penciled in on the entire roster next year.

And this is with a generous outlook that Howard, Lydon, and others will all be back.

I'll bet, by the time the recruiting cycle is complete and the NBA draft has come and gone, we'll have at least 10 D1 scholarship athletes on the roster for next year, and at least 4 of them will be perimeter players

Pretty sure we only have 8 scholarships accounted for, and that's including Lydon/Battle.

AW
Gillon
DC
Roberson

Lydon
Howard
Chukwu
Battle
Thompson
Moyer
Brissett
Sidibe

That's an awful team, even if Lydon/Battle return.

I'm guessing we'll need to add at least 3 more players, and possibly up to 5, just to have a full roster for practices. That's pathetic and an absolute mark against the staff.

Pretty sure we only have 8 scholarships accounted for, and that's including Lydon/Battle.

AW
Gillon
DC
Roberson

Lydon
Howard
Chukwu
Battle
Thompson
Moyer
Brissett
Sidibe

That's an awful team, even if Lydon/Battle return.

I'm guessing we'll need to add at least 3 more players, and possibly up to 5, just to have a full roster for practices. That's pathetic and an absolute mark against the staff.
I wouldn't count Howard. If he is on the team next year I will be pissed at JB and company.

I'll bet, by the time the recruiting cycle is complete and the NBA draft has come and gone, we'll have at least 10 D1 scholarship athletes on the roster for next year, and at least 4 of them will be perimeter players

I agree and am sure we'll have 10 by the time next season tips off as well, I mean like I said that's like the bare minimum of the staff's responsibilities. There's a difference though between building a sustained, steady roster and scrambling to piece a full team together in the spring/summer before the coming season.

This isn't like they're coaching their son's rec league team on the side. Their full time job, and what they get paid very, very well to do, is to manage a basketball program.

Last edited:
I'm concerned we will behind the 8 ball for a few more years as far as filling rosters. The 5th year grad transfer route is a fix that hurts us with long-term depth. Maybe not having a senior next year (outside of grade transfer/s) will help a bit. That's why it peeves me when posters say guys like Moyer aren't cut out for this level. (Even though he is) We need a few 4 year guys to build some depth.

It's very clear that we are heading in a very bad direction. Can't sugarcoat it.

2017 is a lost cause as far as getting who we want. Need to sign Ayala and Duerte and get a head start on 2018 with our top targets now.

2017 is a lost cause as far as getting who we want. Need to sign Ayala and Duerte and get a head start on 2018 with our top targets now.
Of course, but will those top guys want to play for Hop? Are we telling them that Hop will 100% be their coach?

We better be if we want to get some talent in here.

I know all that Syracuse offers but I'm wondering what the, "play for Hop," pitch is. How is it spun as a great thing to recruits? "He's a really nice guy?" Hop is a total unknown. Duh. It'll be a leap of faith to commit to playing for him in his first year.

I know all that Syracuse offers but I'm wondering what the, "play for Hop," pitch is. How is it spun as a great thing to recruits? "He's a really nice guy?" Hop is a total unknown. Duh. It'll be a leap of faith to commit to playing for him in his first year.

I hear what you're saying but I don't think we are in a unique situation. Doesn't UNC and Louisville have to recruit knowing they have the NCAA breathing down their neck. Doesn't Duke have to recruit now going forward taking into account coach K's age and health. How will recruits feel about playing for Capel? We should have the advantage over UNC and Louisville going forward because we have most of our issues behind us. It's a weird scenario in the ACC right now with these dinosaur coaches.

I hear what you're saying but I don't think we are in a unique situation. Doesn't UNC and Louisville have to recruit knowing they have the NCAA breathing down their neck. Doesn't Duke have to recruit now going forward taking into account coach K's age and health. How will recruits feel about playing for Capel? We should have the advantage over UNC and Louisville going forward because we have most of our issues behind us. It's a weird scenario in the ACC right now with these dinosaur coaches.

I gave you a like because it does make sense but the fact remains that OUR situation is tenuous at best. And as you have been saying, our staff is doing odd stuff. I have no confidence we have a plan. Maybe the NCAA issues are in our rear view, true.

(And come on, the NCAA is going to hammer UNC/ Louisvillle? K will be back and isn't going anywhere for probably at least 5 years)

Last edited:
I gave you a like because it does make sense but the remains that OUR situation is tenuous at best. And as you have been saying, our staff is doing odd stuff. I have no confidence we have a plan. Maybe the NCAA issues are in our rear view, true.

(And come on, the NCAA is going to hammer UNC/ Louisvillle? K will be back and isn't going anywhere for probably at least 5 years)

You think K is going to coach until he's at least 75?

I don't agree with the staffs strategy either, but I've never been more confident the hammer will come down on UNC now especially. The last report pretty much did them in as far as special treatment given to the basketball team. I guess I'm just a little more optimistic than you in that regard.

As I said 2017 is a lost cause as far as getting difference making talent, but there's still time to get a good haul in 2018 if we can straighten our our strategy.

You think K is going to coach until he's at least 75?

I don't agree with the staffs strategy either, but I've never been more confident the hammer will come down on UNC now especially. The last report pretty much did them in as far as special treatment given to the basketball team. I guess I'm just a little more optimistic than you in that regard.

As I said 2017 is a lost cause as far as getting difference making talent, but there's still time to get a good haul in 2018 if we can straighten our our strategy.

I'd be shocked if K doesn't go 5 more years.

I hope UNC gets what they deserve but I just don't see it happening. NCAA will find some way around it.

We have no strategy to straighten out. LOL. Maybe there's time if we GET a strategy.

I don't see our staff working as hard the freaking situation looks.
We went all in for one guy at PG this cycle.
Other situations screwed us on other guards but this staff just has the mindset of we will piece it together.
The staff better come thru for next cycle.
Knock GMac off lead like Francis said and let Hopkins do it.

I don't see our staff working as hard the freaking situation looks.
We went all in for one guy at PG this cycle.
Other situations screwed us on other guards but this staff just has the mindset of we will piece it together.
The staff better come thru for next cycle.
Knock GMac off lead like Francis said and let Hopkins do it.
I don't believe that for one second. I think they are very aware of the potential consequences of not being active. I have to believe that they care at least as much as we do.

I don't believe that for one second. I think they are very aware of the potential consequences of not being active. I have to believe that they care at least as much as we do.
We only actively recruited one PG this cycle.
That is such a bad mistake it's unbelievable.
I am not going to hammer them for the SGs we missed.
We are going to struggle to have 11 scholarship athletes. That is the frustration.

We only actively recruited one PG this cycle.
That is such a bad mistake it's unbelievable.
I am not going to hammer them for the SGs we missed.
We are going to struggle to have 11 scholarship athletes. That is the frustration.
Understand this. The staff thought, and they were very wrong, but they thought that pt guard was not a priority this cycle. That is a fact. They went after Green because they thought they could get him. The staff was 100% sold on Howard.

Understand this. The staff thought, and they were very wrong, but they thought that pt guard was not a priority this cycle. That is a fact. They went after Green because they thought they could get him. The staff was 100% sold on Howard.

That's really bad. Even if they thought Howard was going to be an eventual star, having one pure point guard next year is still not ideal. Really bad planning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom